The Leather Jacket Thread

Iron Horse

8 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

That's exactly why I went with an A-2 instead of a double rider style jacket. I would have felt like a poser. :P

This is also in part why I went with the Sunset from freewheelers to satisfy my cross zip craving. I really doubt anyone is going to confuse me for an actual biker or poser-biker wearing a yellow-orange deerskin jacket with button cuffs.

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Those 2 different grains are playing havoc with my OCD!

Mine too. I'm getting that uncontrollable twitch again... 

8 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

This is also in part why I went with the Sunset from freewheelers to satisfy my cross zip craving. I really doubt anyone is going to confuse me for an actual biker or poser-biker wearing a yellow-orange deerskin jacket with button cuffs.

kind of on topic, but this real mccoy x lewis leathers deerskin is my grail jacket.  too bad it has no place in my budget at the moment...

http://www.realmccoys.co.jp/blog/shop/2019/03/lewis-leathers-supermonza.html

I agree, though very late, the 'James' is a much more versatile wear.

Speaking of, my Flathead Rider and Racer jackets have been worn quite a lot these past few months, thought whilst I have a decent camera in my hands I'd snap some pics.

First 3 pics are of the Rider, next 3 are of the racer. Stitching is immaculate throughout, as you might expect.

I have to say, even for Shinki leather, the Rider leather is on some other planet.

The extra "greasing" process Flathead put this one through (if anyone speaks Japanese - https://www.flat-head.com/items/srj-07c/ ) has resulted in just the juiciest leather I've ever handled, and I've been to Tokyo and handled, bought and worn tonnes of Shinki.

The Racer leather is also gorgeous; a much more familiar Shinki kind of leather for those who've owned any.

P1000344.JPG

P1000342.JPG

P1000343.JPG

P1000345.JPG

P1000346.JPG

P1000348.JPG

Edited by Aries

Ive had a FW's Brakeman for a good few years now, ive found the sleeves to be in proportion, well maybe 1/2" too long to allow for a bit of stacking, those Rakuten staff have def sized it wrong :rolleyes:

IMG_3125

I haven't had an issue with single origin sleeve dunkage but that's mainly because im an un-cultured Nescafe Gold Blend kind of fellow...

Edited by Double 0 Soul

19 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@Aries I keep coming back to look at your Rider's leather - great shots - it looks superb.

Ha yeah I understand. I’ve felt all the best shinki, from Freewheelers to RMC and other brands using it, and this particular process Flathead put it through just takes it to another level, the grain and feel in person is insane; one of those where you have slightly strange situations with friends asking to touch you because of your jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, mpukas said:

@Broark - whut up w/ ur jacket search at SESF? 

So it turns out the jacket did not fit sadly. Sleeves and shoulders were perfect, but the midsection and chest were too snug. Kiya said he could ask if they’d make me a custom 48. I also got to meet the Fine Creek guys which was really cool. They’re super nice guys, and I’d love to own a leather jacket made by them.

E363C480-C95E-44DE-9D9D-0EE338FF76E2.jpeg

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Thank you! It definitely ages faster than my Flathead jacket. 

Yeah, the Flat Head jackets with tea core don't seem to age too quickly. There are other Shinki hides that get into the tea core very quickly, but not all. The Fine Creek jackets do seem to start fading to brown almost immediately.

What I like about it is that it's not chipping off like some tea core finishes, but instead is more smoothly and naturally fading to brown.

15 minutes ago, Max Power said:

You're totally right. My Iron Heart jacket stays pretty dark but gets super light in areas with friction. The FCL just seems to fade to brown smoothly overall. 

Yeah all my tea core jackets have been like your Iron Heart jacket. They all chip away to a light color underneath.

I think I have seen some leathers similar to the FCL jacket, including shinki. 

This Shinki jacket, for example, appears to have aged similarly to how yours is aging. 

qm2KCSM.jpg

8ktD4Kg.jpg

INjU2lC.jpg

sFkLTyB.jpg