The Leather Jacket Thread

Iron Horse

• 2 weeks later...

Alright boys, I think it's finally happening.
I'm going out to SESF for their re-opening and I'm finally going to get to try on a Fine Creek Leathers jacket.
Now the question is do I get the James or Leon? I've always leaned towards the James, but my girlfriend seems to like the Leon more.
Obviously it'll come down to which one looks and fits better on me, but interested in hearing everyone's feedback as well.
James:
finecreek_james_42_01-680x1025.jpg
Leon:
finecreek_leon_42_01-680x1025.jpg

They are both bad ass, go with the one that fits best but if you want an opinion I think the James would look good on you.

I ran into the guys who make Fine Creek a few weeks ago here in Tokyo and got to check out a bunch of their jackets. Super cool dudes and they make a great product. I wish that there had been a jacket in my size available but unfortunately they apparently don't make many in my size for the Japanese market. 

On photos alone I'm leaning towards the James, it's a bit simpler and I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off a riders jacket like the Leon. :blink:
Fit will definitely be the main factor in my decision, which is why I haven't jumped on one yet. Leather jackets seem like something you need try on before you buy.
The FCL guys seem really cool, but it does seem like they only make up to 44 for the Japanese market.
And if they don't fit maybe I can convince Kiya to reach out and see if they can make on in a 48 since they've had events offering custom sizing in the past. 

I’m going in with an open mind, and whichever fits better will likely be the winner. I’ve just always thought the riders style was too much for me, but I’ve also never tried it on before so who knows. I’ll be out there the 22nd through the 25th, so watch this thread around then. :ph34r:

@Broark Personal minimalist opinion, I like the James. To me, that's nearly perfect. One thing I've wondered, and have been meaning to ask @kiya for a long time, is re: the belt at the back - is it sewn into the back panels, or is it free-floating. I can't tell from the pics... Saying that, the I really like FCL's Leon take on the double rider's jacket. Usually they're far too busy, but this being stripped down makes it less pretentious and ostentatious. Fit will be what matters most, as you know. You could pull off either, but I do think the James is more your style. 

32 minutes ago, mpukas said:

@Broark Personal minimalist opinion, I like the James. To me, that's nearly perfect. One thing I've wondered, and have been meaning to ask @kiya for a long time, is re: the belt at the back - is it sewn into the back panels, or is it free-floating. I can't tell from the pics... Saying that, the I really like FCL's Leon take on the double rider's jacket. Usually they're far too busy, but this being stripped down makes it less pretentious and ostentatious. Fit will be what matters most, as you know. You could pull off either, but I do think the James is more your style. 

That belt is sewn into the back, only the little straps to the sides aren't sewn down.

fit first, style second?

try and then try again (and then try one more time)

Leon sure looks nice; don't deny yourself due to self-perception in terms of style ... go with the style you like ... [almost every time I buy based on someone else's opinion I end up regretting it ... ]

but; my opinion: the James looks like it requires a pretty svelte physique in terms of fit? [or is model just wearing really small?] looks like there is nowhere to hide in that thing ...

Off topic: but I personally am really enjoying the grumpiness of this piece... [which tilts me towards James territory]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

2 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

but; my opinion: the James looks like it requires a pretty svelte physique in terms of fit? [or is model just wearing really small?] looks like there is nowhere to hide in that thing ...

I think the model could be wearing it a little small, his measurements listed aren't massively off from mine (6'3", 230, he's listed at 6'2" 195) and I'm looking at a 46 while he's modeling a 42.
I like both styles, I've just always thought I would go for a more simple leather jacket which is why the James has always had my eye.
That being said if the Leon fits massively better and I like how it looks on then it's an easy decision.

5 minutes ago, mpukas said:

Not to steal broak's thunder... just sayin', I'm a big fan of the Brakeman coat (in any color) 

I like the Brakeman from FW as well, FCL has a model that's very similar.

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

James gets my vote, looks easier to  wear 

Surely they’re both equally easy- you just put your arms through the sleeves, pull them on and away you go, no instructions necessary! :P

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

I like the Brakeman from FW as well, FCL has a model that's very similar.

Not sure I'm into the mixed textures on the different panels <_< Is that a FCL thing? 

8 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Surely they’re both equally easy- you just put your arms through the sleeves, pull them on and away you go, no instructions necessary! :P

So that's why I'm struggling to leave the house on time each morning. ...:D

I meant the James is a little more versatile due to the simplier styling 

The James jacket is going to be infinitely more versatile. You can dress it up or down. Contrary to the others, I think the Leon requires a svelter physique than the James, as it has a lot more detailing.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:50 AM, Broark said:

I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off a riders jacket like the Leon. :blink:

Go with your feels mate. I'll be honest, I have a Perfecto-styled jacket that doesn't get that much wear because I feel like you do. I love the look but I often feel self-conscious that people will think I'm going for that "tough guy" look.

That being said, if you won't feel self-conscious, that jacket is super versatile and much more classic looking - which may be more your style.

The James is more like a modernized cafe racer w/ a spread collar. Less classic but much more subtle. I will say that a leather jacket is a loud statement in itself so I find that more subtle may be the way to go if you feel similarly.