So was trying not to be negative about the brand until we saw some wear and tear and real life reviews. ..

Then I clicked on the above links. Firstly the instagram pic of those two very uncool dad looking geezers is disastrous. Wait a second, that's not what us 40 year old actually look like in jeans in real life is it!?!

Secondly clicked onto the review on the John G Moore site and it reveled he actually does lace his trainers behind the tongue and sticks it up and out the front of his jeans like off of the 80's so I had to close the page without reading it.

Can't wait for Ed to see it...

412f8aaff8469620292fd03a4eb22e64d95aa2ff

despite all the talk.... great fit Mike! nice shirt too

Those actually look pretty nice, Mike. Love the shirt and boots as well.

Cheers, the other stuff are Lofgren and Tricker's.

Still photographing and examining the jeans - all hashtags aside, so far they are pretty solid pants.

Did you get the retro or the natural Mike?

I got the retro denim.

The colour on the Retro denim is interesting. Grey cast hiding a green cast underneath.

Compare with Sauce Zhan's Xinjiang cotton with pure indigo and Stevenson Overall's Zimbabwe cotton with pure 'grand' indigo:

7WkfikA.jpg

Stevenson's denim is a lot more purple.

Tanuki's denim is a bit darker than Stevenson's, and a lot darker compared with the Sauce fabric on the bag.

The colour cast is pretty obvious once compared side-by-side.

Here's me, RR1 (regular) size 36, unhemmed:

Mine are very new compared with Martin's. Denim is still crispy and unsettled.

Not trying to be critical or negative, because I think with a couple changes, they'll look very good.   

1, I'd wash them again to get rid of the starch, because right now they're a mess from the knee down.

2, Roll the cuff down one, or better yet, have them hemmed to a length about 2" longer than where you're currently wearing them.  As bigger guys, we need fits that lengthen and slim us.  The combo of low rise, wide waist, and high water cuff brings attention to the size difference between your ankles and your thighs, making your waist and thighs look wider.  Also makes your legs look shorter, which just adds to your waist looking wider.  Can't tell how tapered the leg is on these because of the messiness, but if they're as tapered as they appear, again, you want a longer inseam to stretch you out and put that narrow hem as far away as possible (without sloppy stacking) from your waist.  You want your legs to look longer and your upper body shorter, but wearing those jeans the way you are does the opposite. Tucking your shirt in with that low of a rise (and your buckle hanging out under your vest) also makes your upper body look longer and your legs shorter. 

I'll also add that fit shows why I prefer more historical cuts for myself, and on other bigger guys.  With a lot of these modern cuts, the rise is lower, and the waist/top is very flat and square. On a size 36 (or even 34) on up, you need a rise over 12", with 4" difference between front and back rise, and a waist band that is narrower than the area below it down to about the bottom of the fly. The higher, narrower waist slims and gives some shape.  The further down on the hips they sit, the wider they make that area look.      

I am at least as big as you Setterman and from my experience I''ve found that on a 36 everything with a front rise higher than 12 will be hard to wear for me as it will end to cut my belly in two... I am not interested in Tanuki but from measurements I can sense the cut Mike got would work perfectly for me.

I am at least as big as you Setterman and from my experience I''ve found that on a 36 everything with a front rise higher than 12 will be hard to wear for me as it will end to cut my belly in two... I am not interested in Tanuki but from measurements I can sense the cut Mike got would work perfectly for me.

We carry our weight differently.  I think it's fair to say Mike and my weight is distributed fairly evenly over our bodies, and you might carry your's a little more predominately in the middle.    :D

The world's your oyster, with medium build and decent hight ( I nearly put length but Maynard would have been in with quip in a flash) as long as you stay away from the extremes of fits ie skinny or to far down the heritage cut road you cant go wrong. Buy stuff that fits and feels fitted to you.

@setterman Thanks for the tips!
The denim is a bit crinkled because I machine washed and machine dried it - I'm sure it'll settle in a couple of weeks.
Will be hemming at some point in the next few weeks~

Edited by mikecch