Conners Sewing Factory

Flash

it is worthwhile to dollar cost average expensive items -- this way I buy less, but better quality.  I used to purchase things because of low price, sales or markdowns, then often not wear or use them -- those ended up being the highest cost items. 

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

Surely a more telling, and useful, measure to track is total cost per (full day of) wear

In that respect, paying a lot but wearing to death would be more acceptable - an indication of good value

I've got stuff that didn't cost as much as other stuff but I've hardly worn so feels well expensive! And vice versa

Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder

Value

Cost

Price

Hmmm

47 minutes ago, H...crimper said:

I was paying £180 for a pair of Levis vintage 501s jeans and £200 for the Jacket in 1996 

Then the price was 'slashed' sometime in 1999 to 50% off, to comply with US pricing (apparently).

Bought my first pair of 201XX in November 1999 for £200, was back in February of 2000 and the prices for all jeans and jackets had fallen to £100. Obviously prices crept back up slowly again over the years. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Then the price was 'slashed' sometime in 1999 to 50% off, to comply with US pricing (apparently).

Bought my first pair of 201XX in November 1999 for £200, was back in February of 2000 and the prices for all jeans and jackets had fallen to £100. Obviously prices crept back up slowly again over the years. 

That was when they changed the the denim on them to cone if Im correct. also in 1996 they were very limited so I was panicking thinking this is my only chance.

I had the same panic on in early 2003, when the first non-Valencia landed and l was shocked at the drop in quality etc so bought up as many Lvc pieces as possible that were made like the og booklets stated: by Levis employees that have been working there since way back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

And l guess this is where CSF, and other companies, have carried the denim baton forward.

Edited by Dr_Heech

7 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

I had the same panic on in early 2003, when the first non-Valencia landed and l was shocked at the drop in quality etc so bought up as many Lvc pieces as possible that were made like the og booklets stated: by Levis employees that have been working there since way back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

And l guess this is where CSF, and other companies, have carried the denim baton forward.

I kick myself for being a toddler and not buying all the og LVC I could. Jokes aside, I am envious of the position you were in to have the foresight you did. 

I daydream about having a closet full of deadstock valencia street goodies... LOL.

57 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

apparently Eric Clapton brought a lot of the early Valencia stuff 

12 hours ago, JMS said:

.. I daydream about having a closet full of deadstock valencia street goodies... LOL.

The great thing is l got to wear alot of earlier stuff, sure, but the resale value of NOS Valencia stock about 10 years ago was insane. Made an absolute fortune (for me at least) so happy days. 

Edited by Dr_Heech

12 hours ago, JMS said:

I kick myself for being a toddler and not buying all the og LVC I could. Jokes aside, I am envious of the position you were in to have the foresight you did. 

I don't know if it was foresight per se - l was thrifting for old 50's and 60's 501's from c.1987-1995 so it was really more a natural progression for me.

• 3 weeks later...