• 1 month later...

I'm tempted to get the Regular Straight. The pics of the Earth model here look great and the 14oz appeals - I don't need any more heavy denim. Is this the moment to try Tanuki? On the neg side is just that I hardly need more jeans. ^_^

I know that Tanuki are disliked for many reasons but their denim and construction are actually pretty good - it's a bit less gimmicky than other similar brands I feel. I have 2 of their regular cut, Earth and 2x indigo, and if you can live with the rise being a little lower than the repro brands it's a nice enough cut.

That being said, there's a lot of denim out there just as nice and if you're going for something around 14oz there's a shitload of alternatives.

It all comes down to what you're in the market for.

Edited by Ar_thor

I’m in the market for a new pair, but the competition pair is a hard pass for me as I don’t like the weft colour, and would like a fabric weight in excess of 16oz. There are a lot of interesting jeans around and research keeps bringing up new ones to consider. It’s pretty competitive in this niche market.

Tanuki does make cuts that suit my type pretty well. I also have two pairs that are well over the 6 month mark of effective wear, and can say they definitely make great fabrics with a very solid construction. These older pairs are not as loud as the competition pair, yet still interesting. No complaints about them. They aren’t “cool” here, I know, but they make a solid product.