Conners Sewing Factory

Flash

I know CSF makes great stuff (aside from the silliness of the "One Piece Of Rock" name that, justifiably, nobody around here actually uses), but I don't really get the fascination with WWII jeans. Wouldn't a '47 (or pre-WWII) spec jean be considered "better" since it's not missing details like rivets, bar tack stitching, etc.? A '47 jean seems like the more "complete" model that you'd want to reproduce since it has all the rivets, a leather patch, etc. Is there some magical element of WWII jeans (maybe the dyeing process, or fit?) that I've somehow missed?

CSF also makes 30s era and post WW2 (circa ‘47) cuts in addition to a range of denim jackets. I think it focuses on WW2 models as there are so many variations to exploit in terms of materials available during rationing, plus the rushed aesthetic of that time period suits the CSF USP (aka period correct attention to detail, warts and all) perfectly.

I wonder if some one else has explored the painted pocket aspect of the war time model? the miracles of the transition period...

[tongue-{{firmly}}-in-cheek.gif]

irl I know mostly-only the lvc version of reality in which the fit is interestingly different for the '44 and the '47 (a higher rise for the '44 and mildly more generous thighs, but a significant difference to the earlier 30s cut, hardware and denim - the '44 denim much darker and even than the '37 denim - the '44 like a 30s rise but with skinnier legs and a dark-dark denim)

which is just foreplay for request: would love to see the 30s CSF denim worn in a little: anyone have any or any links?

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I wonder if that fascination has to with the availability of these models - being military supply could have had a couple of consequences:

• big quantities available
  • people willing to part with issued garments, trade or sell...
  • surplus supply quantities sold
  • cheap, affordable
  • outdated military and civilian stocks being made available periodically
  • etc...

The era of the WW2 jeans are a really short glimpse of time in the whole Levi's history with so many different variations because of the shortage/limitation of hardware and fabrics.
And there are not many of those jeans available anymore in good conditions or at all so the originals are very sought after.

Maybe in combination with a general fascination of American military of this time, this leads to interest to recreate these jeans.
Also, while making exact repros of those jeans, Konaka-san can still be a bit creative as all those models could have existed?!

On 11/16/2018 at 6:49 AM, Cold Summer said:

All interesting answers/info. Maybe I'll try a WWII model eventually?! 

All I know is that I have enough jeans to last me for half a decade without needing to buy any more, hah.

This is sort of how I feel about modern/slubby jeans like PBJ and Strike Gold. I respect them, but I have so many jeans already that I have no need to buy them.

CSF and WWII jeans are definitely a niche within a niche. For me, it's the history that appeals to me and all the unique little differences along with the more classic cuts. However, I never really bought any until CSF went all out and sort of perfected the genre.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my thing to be honest , I'd much prefer if he stuck to the repros ... fully respect that the diversity in the product he is offering reaches out to more customers but selfishly I wish he would continue to expand his main line and forget about all these daft models 

I'm really surprised more people haven't bought some Conners over here 

A question to anyone that has been interested but hasn't ordered a pair . What are the reasons that have stopped you from ordering ?

Edited by Flash

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'm really surprised more people haven't bought some Conners over here 

A question to anyone that has been interested but hasn't ordered a pair . What are the reasons that have stopped you from ordering ?

I have wanted a pair for a couple years, but between ordering via Instagram, the waiting period from there, the sizing seeming difficult, indecision about which model to go with, the higher price point & potentially putting that money towards a vintage pair of Big E 501s, and already having too many pairs of jeans, I have resisted so far.

Well if you have the money for vintage go for vintage ..... but Conners is (in my humble opinion ) the next best thing 

ordering only takes a few dms back and forth on Instagram and I think it makes the whole process a bit more personal 

there is plenty of info on sizing out there so once you have a model in mind it shouldn’t be that much trouble getting it right 

the model should be the easiest part ... what is your favourite year of the 501xx ?

i would think the higher price point would be the biggest factor in putting people off but here is how I justify it , you are 100% guaranteed that your jeans are being made by someone that is being paid a fair price for there time and expertise which could be questioned when ordering from a lot of other brands . The jeans are also made from start to finish on period correct sewing machines using the same hand folded techniques that the 501xx were , when you have the product in your hand you can feel the passion that has went into them from Yoshiaki , and the most important fact ..... there AWESOME 

Edited by Flash

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm not that focused on absolute accuracy of repro details. What matters to me is fit, quality of the finition, and interesting details (which might be completely anachronistic).

7 minutes ago, JDelage said:

I'm not that focused on absolute accuracy of repro details. What matters to me is fit, quality of the finition, and interesting details (which might be completely anachronistic).

Conners probably isn’t the brand for you then mate ? Plenty of brands out there and there is one ( or 2 or 3 ) for everyone 

I also consider his work to be the next best thing/best repro and and I think I will end up with a pair of CSF before anything vintage, pre 1960s anyway, and certainly anything in deadstock condition. I imagine that I would even appreciate ordering via DM once I did it. I settled on size 34 second half 1946 last time originally, which is probably still where I would end up. If he threw up small batches for order online with detailed measurements and photos in the way that Roy does, I imagine I would have already bought a pair at one point or another, which I know is not exactly logical since this way is in many ways easier. Do you have a favorite model?

First half 46 is probably my favourite but I love my second half’s as well , the 47 denim( used on the second half’s ) is really nice and still a bit of an unknown in terms of how it fades as the only faded pair I’ve seen is Yoshiaki’s own 47’s 

I think CSF is just a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche. For guys like myself, Flash, and a couple others, CSF is the end all be all. I'm going back to see him in less than a month and will almost certainly order yet another pair (probably first half 46), but many others will simply never pull the trigger.

For me, the personal touch of the dm ordering is one of my favorite parts, but I do understand why people don't like it.

@Flash how did you size your first half 46 compared to your 47 and WWII models? I know your 47 was one size larger than your WWII

9 hours ago, Flash said:

31 dude , same as my 47 . Make sure and take lots of pics on your visit , were heading to Tokyo again in June but making the trip down to Yoshiaki would be a little much to ask of the wife and the little man 

Oh ok didn't know it was larger than the WWII. Glad to know.

I will be bringing an actual camera this time, so I will definitely take more pictures!

Yep , the 47's are boarderling , tight after soaking but stretched nicely 

2 pairs of 46 ( first and second half ) are comfy straight after a soak 

Ww2's are wearable in a 30 but look too slim for a s501xx repro because they were my first pair and I essentially went tts 

Anybody knows when the type 2 is going to be out ? I'm searching for a nice type 2 and still hesitating in-between the new one from TRMC and a Warehouse. Might go CSF for the first time instead.

Also @Flash, I might be interested in your pair, would you please send me some pictures/measurments ?