Conners Sewing Factory

Flash

• 2 weeks later...

They look amazing! loosing a few lbs has transformed the fit beyond mere words

Is sittng on a hard surface noticeably less comfortable nowadays? serious question.. i ask because ive always had a boney arse and i often look enviously upon those with a more ample derriere and wonder how much more comfortable sitting on a park bench must be :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Anypone else saw the price for the new M47 "Grand Opening" jeans? 60.000 Yen is a statement. I'm sure they will still sell though...

The video posted on the last page really piqued my interest to try to obtain the unobtainable. But at that price, ouch. I am surprised there is that much of a market in Japan, seems like it would be pretty limited and that he could do more business internationally if he wanted. Guess there is a lot more interest there than I would’ve thought.

@Flash tempting and good price, but I think too big for me. One size down probably needed. The secondary market seems like all I could afford or even get in the first place.

I think it’s a bit of both Martin. The desire we have for niche products gives the brands a bit of leverage and I think the pandemic has bitten hard on most businesses - so our pockets will get emptied a bit quicker. FW have been quite open about how their business has struggled over the past year.

I do wonder about CSF.  I own a few pairs of their jeans (1946 first half and 1947) and I like them, but the prices are higher than they should be, in my opinion.  I don't mind paying relatively high prices for Freewheelers, Roy, or Ooe, where I believe the design elements and quality are truly a cut above (e.g., FW's flannel and other shirts), but I just don't see that level of quality or craftsmanship with CSF.  They do have the best packaging and boxes (for what it's worth -- little) and their dedication to specific model years is certainly interesting.  But I admit to feeling like I'm being taken to some degree ... and I really don't feel this way about most other brands.  McCoy's may be an exception, but they do some things really well (e.g., leather jackets) even if other things fall short.

I realize what I've said is controversial/critical and will admit that the language barrier and difficulties in communication may be contributing to my lack of understanding of what CSF is doing.  In addition, a few of the forum members here whom I most respect believe that CSF is at or near the top tier.  Still, I get a sense that CSF is less than it makes itself out to be.  Some of this may be related to paying a pretty stiff price up front with long wait times and little communication.

In many ways you are right @JohnM - and l am definitely one of those peeps who put CSF near the top tier.

I was one of the early buyers, thanks to influencers like @Flash and @Double 0 Soul and 100% fell for the promotional video/claims of producing the original etc etc.  When l ordered my tux back in summer of 2016, there was no model line up as such. I had always wanted a proper WW2 tux and so far no other brand were producing the goods l wanted to buy.  The close communication with CSF changed all that. I felt like l'd finally arrived.

Unfortunately after a few very costly sizing issues l have now two pairs that fit (one loosely) and a type 1 that fits but l cant wash it as l don't want it to shrink futher.

l like my CSF but would not buy anything else from them due to, like John said, feeling Iike l'm being taken for a ride. But l have felt like this generally about some of the gear, from some of the brands here for some years. This is why second hand sales of items l desire is where it's at, and will continue to be my marketplace of choice. 

I agree with many of your sentiments. CSF was never about "high quality" in terms of construction or sewing, the only focus was on "authenticity" (whatever that means when copying). They are probably still the best, original feeling Levi's repros out there (although I don't know if this also applies to their cuts/patterns) but if the new price will really be 60,000 Yen that a price hike by nearly 50% and that with all due respect is just excessive.

@JohnM I do understand a bit of  where your coming from but it seems you have either missed the point in what csf set out to achieve , it was never about making a quality ( looking ) product it was to capture the spirit of jeans they were attempting to copy .... or you just dont believe it ? And if that's the case then I respect your opinion and dont see any reason to convince you otherwise . I've made my feeling about conners known many times so there is no reason to go over it again but I will admit that the recent price has put me off buying any more .