Bags, backpacks, duffles, messenger, slings, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone have thoughts on the mission workshop messengers? Interested in buying the Monty

Also wondering if it'll fit the techwear aesthetic

Edited by Azhe

Re: Mission Workshop Monty

Had one of the AP Series for about a year or more. (On my way to the land of Fidlock buckles I thought those aluminum buckles were smart for closing but extremely annoying when openeed and extended, going klonkedyklonk everywhere or hitting you in the hand). The medium size was roomy and the strap extremely/appropriately comfortable (wide). The rolltop thing was rather smart too. I think there were 3 subcompartments in that zippered front compartment. (But I realized I need more storage possibilities in my main compartment rather than outer pockets.) The Buckle in the front was very usable for the adjusting (even when the bag was fully loaded/heavy), but a bit big/square...

T'was a good bag with good manufacturing. Only passed it on because I had found an all black/no-logo Bagjack messenger with Fidlock Slider buckles in Japan).

As for the techwear aesthetic... I dunno man, It's a good hardwearing bag and looks like a messenger with a rolltop... just buy a black one.

Edited by hjpx

yeah the black one is from xpac fabric we all love on acr bags. l would have removed the buckes and replaced them with fidlocks, it looks nice when rolled up from my point of view, but too basic when just flapped.

on the otherhand there are quite a few techwear subgenres and l bet there is at least one where MW would fit in.

Re: Mission Workshop Monty

Only passed it on because I had found an all black/no-logo Bagjack messenger with Fidlock Slider buckles in Japan).

As for the techwear aesthetic... I dunno man, It's a good hardwearing bag and looks like a messenger with a rolltop... just buy a black one.

If I buy the MW I intend to have it rolled up as flap down isn't too much to my taste

Besides the mission workshop monty (eye is on the black camo limited edition version), I was looking at the bagjack too, I'm really interested in the fidlock version but the price put me off; my budget is around 300usd (400aud) and if I go past that budget I may as well jump for an acronym 3rd arm

How's the comparison between the mission workshop and bagjack? Also did you buy it from Japan second hand, because if there's a fidlock bagjack that falls within my budget I wouldn't mind going for it, I just need to know where to look haha

it's not like I am saying avoid the MW, just few options.

and I am releasing AOKU messenger by the end of the year

Not too big of a fan of both sadly but thanks for the suggestions

Do you have any info on your messenger? Like how it'll look etc

BROWN RC CRUIS MODEL -SHOULDER-

(I would consider if I was looking for small 17l bag with right hand swing)

360103-01.jpg

360103-09.jpg

(17000JPY)

This is a nice man purse! Good find. Do you have a Link for that danii? Lazy googling only got me a bunch cruise ship hits.

The difference to an ordinary messenger bags is in a few details, but mainly the main compartment closure. The only reason I like flaps (with a collar) is because they allow you to pack so much that you cant close the buckles properly and usually all will stay inside through gravity and pullstrings.

[Yeah you would have switched the buckles danii, wouldn't you.  :) I may have the vision, but I severly lack the chops and equipment for such an operation and with de aluminum buckles version that would have been a bit more complicated.]

Peak Design is a offering a nice big sling with a simiar opening/closure (that open towards the body though) with a lot of nice details. If you can get over the color options.

If I buy the MW I intend to have it rolled up as flap down isn't too much to my taste

Besides the mission workshop monty (eye is on the black camo limited edition version), I was looking at the bagjack too, I'm really interested in the fidlock version but the price put me off; my budget is around 300usd (400aud) and if I go past that budget I may as well jump for an acronym 3rd arm

How's the comparison between the mission workshop and bagjack? Also did you buy it from Japan second hand, because if there's a fidlock bagjack that falls within my budget I wouldn't mind going for it, I just need to know where to look haha

Unfortunately that Bagjack Messenger seems to be one of those Asian Brand Exklusives and it was a bit under 300 (got it by chance at Tomorrowland, the store I usually try to get the f123 out of as soon as I'm in it.)

The bagjack is simpler in appearance and looks like an ordinary messenger. The stabilizing strap that goes from sternum around the body seems better here through specific construction. The clip on the loose Part of strap (main) is awesome and a better solution than on the MW. (That alone should make that bag/experience "techwear". Just joking. But also not really.) The Bagjacl has 2 additional horizontal "strap" on the side for affixing pouches I guess. It has a slight collar (but smaller than the MW) on the main flap with a pullstring which I like. Then only a small outter puch with zipper closure on the front. Inside the main compartment (wich is constructed as all Bagjack seem to be: inner bags affixed with velcro to the outer "shell")

The MW has more pockets. Way more. It has a way more comfortable main strap (shoulder area).

I guess it comes down how/where you'd like to stow your stuff and how much you will be carrying (and how strong/boney your shoulders are). I like more of my stuf in the main compartment, than in various pockets all over the bag. I carry my flap loosly thrown over the bag most of the time. And I love the Fidlock Sliders! (unless I'm leaning against something medal and they go CLONK CLONK...)

I could go on but I'm not very coherent at the moment. Hope this helps.

Edited by hjpx

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking on this forum a bit and getting some massive style inspiration from everyone here. Any of you guys got experience with Hanchor? Been lookin' all over for reviews on these guys and only found one in English and another in Thai that didn't really do a good job discussing it.

pipet1b.jpg

Hanchor PIPE-T1

9.JPG

Looks pretty solid for a <$200 backpack. Uses Xpac-VX21 which is 200d cordura and some other fancy shit.

I have the twin touch memory tech one http://www.coteetciel.com/en-US/isar-backpack-twin-touch-black-laptop-bag. I mostly like it. The fabric is super thin and takes on interesting shapes, and the actual laptop compartment works really well for the type of stuff I carry. Laptop, legal pad or two, and a bunch of random stuff that's easy to get to from the hanging zippered pouch. The duffel part isn't really that functional though. It loads like a duffel bag, which seems appealing, but everything tends to slide to the bottom when you put it on as a backpack. You can adjust the straps to try to secure it better, but, man, it is slow going with those straps. They are not easy to tighten or loosen. 

i also have one but i never really use it other than for hauling large/oddly shaped items (a shoebox, groceries etc). my main disappointments with it would be:

1. straps are not that comfortable, and hard to pull your arm out if you properly cinch the pack high up/close to your back to bear loads better. i often have to loosen some slack into the strap to be able to slip my arm out.. pretty inconvenient, especially when getting on the train or something and you need to quickly draw your bag when you sit or set it on the ground if it's crowded

2. the silhouette of the actual rigid compartment is pretty egg-like and doesn't work well on my shorter/narrower build

3. organization is just okay. from what I remember, one top zip compartment in the main, and then a padded laptop sleeve. on the front of the bag, one long zip pocket. nothing really stays in place though as spladow mentioned above

I still like SAG a lot, even if their current lineup is a bit mixed on saglifetokyo.com  

I ended up getting a dead-stock Delta Force in Olive to replace my 7 year old daily carried Megatron that finally gave up the ghost.

Airforce 2 looks decent: http://www.saglifetokyo.com/store/products/detail.php?product_id=298

08291313_57c3b67a42b02.jpg

Sag DeltaForce:

img56609964.jpg

They have slots and padding that fit a 15" MacBook Pro nicely, good organization, looks decent. The one I picked up has bottle holders instead of removable velcro sides pockets.

I'm not really a big fan of Mission Workshop or even Bagjack's backpack (even when it was covered with molle mounts for Acronym). ILE ( http://ilequipment.com/http://ilequipment.com/ ) is ok, but the shape when full is kinda eh.

• 4 weeks later...

Love my Acronym 3a-1, but i am getting a laptop soon and i would need a bag for it.

I've been hearing people struggle with laptops in the 3a-1 and that it wears it out. So im looking for a messenger bag about the same size but with a laptop sleeve/compartment for 15 inch computers for a descent price!

Also something that wont give me a neck strain, haha

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Dellamore

Love my Acronym 3a-1, but i am getting a laptop soon and i would need a bag for it.

I've been hearing people struggle with laptops in the 3a-1 and that it wears it out. So im looking for a messenger bag about the same size but with a laptop sleeve/compartment for 15 inch computers for a descent price!

Also something that wont give me a neck strain, haha

Arcteryx Fyx 13.