Conners Sewing Factory

Flash

So flash, now that you have the WWII and 47's which do you find yourself drawn towards more?

I'm thinking these could be a good birthday present to myself later this year, and currently I think I like the WWII a bit more.

Just wish I could get some real measurements, the link posted earlier in this thread leads me to believe these will be slimmer than a real WWII repo. 8.5 in. hem on the size 38 seems a little too narrow. Plus I've been liking the looser fit jeans lately.

Just wish I could get some real measurements, the link posted earlier in this thread leads me to believe these will be slimmer than a real WWII repo. 8.5 in. hem on the size 38 seems a little too narrow. Plus I've been liking the looser fit jeans lately.

If that's what they're listing post wash, you're right, it's about 1/4 to 1/2" too narrow for a jean of that era in that size range.

IMO there's a bit of guessing and extrapolating that goes into producing the bigger sizes, and the Japanese denim makers don't always get it 100% right.   

If that's what they're listing post wash, you're right, it's about 1/4 to 1/2" too narrow for a jean of that era in that size range.

IMO there's a bit of guessing and extrapolating that goes into producing the bigger sizes, and the Japanese denim makers don't always get it 100% right.   

And the thigh as well, 13 in. seems a little on the narrow side. I was thinking a 9 in. hem post wash would be more accurate.

Maybe someone else will get a pair in size 38 and measure them out for me.  :D

And you're right, Japanese denim makers don't always get the bigger sizes 100% right and I understand why.

When I was in Japan there weren't too many 6'3" 220 pound Japanese dudes around I don't think haha.

And the thigh as well, 13 in. seems a little on the narrow side. I was thinking a 9 in. hem post wash would be more accurate.

Maybe someone else will get a pair in size 38 and measure them out for me.  :D

And you're right, Japanese denim makers don't always get the bigger sizes 100% right and I understand why.

When I was in Japan there weren't too many 6'3" 220 pound Japanese dudes around I don't think haha.

What's the post wash waist supposed to be?  If it's down around 34.5 to 35", and the 13" thigh and 8.5" leg opening are correct, I'd say the over all proportions of the jean are close to being right, just smaller than what we'd normally expect for a tagged size 38.

And in reality, if you and I where buying a vintage pair of 501s, we'd probably be closer to a 40 than a 38, and no way we could wear a size 36.    

I think the waist came out to just under 36 post wash, something like 35.8 in. which is manageable with some stretch.

And I guess you're right, we would probably be more in the 38-40 range if we were buying true vintage.

Too rich for my blood though I think.  :P

There both great jeans mate , I'm wearing the ww2 as my main pair but I have worn the 47's a few days ( like today ) but really couldn't pick a favourite

Completely agree with setterman about the sizing .... a lot of guess work used

What's the post wash waist supposed to be?  If it's down around 34.5 to 35", and the 13" thigh and 8.5" leg opening are correct, I'd say the over all proportions of the jean are close to being right, just smaller than what we'd normally expect for a tagged size 38.

And in reality, if you and I where buying a vintage pair of 501s, we'd probably be closer to a 40 than a 38, and no way we could wear a size 36.    

Are vintage 501s way smaller than the tag size? Or is that only for the bigger sizes?

for the 409xxx 1947, they dont have anything bigger than 36. so the made-to-order WW2 might be the only way to go.

409xxx s36 one wash:

- waist - 32

- front - 11 1/4

- rear -16 1/4

- thigh - 13

- leg opening - 9 1/4

- inseam - 33 3/4

Are vintage 501s way smaller than the tag size? Or is that only for the bigger sizes?

From what I've seen, vintage Levis don't start bigger than tagged (not unusual for them to be 1/2" under), and shrink a full 3" at the waist.  So a 38 winds up at 35".  And I'm willing to bet they don't stretch as easily as the MIJ jeans we're used to.    

b_F, would you please update the measurements after wearing for some days? Let's see how this denim stretch. Thanks.

Just wanted to report back that the jeans stretched to around 35" after 3 days of wear. They are in the wash now for some more shrinkage in length.

So flash, now that you have the WWII and 47's which do you find yourself drawn towards more?

I'm thinking these could be a good birthday present to myself later this year, and currently I think I like the WWII a bit more.

Hey Broark,

Just in case you're referring to the measurements I posted, these are for the WestRide collab and are a 1948 jean. You probably already know that but I just wanted to clarify in case you were going off that chart. Cheers.