Taking Care of the World Tour

Bobbo

This thread and the talk over in the LVC thread has me itching for the upcoming 20's contest. I'm not sure how I could pass it up at this point. 

Somehow I am getting pulled in, too, despite myself. I think it will be a unique event.

(Although I wonder what the people who bailed from the 50s contest because they took too long to fade will do! )

Well  Sir Paul T I think that a more challenging contest is way more interesting, to not mention that (in my limited experience) best fade results come often from stubborn fabrics, as you know well too.

At the moment I am mid way through a rather easy pair but truth be told I don't get the same satisfaction I've got from fading the 50's or 60's.

Fade peasants will be appropriately warned before contest start. Slim fit obsessive compulsive types will be automatically detracted from this contest once they'll see measurements, too. I expect this contest to have a bit less contestants than the 50's one, but it's not a bad thing, it's all about quality...

We'll all keep the kettle warm in the first few months when nothing happens fade wise with the usual real life posts, which were absolutely brilliant in the first 50's contest btw. Hopefully this time we may have a fine cuisine corner hosted by no other than Mr Marmite Holio C. too. I am extremely excited at the prospect of learning some new  Italo British extravaganza fusion recipes!

Alright peeps! Again, sorry about the lack of updates after the holidays, it's been a super boring week for me (in a good way too, caught up with a lot of stuff at work) so not that much to write home (or in this case, here) about. I do have some new pics on my camera that I'm going to post, but I just ran out of battery and left the charger at my mom's. She's assured me that it's in the mail now, so soon.

In the meantime, here's one of my stupid but very cute cat, Snorre, since TCB is after all the cat brand.

IMG_1431.jpg

And the best we managed on new year's eve. I'm third from left (not wearing jeans, I'm afraid).

IMG_4878.jpg

So, who's getting the jeans after me? I'm going to Groningen in The Netherlands for Eurosonic next week, and after that I'll ship it on. If the next contestant can shoot me a pm with the address, that'd be great!

Edited by mandel9000

This tour is getting better and better. Look forward to see the last chapters of the Viking Valkyrie saga but meanwhile I am already foretasting the next British Masterchef installment. Cheers Mandel for the top shelf entertainment!

Rather jealous I'm not a size 32 in these (though am I right in stating they stretched out to a 34" waist?!), otherwise I'd be all over the tour. Regardless, loving the updates all around, can't believe you're already passing them on mandel!

It's been another great leg of a great tour!

Many thanks for the entertaining posts & pictures.

aho - I think they'll stretch out 34" easily...

This tour is getting better and better. Look forward to see the last chapters of the Viking Valkyrie saga but meanwhile I am already foretasting the next British Masterchef installment. Cheers Mandel for the top shelf entertainment!

Just for you Volvo - 

An early instalment and a Christmas special. Sprouts a la Holio - this is sans marmite, but there's no reason why you couldn't add a little marmite to the oil to bring a little extra yeasty tang ;-) :

31927960662_0c904064c3_z.jpg

It's -10 degrees celsius here - no weather for the tour jeans that let in cold air so easily through their large leg openings. Had to be two layers today, first one wool, second one heavy denim. Looking through my storage unit the other day I found a Carhartt down jacket from around 1998 that I had totally forgotten about, one of the first things I bought when I started university ages ago, which actually looks quite cool and also came in very handy in these freezing conditions. The charger for the camera arrives tomorrow morning, so more photos then. Now I'm going to one of my favorite pasttimes: A music quiz. 

On 1/4/2017 at 4:00 AM, mandel9000 said:

I'll measure again later. I think they could work for you!

Apologies, I should mention I'd need them to stretch to a 36" waist! ;D 

Feel you on the cold though, it's about -7 degrees Farenheit with windchill here in Chicago and I'm wearing hole-y Ooe jeans...Does the TCB give you room for a layer of longjohns/thermals underneath?

I don't think they'll stretch to 36", but 34" is probably possible. Plenty of room for longjohns (plural) underneath, but the longjohns are too much in the office and I prefer not to change at the start and end of the workday. 

Here are - finally - some pictures. 

My modest wear on the cinch: 
IMG_4922.jpg

Roping is very good: 
IMG_4923.jpg

Notes from the quiz: 
IMG_4914.jpg
We came in third and were only three people, happy with that. 

I just started a new workout regime a month ago, not as a new year's resolution but more of an intention to be a little healthier. It's mostly bodyweight and kettlebell excercises, really hard stuff sometimes, and judging by soreness (the good kind, not where it really hurts) it's working really well. I went there this morning (just had to brag about that) and afterwords I felt so energized that I decided to bring the camera along for a little walk in Oslo. 

The city is divided by a river, Akerselva, running from the north to the south. The westside has been the most affluent, the east is more working class, with more immigration during the last decades. I live in the east, in one of four high-rises built in 1964. Apart from those there's the Hotel Plaza and the equallly tall one next to it, the Norwegian post office headquarters. Both can be viewed a few posts above, in the sunset. 

Then, a few years ago in a very controversial political desicion, they started extensive construction on the waterfront. Controversial because thousands of people lost their fjord view, and because Oslo has always taken some pride in the small town feel of the place, it doesn't really look like a capital city. The so-called barcode house finance consultants of some kind, it's PWC, Deloitte, the Norwegian bank etc. Here they are seen from my side of town, across the train tracks that run behind them: IMG_4920.jpg

Just to the right from my position here, at the beginning of the bridge and squeezed in between a busy street and the train station is Maaemo, Norway's only restaurant with three Michelin stars. I have never eaten there, but I will when I get rich.

IMG_4915.jpg

Here's the barcode seen from the fjord, with the Opera to the left and the new Munch museum in the middle (the big dark grey thing under construction). The vertical opening on the wall is actually there to get the biggest artworks inside by crane, then it's going to be closed.

IMG_4917.jpg

This was opened a couple of years ago and is very popular (and packed!) in summer. A group of people from work go running and then for a dip here, even in winter. I'm too fond of comfort and warmth, my last swim was in October. 

IMG_4919.jpg

Edited by mandel9000
Spelling

The standard is set high. Great posts Mandel. Lovely pictures. Big boots to fill so far with the culinary pics, snowscapes, northern lights and exotic destinations, the jeans have been to so far, I'm starting to feel like the home of TOWIE and Joey Essex might be a let down for them. I will try and keep it reem (yeah I have no f**king clue what that means either).

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no see! I lost my phone on the first night of Eurosonic (and even more critical: I forgot my passport for the first time in my life, but I actually managed to get to Groningen and back without ever showing ID. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing though...:blink:)

All in all I just took three photos of men above 6'9" standing right in front of me blocking the stage at shows. Dutch people are so tall it's quite extraordinary, the only place where I feel short at 5'10".  

43B255DD-B66D-49D7-8AB7-09CB807A7EDD.jpg

Anyway, the jeans have been washed and are on their way to Holio as we speak. Sorry about the low frequency of posts at the end of my leg, but I look very much forward to follow the next participants!

Thanks Mandel, TCB 20s received in Blighty. Wow!! These 20s jeans take me way outside my comfort zone by being super comfy. I was expecting the high rise to feel weird but it doesn't. And although the waist fits pretty well (I had to slacken the cinch off a little mandel, you must have been rattling around in these jeans!!) I still think I could fit another person in here with me. From the front they look like a fairly normal loose fitting jean, but from the back, these are cowboy style. Couple of quick and dirty fit pics in the office.

IMG_7087.JPG

IMG_7088.JPG

Tremendous start of the second British leg of the tour! Three excellent posts in one shot!

Fit looks good, you may be able to downsize apparently although I think this is pretty much the intended fit and you can definitely make it work fairly well for yourself. Try big higher cuffs and no break. Pair them with bigger boots, install some slanted eyes, and you'll look like a perfect Japanese fashionista. Funny it looks like the jeans are almost too tapered for that loose top. I assume it depends by your completely wrong body, TCB doesn't ever make errors in my books (hahaha)!

What I see on pic number two is yet another classic Master Holio endeavour! Risotto looks to be slightly too "all'onda" (wet!) and it seems you opted for some peasant British mushrooms rather than invest in some decent porcini, but I can forgive you because of the hilarious cameo appearance of the iconic heathen spread and tremendous drakkar we can see on pic number 3, a lovely Volvo Amazon 122 2 doors.  I still dream to buy myself an Amazon Kombi (5 door sw version) sometime in the future.

Anyhoo excellent job my friend, E X C E L L E N T ! I look forward to the next posts.

6 hours ago, holio cornolio said:

(I had to slacken the cinch off a little mandel, you must have been rattling around in these jeans!!)

Well... I filled out the seat area more, I guess. Great to see that the jeans arrived safely in Britain, fit is excellent!

(Missed opportunity on my part: photos of old Volvos. A lot of them here right next to Sweden.)