The Leather Jacket Thread

Iron Horse

For myself an Aero Highwayman today! Got it in a size 40. Opinions in the fit? 

I really like it, but breaking in leather jackets is a new domain for me but my raw denim experience tells me, that the fit will change as i break it in. Shoulders and sleeves feel perfect. Definitely plenty of  room in the body. Thought it’d be trimmer. Hang tag size 24.25” p2p. 

49F1BCAC-649A-49B5-B2B7-9368FEAA8BF0.jpeg

FB2D97E4-1F22-456D-BB53-2752DBA16217.jpeg

A5E369C4-FF1D-4ACD-A67A-CA1E32374A1D.jpeg

I know many modern interpretations are ‘slimmed’ down to suit the contemporary aesthetic, and often the original might have been cut as an over-jacket or to accommodate multiple under-layers, or even to allow for movement in bending the back (leaning forward on a motorcycle for example), but then similar allowances would have been made on the sleeves.

In fairness though, I think the jacket could hang quite well after a good bit of heavy wear. The stiffness of the leather isn’t helping the image at the moment.

I don't think the jacket looks all that bad. Just seems like a crazy sizing process, like you said it could be originally designed as an overcoat or something...
The only thing I don't particularly like about Aero jackets is the size of the collars. But that's a personal preference.

19 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Your jeans have a chest size? That’s a very high rise ...

Didn't you hear? That's how they're fixing the sizing issues on the TCB 40s jeans. They're not changing the size chart or measurements at all, they're just going to change the "waist" measurement to say "chest" instead.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, Duke Mantee said:

I know many modern interpretations are ‘slimmed’ down to suit the contemporary aesthetic, and often the original might have been cut as an over-jacket or to accommodate multiple under-layers, or even to allow for movement in bending the back (leaning forward on a motorcycle for example), but then similar allowances would have been made on the sleeves.

In fairness though, I think the jacket could hang quite well after a good bit of heavy wear. The stiffness of the leather isn’t helping the image at the moment.

This was my thought, after some breaking in it could be perfect, and if there is space to wear something a little heavier under it? All the better.

• 3 weeks later...