Bags, backpacks, duffles, messenger, slings, etc.

I ended up buying the Lexdray Dubai Travel Case, which is now almost half the price that it used to be due to the company restructuring their sales strategy from wholesale to web sales on their website. A bit on the larger side, but it can be worn on it’s own with the handle and seems to be made out of quality materials.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, EG562 said:

172817F048002_1.jpg

Quite like these guys, wondering how practical/functional they are. Anyone have someting like this? 

Looks similar to this Alk Phenix one. I think they look real good. Feels like the straps makes them kinda flimsy though? 

121669907_th.jpg

Edited by Flexerino

outleather and helinox TERG make some similar stuff

1_55aa7ad3-29e2-48cb-b2d6-c832df185ec7.j

https://www.helinoxstore.com/collections/t-e-r-g/products/sacoche-1-black

I saw the helinox thing in japan, it was too thin feeling for me so i didnt spend too much time with it. the outleather thing is new, seems to be made from dyneema. both are zip top closure though, not drawstring like the and wander

On 4/3/2016 at 3:28 AM, twistedtrees said:

Anybody see the new Herschel bags that can reseal themselves when punctured? Interesting...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCf-kIqQKJa/

12798123_1288864701140755_637493187_n.jp

Isn't that just a standard ripstop fabric? I've used something similar in the past and, I can tell you, it doesn't repair itself ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feel like the dead bird messenger bag post lacks the most interesting pics:

side access

Spoiler

4-768x603.jpg

main compartment zipper

Spoiler

IMG_3787-768x576.jpg

Don't quite see why they didn't use something more elaborated than those buckles.

And then theres that "review" with more images

• 3 weeks later...

The new apparition leather variant of the awesome Guerilla group sling pack... looks like it's gunna cost over $1600CAD though. :(

n6ek3QT.jpg

... I also found another little gem poking around online; has anyone seen this one yet?!?!

EmCgtlC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, long time lurker

Are there any dyneema / cuben fiber tote bags with zips at the top so you can fully close it?

The only bag that fits the criteria so far is the Nike Tom Sachs NIKECraft: Lightweight Tote Bag

But is very expensive to buy resale.

6nPHyk8.jpg

Thank you.

Edit: Finally found some but not my style.

https://www.theathleticcommunity.com/products/cecil-medium-mule-zip-tote

https://www.theathleticcommunity.com/products/large-mule-zip-tote

Edited by OstiObossed

• 1 month later...

In the ever ending quest to find a backpack that is a.) Made from high quality materials, b.) plenty of function, and c.) doesn't look like it's meant for either an invasion (excessive MOLLE, camouflage, straps, overly militarized) or K2 (bright colors, insane amounts of padding), Crye's AVS 1000 is an excellent solution.

Crye Precision is one of the foremost military equipment manufacturers: Based out of New York, they provide some of the nicest gear taxpayers can buy to all branches and a variety of police forces around the globe. I've found their stuff to be incredibly well designed and purpose built, with a ton of ingenuity involved- Lots of R&D and working close with the people who use it everyday in bad situations. If you're familiar with Arc'Teryx, their LEAF lineup is similar to what Crye does. 

Some specs: 

100% nylon
Made in the US from US materials in NY
Stretch bottle holder on left side of pack
MOLLE on right side (very small discrete amount, only 3x3) 
2 small external pockets
1 large external pocket
Main pocket has a hanger for a hydration bladder (Camelbak) (Or a armor plate, if you're in to that) 
Dual zippers on every pocket (Originally designed for antennas, can be used for blueprints or large objects in a civilian fashion) 
Compression straps
Removable sternum strap
Comes in Black (pictured), Coyote Brown, Ranger Green, and Multicam
ITW Nexus Hardware

If you're not familiar with the AVS system, the pack is designed to integrate into an armor setup and offer scalability for a variety of uses and situations, but most of these are designed to integrate into the vest. The manual describes much of these configurations in detail, but for 99% of readers, the one setup they'll use the most will be the backpack. 

My initial worry with this particular pack was that it would be too big to be used in a carry-on situation or daily backpack. From use I've found that it's very low profile and fits well on my back. (For reference, I'm an L/XL in most shirts / jackets) The straps offer lots of adjustment and have management loops to store excess strap. (You never realize how useful this is until you actually have them). 

The use of 4-way stretch materials provides a subtle expansion when you really start stuffing the backpack full of items. The pockets on the outside also have this same material on the outside, letting you really cram them full. Looks are deceiving! In my tests, I would wager that I could fit about two and a half 2 liter US soda bottles into it. There is no official liter sizing, and I'm not sure how to estimate that, but I would guess 6 liters. 

One other neat component is the internal composite frame. It looks to be some type of carbon or fiberglass weave, and is removable. I'm not sure how airport security will respond to this.. We'll see soon. Zippers are shrink wrapped + pull tabs. Perfect for when using gloves. There is also removable padding on the interior of the bag (facing your back) and feels great compared to some other bags with nothing but a thicker nylon. 

One deficiency that I see is the lack of any type of waterproofing / DWR. The zippers are shielded with fabric, but that won't last long in a rainstorm. I'm sure in incidental water contact it'll hold up fine, and generally a lot of mil electronics are weatherproofed, but it would be an interesting addition for a 2.0. The backpack straps are also less padded than I was expecting, especially compared to my MR ASAP. There also isn't a lot of internal organization possibilities either- You may have to look elsewhere to do this. Crye's EXP packs which are more designed for civillian applications do have a frame organizer, but those bags were too big for my tastes. 

The other colorways are definitely subtle but certainly look more government. I would stick with black unless you're dead set on a color. Ranger Green would be my second choice for something a little different. Multicam could work, but it's a very obnoxious camouflage in a civilian setting. 

In short, it's a high quality setup from a high quality company, coming in at a steal of a price point (252.10 USD) when comparing to other brands. The little details like shrink wrapped pulls and strap management shows a level of attention to detail that reflects on the rest of the backpack. 

In the photos you'll see a bunch of additional straps- That's for vest integration. 

1MOarv9.jpg?1

dmNA5vE.jpg

ZuQLIlM.jpg

Edited by limeaide
Grammar

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember circa 2006 I was all over their plate carriers and field pants with integrated knee pads.

The bag looks super interesting, I might pick one up to use as a gym bag. Does it have a mesh back?

Love bags, collect bags... have lots and lots of tactical kit. Here's a few more amazingly innovative tac bag producers:

Top tier tac: London Bridge Tactical (LBX, LBT), First Spear, Crye Precision, Tasmanian Tiger, Matbock, Mystery Ranch,

Mid level: Hazard 4, Prometheus Design Werx, Triple Aught Design, Hill People Gear, Maxpedition, LEAF, OTTE

Lots of entry level crap... not worth a mention. Though 5.11 does have some clever designs from time to time.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:43 PM, tempura_glitch said:

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember circa 2006 I was all over their plate carriers and field pants with integrated knee pads.

The bag looks super interesting, I might pick one up to use as a gym bag. Does it have a mesh back?

That is a no- The bag has removable padding that's spaced to allow airflow. (Quite similar to the padding used on their carriers.) Behind that is velcro and some associated MOLLE straps to attach to the rear of a carrier. 

On 4/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, the-intern said:

Love bags, collect bags... have lots and lots of tactical kit. Here's a few more amazingly innovative tac bag producers:

Top tier tac: London Bridge Tactical (LBX, LBT), First Spear, Crye Precision, Tasmanian Tiger, Matbock, Mystery Ranch,

Mid level: Hazard 4, Prometheus Design Werx, Triple Aught Design, Hill People Gear, Maxpedition, LEAF, OTTE

Lots of entry level crap... not worth a mention. Though 5.11 does have some clever designs from time to time.

I love First Spear and LBT's bags. FS has some well designed covert bags, LBT has a great jumpable pack design as well. 

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question so please let me know if i'm in the wrong and I will delete.

Does anyone know the name (and where I can buy some) of these 'clips' found on the 4D wallet strap

They function to attach the removable strap to the wallet and I'm after some for a project i'm working on.

Thanks in advance!

5acec1240a83c_Capture2.PNG.7f6cdc7b983bde64a1fc2e4a91bbcd8f.PNG

On 4/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, limeaide said:

That is a no- The bag has removable padding that's spaced to allow airflow. (Quite similar to the padding used on their carriers.) Behind that is velcro and some associated MOLLE straps to attach to the rear of a carrier. 

That's fantastic to hear, I absolutely hate mesh backs! They're so harsh on clothes.

Edited by tempura_glitch