Bags, backpacks, duffles, messenger, slings, etc.

[ 1 ] 3A-1/3 are no size for 15'' laptop

[ 2 ] if you don't want neck strain, get a backpack

I know the 3A doesnt work with 15 inch laptops, thats why i asked for something different.

And i dont like backpacks, thats why i specifically asked for a messenger that is ergonomically okay for carrying heavy loads.

messenger that is ergonomically okay for carrying heavy loads.

ergonomical messenger is an oxymoron.

in the end of the day you will be fine, you are probably not going to carry it all day and put more stuff in there. 

I would go with bagjack NXL / HEADPORTER / VISVIM E-CAT. Personally carry 13'' in 3TS (modified straps) or HEADPORTER x  BAGJACK PC MESSENGER.

Love my Acronym 3a-1, but i am getting a laptop soon and i would need a bag for it.

I've been hearing people struggle with laptops in the 3a-1 and that it wears it out. So im looking for a messenger bag about the same size but with a laptop sleeve/compartment for 15 inch computers for a descent price!

Also something that wont give me a neck strain, haha

Thanks for any help!

It depends on the weight you're going to hit. 

My typical carry in e.g. a Bagjack Pogo is:

- Bagjack laptop sleeve
- Pen holder with pen & stylii
- All purpose pouch for stuff
- Wallet, coin pouch
- 2 phones
- Sony RX100 / other compact
- Surface 3 / iPad Pro with Keyboard Covers
- Folding mini umbrella

That's just under 3Kgs, and it's what I consider within a comfortable carry. 

At other times I can head out with the 3A-5TS / TSR and the following: 

- 3A-L1-17
- Pen holder with pen & stylii
- Bagjack tablet pouch
- Maybe a 3A-MP2TS or two
- All purpose pouch for stuff
- Wallet, coin pouch
- 2-3 phones
- Leica Q / M with the smaller lenses
- Surface Book / Macbook Pro 13-inch
- Folding mini umbrella

This is like 5Kg all-up. In terms of numbers that's 'only' 2Kg more, but it's a whole different ballgame to lug for a day. 

At this level, if I know I'm not going to get a break for most of the day or am going to an M with a bigger / heavier lens or one of my other mirrorless cameras with a larger lens, I make the switch to the Isar or Nile. Backpacks are more of a hassle to get at of course, especially when you compare and contrast with the Bagjack / ACR method of "pull tab then do the half-hula" but anything above a 4Kg (bag included) carry day in, day out will likely mean consequences for your shoulder / neck /  back. 

Another messenger that will take anything up to a 17" (and no added costs for a laptop sleeve) but is still pretty lightweight and versatile is the Hazard4 Messenger Of Doom. It's a bit too walt for me though. 
Edited by supersquirrel

I'd size it carefully depending on the size of your laptop. Anything up to 13" is pretty practical, but beyond you might have issues unless you move up a size or two. 

You do get what you pay for: The Classics line has the velcro bucket that you can use all the ACR/Bagjack internal accessories with, but doesn't have the finish of the NXL/ACR - no shoulder pad, regular plastic snap-together closure, regular nylon straps instead of the fine-woven seatbelt like strap, etc. Fine for everyday use tho

If you are buying the Pogo, look at the Special Editions as well -  they often do different colourways. 

Edited by supersquirrel

U1yH3Cm.jpg?1

I picked up a head porter tanker waist bag while in tokyo, and this is one of the best travel bags Ive used. Tons of functional pocketing, great build, and nice material. Has enough space to comfortably carry a packable rain jacket, mini slr camera, umbrella, water bottle ect... 10/10 would recommend. 

Edited by EG562

That Head Porter wait bag reminded me of something I'd love some recommendations for.

I'm planning a trip to South Africa in December, and it doesn't seem like I have the right bag for my daily carry while there.

I'm looking for something:

- Relatively small (i.e. no full messenger bags/backpacks)

- Secure (zip? nothing open to the main compartment when closed)

- Lightly padded

- Inconspicuous

- Easy to adjust strap

- Weather proof/resistant

- Holds a Fuji X-Pro2 + lens, phone, water bottle, maybe a rain shell (J25-WS), pen, keys

So far I've been looking at:

- Bagjack Stealth Sputnik M (not sure if the flap+fidlock is secure enough)

- Topo Light Hip Bag (no longer in production, but a local shop has one in olive)

- Head Porter Tanker (seen above, but might be too flashy looking for what I want)

I have a small messenger, but the main compartment doesn't really close securely with the flap, it's easy to just stick a hand in while closed. I want something that's harder to reach into. 

Anything else I should be considering?

That Head Porter wait bag reminded me of something I'd love some recommendations for.

I'm planning a trip to South Africa in December, and it doesn't seem like I have the right bag for my daily carry while there.

I'm looking for something:

- Relatively small (i.e. no full messenger bags/backpacks)

- Secure (zip? nothing open to the main compartment when closed)

- Lightly padded

- Inconspicuous

- Easy to adjust strap

- Weather proof/resistant

- Holds a Fuji X-Pro2 + lens, phone, water bottle, maybe a rain shell (J25-WS), pen, keys

So far I've been looking at:

- Bagjack Stealth Sputnik M (not sure if the flap+fidlock is secure enough)

- Topo Light Hip Bag (no longer in production, but a local shop has one in olive)

- Head Porter Tanker (seen above, but might be too flashy looking for what I want)

I have a small messenger, but the main compartment doesn't really close securely with the flap, it's easy to just stick a hand in while closed. I want something that's harder to reach into. 

Anything else I should be considering?

Perhaps DSPTCH?  I have the Slingpack and like it.  It has a smaller security pocket against the back (the one with the red zipper pull in the photos) that can easily fit keys, wallet, passport, and other important docs.

I would also recommend Dsptch. I used their shoulder bag as an EDC on a trip to London and was very happy with it. Quality is very nice for the price. Main compartment is zippered, but it does lack the dedicated security pocket on the slingpack.

Perhaps DSPTCH?  I have the Slingpack and like it.  It has a smaller security pocket against the back (the one with the red zipper pull in the photos) that can easily fit keys, wallet, passport, and other important docs.

I would also recommend Dsptch. I used their shoulder bag as an EDC on a trip to London and was very happy with it. Quality is very nice for the price. Main compartment is zippered, but it does lack the dedicated security pocket on the slingpack.

Their stuff is great, but neither are quite right. The strap config on the Slingpack doesn't work for me, I don't love slings. Their should bag is too big, I have a great bag that size but it's more than I need for daily use. 

Anything in this realm that's more the size of the Sputnik M?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whaddup

I'm thinking about buying either the Veilance Nomin backpack or the Outlier Ultrahigh Quadzip. Anoynoe here have experience with one or both and would care to comment on each pack's strong and weak sides?

Ty

I've been using a Nomin for a couple years. It's a great backpack for daily use. 

Strong:

- Amazing quality and materials

- Really smart interior pockets and dividers

- Highly weather resistant

- Lots of smart details, like strap end retaining loops on the shoulder straps so that the long adjustment straps don't dangle

- Looks amazing

Weak:

- Divided interior means that it's not great for large objects

- No waist or chest straps, so with heavier loads there isn't a way to get more support

- No real interior padding, so pack delicate things with care

Earlier in this thread I posted that I was looking for a small bag for an upcoming trip. I ended up with the Topo Minimal Hip Pack, which is actually out of production now. I got the last one at a local shop.

Topo doesn't get a lot of mention around here, but this makes me think that maybe they should. Quality is great, made in USA, nice details and multiple carry options (two different quick-adjust should straps, one removable, can also be use around waist). Padded interior with multiple pockets perfect for camera and daily carry. Zip close means higher security while traveling.

Not quite full on urban tech, they're more outdoors-y, which is probably why it hasn't come up here. But lots of great materials and design details.. and a lot of their stuff now comes in full black stealth colorways. Seems like a good more affordable option for good quality design.

98ddeac9bd3851a4563165b8cf146a2e.jpg

It does look really nice. Was seriously considering the messenger until I saw all that velcro - looks so out of place on a bag at that price point. Guess I'll keep hoping the 3a-1s get restocked before herr trump seals the borders.

Edited by tv_ice

it looks like a missed opportunity to me

[01] take some classic headporter items

[02] apply acronym colorway on it because it's the current hype

[03] done

on the onther hand, haven is a shop in the first place (and shops are for selling), they did great research on what will sell good.

Edited by danii

Waist bag looks very nice. 

tv_ice: what velcro are you talking about ? I'm more shocked by the lack of waterproofed zippers and plastic buckles. For this price you can expect austra alpin or fidlock buckles. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with the Kifaru X-Ray? Need a backpack for those days where a heavy load on my messenger just gets a little too uncomfortable. Using up the MOLLE makes it look a lot more civilian and being able to interchange with other bags makes it appealing.

Edited by Albm

Had it, loved it, sold it, miss it. It's heavy as fuck empty but indestructible. I beat the shit out of it for ~2 years and it looked brand new when I sold it. It's a really comfortable bag tho, I think it comes in a slick version if the look of too much molle doesn't appeal to u. They make another version called the zippy that I haven't personally used but has the same utility and layout in a bit smaller size

Not directly suited for your everyday needs but if you like to push it forward the 3day bagpack from Highgroundgear is wicked. I have one in black.

http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/hg3d-jtac-3-day-pack-quick-release-waistbelt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZY8LgCCEOU

Edited by Sjefur

Had it, loved it, sold it, miss it. It's heavy as fuck empty but indestructible. I beat the shit out of it for ~2 years and it looked brand new when I sold it. It's a really comfortable bag tho, I think it comes in a slick version if the look of too much molle doesn't appeal to u. They make another version called the zippy that I haven't personally used but has the same utility and layout in a bit smaller size

I actually do prefer the molle version! It seems the only complaint people have about it is the weight but other than that it seems to be worth it.

Not directly suited for your everyday needs but if you like to push it forward the 3day bagpack from Highgroundgear is wicked. I have one in black.

http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/hg3d-jtac-3-day-pack-quick-release-waistbelt

Cheers, i'll look into it!

It's pretty good, I've had it for 2 years now and quality wise it still looks brand new. Pockets are good and useful, you can actually fit a surprisingly lot of stuff in there (yay for 13'' laptop compartment) and the zippers are good. I don't get to use mine that often, but I usually use it as a camera bag when I'm out and about. 

The only 2 things I would've changed about it is the lack of a tri-point system, which would come in handy when cycling, and that I had to get used to the fact that it sits pretty horizontal on your back. When I got it I was expecting it to be more like a traditional waist bag that goes from top left shoulder to the bottom right. 

Edited by Warakia