@estomaquer

The pocket bags on my RR1 are fine after 6 months, but I usually don't put much in there.

The gingham cloth is definitely less sturdy than, say, Kurashiki sail canvas thought.

Red Cast RCT1 arrived from Nara last week.

zzBvRAQ.jpg

It's the Tapered fit this time:

u3qheWP.jpg

cdMwXSa.jpg

Some close ups:

GVLtOdF.jpg

OEuC0zd.jpg

6yQHBIn.jpg

They upgraded the external rivets!

KiI2EZ3.jpg

Review will be up on my blog in a week or so!

Review of the RCT1 is done :)

https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/tanuki-inc-japan-red-cast-tapered-rct1-review/

TL:DR Very interesting fabric, nicely sewn, the Tapered fit is very comfortable as far as modern fits go and one of the better "Lifter's" style fits out there.

Maybe too slim for some people's liking.

JadmaeL.jpg

gMinpdh.jpg

On 16/04/2017 at 3:56 AM, edmond said:

Super ugly pair of jeans i dont know why youd buy it mike and its not cheap. If it was 120 id cop 

Ever heard of Supertrash Ed? 

It's here: 

https://supertalk.superfuture.com/forum/20-supertrash/

I think you'll find more of what your looking for over there...This clearly isn't to your taste.

Edited by UkeNo
PITA

On 16/04/2017 at 3:56 AM, edmond said:

Super ugly pair of jeans i dont know why youd buy it mike and its not cheap. If it was 120 id cop 

I dont want to jump on Ed as well but.... if they are super ugly why would you buy for 120? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mike, eagerly waiting your review of the Z denim. (I'm assuming those are your photos above). Might be my next pickup. It's a tossup for me between the redcast and Z models. 

Despite the skepticism at the beginning of this thread, I was sold on Tanuki purely based on what I saw on BOW's website. This company reeks of credibility, and the fact that Jay picked up the line speaks to their quality. I rarely go on price to tell me what's what, but provenance, fabric expertise and dealer vote-of-confidence often persuade me. 

Edit: just went to your blog link. Reading now...

Edited by mlyngard
I never read the fine print.

@mlyngard 

Hey, those are my photos - I took them at Godspeed. I did a super brief review, as the sample pair that Marty had received at Godspeed was not my size, so I didn't take it home.

The Z denim is very textured and certainly a great choice for slub fans. I do like the colour tone and hand-feel of the Red Cast a little better, but that's purely personal preference.

I did contact Tanuki to see if I could get a pair my size, but they've been strangely silent over the past two months.

Will update the thread as I can. The progress on my Retro and Red Cast jeans have slowed, as for the time being I can only wear non-denim trousers to work... :(

Thanks for the info Mike! I realized after I posted that all the info I needed was in your blog post. I'm even more on the fence now deciding between the Z or RC denim. But am now a fan of your blog. Excellent writing and insightful reviews. We need more devoted denimheads like you doing what you do.

You may want to try Jay, the owner at Blue Owl to see if he has any means of getting access to your size... I'm sure he could ship to Oz.   [email protected]

I wanted to review it before it was released generally, but it's too late now - I think what I've already written is sufficient anyway :)

Will be trying to wear in my Red Cast and Retro jeans...way too many to get through so really can't justify getting more pairs. 

Thanks for the recommendation. Blue Owl has nice stuff, and I hear they're good people!

I usually prefer to get my garments directly from Japan though, better pricing and the occasional discounts and all.

8 hours ago, mikecch said:

Will be trying to wear in my Red Cast and Retro jeans...way too many to get through so really can't justify getting more pairs

Best not to say these kind of things on this forum...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 10:53 PM, estomaquer said:

Is anybody else having trouble with the pocket bags of their Tanukis developing holes very quickly?  I've had mine for a month and already have a hole

What did you put in your pocket?  Btw, recently I got a pair of NS1 from Denimio. Not my kind of cut, but the top block roomy enough for slim cut jeans. Especially, it didn't hurt my private part when riding motorcycle. I love the fabric, because it has slub, nep, and hairy but not too much.

IMG_8318.thumb.JPG.4c09d0eebcd73008c206a1e50bf4daea.JPGIMG_8319.thumb.JPG.ee2adc5875aa4ed2e02d1741ba2a0d48.JPGIMG_8320.thumb.JPG.a64cf2b417c56ada919ab09e2954dd27.JPG

Should I join the DWC? Lol

Edited by aryowl

19 hours ago, aryowl said:

What did you put in your pocket?  Btw, recently I got a pair of NS1 from Denimio. Not my kind of cut, but the top block roomy enough for slim cut jeans. Especially, it didn't hurt my private part when riding motorcycle. I love the fabric, because it has slub, nep, and hairy but not too much.

IMG_8318.thumb.JPG.4c09d0eebcd73008c206a1e50bf4daea.JPGIMG_8319.thumb.JPG.ee2adc5875aa4ed2e02d1741ba2a0d48.JPGIMG_8320.thumb.JPG.a64cf2b417c56ada919ab09e2954dd27.JPG

Should I join the DWC? Lol

Hey great pics! I know you just got these, but any idea on the amount of shrinkage and stretch on the NS1's? 

I`m deliberating between sizes. Size 33 (pre-wash) fits snug on the waist and the thighs are 'next to skin'. Thinking of going a size-up.

4 hours ago, Crash84 said:

Hey great pics! I know you just got these, but any idea on the amount of shrinkage and stretch on the NS1's? 

Crash, Blue Owl has pre- and post-soak dimensions on their page for the NS1. It's very helpful. Click on the tab on the page that says "Sizing" and scroll down. I trust Blue Owl's dimension charts - they know how to measure properly.

As with almost all raw denim, they will stretch back out to their pre-shrink size (and sometimes more) with some wear.

Here's the link:  https://www.blueowl.us/collections/tanuki/products/ns1-natural-indigo-16-5oz-unsanforized-selvedge-denim-slim-fit?variant=21931678657

Edited by mlyngard

Tanuki ZT2 Zetto, post soak-quickie pictures, first wear. You can really see the slubby texture. Very similar hand to Pure Blue Japan denim and some of the early Strike Gold. Loving everything about these jeans. Quality is at least at the level of all other serious contenders that make the grade on this site, from Samurai to Momotaro. Well worth the asking price.

IMG_20170924_160103.jpg

IMG_20170924_160121 (1).jpg

11 hours ago, aryowl said:

@mlyngard the texture......how much weight of this fabric?

The denim is listed at 15 ounces per square yard, but with a shrink factor of maybe 3% you end up with a denim that is approximately 15.5 to 16oz after they are soaked in hot water.

• 3 months later...

I hear some heavy weight, earth tone denim is coming soon - jacket and jeans. 

Btw, the regular cut has been modified since I reviewed one of the earlier versions. To be sure, get your retailer to measure out a pair for you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 4:10 AM, mikecch said:

I hear some heavy weight, earth tone denim is coming soon - jacket and jeans. 

Btw, the regular cut has been modified since I reviewed one of the earlier versions. To be sure, get your retailer to measure out a pair for you! 

Heavy weight, Earth tone? I just might make my first Tanuki purchase.

i’ll keep my ears open.