The Leather Jacket Thread

Iron Horse

And here's the Rainbow Country in Shinki horsehide I just won off Yahoo; there's some issue with the zipper which I'll have to fix but it knocked quite a bit off the price. It's based off a Sears Hercules design from the 1930s:

Searscatalog.jpg

47a04a.jpg

47a04b.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

6 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

How is the horsehide on the ELMC? It seems to fly under the radar, but from everything I've seen it could be second only to Shinki.

Yes it's very nice. I had a good wear shinki a2 that I sold because it was a touch too short. Eastman hide is great stuff. 

• 2 months later...

I currently have 3 left

1)General leather company cashmere lined navy glove leather parka(not warm enough so having relined in navy snow tipped shearling for next winter

2)a bespoke biker in the same leatger

3GLC bespoke biker in black Spanish nappa-with Silver studs

plus my black shearling jacket from 2013, now falling apart

wishlist

1)pay for shearling lining

2)bought some beautiful black lambnappa soft which I'd like to make into this corset dress coay

thats it -I wore out or sold the rest!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but how do I determine if my leather jacket is dry and needs conditioning?

Reason I am asking is because my cowhide Edwin is really stiff, and does not seem to loosen up notably. It's only 3 years old with moderate wear, but I live in a very dry country. Can you judge dryness by pictures?

aTmn6cQ.jpgqxdu0De.jpgNQgyEKd.jpgLD7UVhT.jpg

Can I condition it with something to make is a little softer? It looks a little dry around the seams to me, though ths is my first "nicer" leather jacket so my judgement may be off. I am worried dryness may cause premature wear.

Thanks in advance.

You could treat it, though from the photos it doesn't look dry but it's hard to say. Jackets don't need as much oiling though.

You could also basically beat the tar out of it too; that helped a lot of my Lost Worlds jacket, which was stiff as hell in places. Grab it and try to ball it up some, wring it out, but don't do it too hard on the main seams or they could separate some. Anyway, it's worked for me on a really stiff jacket. 

Looking for a jacket similar in style to the Real McCoy's 1930's Steinbeck sports jacket, however, with relaxed, boxy fit. Per RMC's style, the armholes on the Steinbeck are high and the arm sleeves are tight, making the jacket feel restrictive. Sizing up is difficult because the length dimensions are already perfect. Any recommendations on other brands/jackets to consider?

On 2018-04-19 at 2:53 AM, Iron Horse said:

You could treat it, though from the photos it doesn't look dry but it's hard to say. Jackets don't need as much oiling though.

You could also basically beat the tar out of it too; that helped a lot of my Lost Worlds jacket, which was stiff as hell in places. Grab it and try to ball it up some, wring it out, but don't do it too hard on the main seams or they could separate some. Anyway, it's worked for me on a really stiff jacket. 

Thanks for response. I'll probably just wear it and give it a light coat later this year then.

Would otter wax leather oil be a good choice for this application?

EDIT: How would I determine if it's dry btw?

The seams look particularly dry, and it has a tendency be bend sharply when bening handled (I'm concerned this might cause cracking).

Edited by whenpancomestoshovel

Honestly, leather jackets tend not to dry out so easily, but if it looks and feels dry then it might be. If there are any signs of cracking then obviously it’s too far gone.

Usually if I see a dry leather jacket it’s a vintage one that was worn hard for years, like this:

9083_4.jpg

And even here the dryness looks mostly cosmetic, but a cleaning and oiling might not hurt. And then, if it’s not regularly getting covered in mud and salt you shouldn’t need to condition again for a while.

Edited by Iron Horse

• 1 month later...

Iron Heart type 3 horsehide leather jacket that I picked up last year. It is an absolute beast of a jacket! the leather is really thick and unbelievably nice.

ironheartleathertrucker.jpg