Again, maybe i just don't get it, but i think I'd be bummed if my company was being shittalked 24/7. And if I was interested in buying jeans, hearing a brand shittalked would make me NOT want to buy them. 

Publicity is good if it's neutral or positive

Again, maybe i just don't get it, but i think I'd be bummed if my company was being shittalked 24/7. And if I was interested in buying jeans, hearing a brand shittalked would make me NOT want to buy them. 

But for every person that hates Tanuki there's another that either likes or is interested in the brand. All of the dislike for Tanuki stems from their marketing, not the quality of the jeans themselves. I have no desire to buy a pair of their jeans because of the many options available to me, but I don't dislike their brand because of how they portray themselves either.every brand in existence has a 'story'....good or bad.

Brand awareness is one thing, but whether people like them or not is another.

Of course, when you have guys like Kiya go on a PR offensive, it inadvertently gives the brand lots of awareness.

To balance this though, Tanuki is getting good feedback from a few places. Heddels, Denim Hound, Reddit, retailers and the guys who have bought their jeans so far.

What I am surprised by is that some of you seem so personally offended by their PR. I mean, what they are doing is miles better compared with a lot of the kick-starter or crowd founding style campaigns of late.

How much weight you give to any of these opinions is of course up to you. Their jeans are selling in good numbers though, which is more than we can say for some of the SuFu approved brands.

Like it or not, it seems like Tanuki will be here to stay for a while. Again,all the talk aside, these are pretty good jeans.

Why do you need to buy a pair to dislike the marketing? They look to be perfectly fine and no one has ever claimed differently.

I want to stop chiming in here for no reason but I just can't understand those that defend them saying "don't knock them till you try them". Defenders and detractors are talking about completely different things so this conversation will go nowhere.

Yeah I don't think anybody who is hating on the brand thinks that these are complete pieces of shit. I'm sure the jeans are better than most of the other shit brands out there. The marketing is just annoying so we hate them for that. I don't care if someone would give me a pair for free, that doesn't change how it's been marketed.

Defenders and detractors are talking about completely different things so this conversation will go nowhere.

Very true.

I don't understand how some people will "hate" something so easily, and latch on with a vengeance...certain folks are more easily triggered, others more tolerant, some even open-minded.

You know what they say, opinions are like assholes, especially online.

As far as I'm aware none of us studied marketing, advertising or work in brand promotion...so whether a marketing strategy or a PR campaign is a good one or not - how the hell would we know?

So far it's just a bunch of guys anonymously voicing their own emotional reactions...as fun as this is, I'm much more interested in the actual denim.

Anyway, the photos are up, and I'll post them here in the next few posts. Will be interested in seeing photos of the different denims if anybody has purchased a pair.

Defenders and detractors are talking about completely different things so this conversation will go nowhere.

How many people-so many opinions.Let's say my life has taught me not to PR,but to practice what is good and what is bad.No matter someone's name,where he previously worked,who of famous people with it shakes hands,it didn't make any differencefor some type of community of people.Most importantly-how successful was that he made (not in the sense of fame,but in the sense of demand).There are goods,there is an opinion in the reviews,there is a description of the goods.The lack of specificity of individuals, many do not fit in the head....it is against the rules,this is wrong.​ :D 

Very true.

I don't understand how some people will "hate" something so easily, and latch on with a vengeance...certain folks are more easily triggered, others more tolerant, some even open-minded.

This is why I'm loving Tanuki threads.  :P

giphy.gif

I think that finding out who's behind Tanuki won't mean anything to their detractors as its the marketing ploy that's caused so much discontent, although will be intrest in to see who it is and anyone changes tone after the reveal....

I'd not heard of Tanuki before this thread popped up, nor would I have until the jeans appeared in shops, so I'd say, this publicity is pretty great for them. I'm no Einstein, but I'm bright enough to know that what's written here is people's opinions, and I'm independent minded enough to want to know first hand if I'd agree with them or not. All this noise genuinely makes me want to know more, and if I did see them in a shop now I'd give them a look, not to be a contrary mary, but just to see what all this fuss is about.