116740 APPROVED SHOES

danii

I need a low top winter sneaker recommendation.

I got a pair of the Nike Gyakusou Fly Knit Free 3.0 (black and slate color way) a couple of years ago and they're my favorite shoe. Understated, simple and not a ton of frills. They hug my flat feet which feels good, and makes them look good. Also, the sole is extra thick, absorbent, and cozy. A point of reference, I got a pair of the Air Mocs last year and those have no support and the material doesn't conform to my feet so they look like pancakes, but the material is warm.

The problem with the Fly Knits is they're not good cold weather shoes so I need something for winter. Ideally something mostly black with an accent color, and possibly a black sole (white would be fine too). I want something simple and with a good sole, without looking like I have dad shoes on. Y-3 seems like it could fit the bill but nothing by them is understated (not into the tubular sole). Also, there are new variations on the Presto which could work, but I'm not sure how warm they would be and didn't people have issue with the tape on the toe coming off. Not into that. Not looking for anything water proof or resistant either, that base I have covered.

Also, not into AF1s or anything that's super bulky.

Halp.

1 hour ago, Bigyen said:

I need a low top winter sneaker recommendation.

I got a pair of the Nike Gyakusou Fly Knit Free 3.0 (black and slate color way) a couple of years ago and they're my favorite shoe. Understated, simple and not a ton of frills. They hug my flat feet which feels good, and makes them look good. Also, the sole is extra thick, absorbent, and cozy. A point of reference, I got a pair of the Air Mocs last year and those have no support and the material doesn't conform to my feet so they look like pancakes, but the material is warm.

The problem with the Fly Knits is they're not good cold weather shoes so I need something for winter. Ideally something mostly black with an accent color, and possibly a black sole (white would be fine too). I want something simple and with a good sole, without looking like I have dad shoes on. Y-3 seems like it could fit the bill but nothing by them is understated (not into the tubular sole). Also, there are new variations on the Presto which could work, but I'm not sure how warm they would be and didn't people have issue with the tape on the toe coming off. Not into that. Not looking for anything water proof or resistant either, that base I have covered.

Also, not into AF1s or anything that's super bulky.

Halp.

buy a pair of any low cut leather shoes it'll pretty much do what you want and since you don't like bulkier shoes maybe try CP bball lows? Cp achilles will be too tight for your feet.

1 hour ago, Bigyen said:

I've considered CP, but the soles look meh. It's like a converse or van sole, unless I'm mistaken.

CP (Achilles at least) I've found are far more comfortable than Converse and Vans. I wouldn't put them in the leagues of anything with a free sole or boost sole but I think CP's are actually pretty comfortable. I have a couple of pairs, I used a pair as an everyday beater for a while and had no complaints.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the soles are quite different. CP's use a Margom sole, the standard for luxury footwear, which is more comfortable and harder wearing than the soles of Vans and Converse. Maybe not as many times better as people claim but definitely better.

On the subject of low cut leather sneakers, maybe look at some leather runners instead? A few brands offer some good variations of this silhouette

When my favorite Nike Frees disintegrated last winter I replaced them with a pair of Lalo Tactical Zodiac Recons. Love the foot-shaped extra wide toe box and the kevlar upper is water resistant enough.

Forefoot isn’t as flexible as a Free but what is?

https://www.lalotactical.com has a fall lookbook with winterized shoes; the AT version in black/red isn’t as attractive as the regular Black Ops.

5 minutes ago, capnpyro said:

Where can you find them for that, I'd cop a pair if I found 'em under 250

https://www.matchesfashion.com/au/products/Common-Projects-Original-Achilles-low-top-leather-trainers-1162004

Cheapest I found quickly (I'm at work) but they easily get lower than that with sales/codes... $300USD with free shipping. 

7 hours ago, chris_n said:

did y'all size TTS for the 11 BBS salomon bamba 2's? i'm usually an 8.5US in sneakers/running shoes and trying to decide between a 41 or 42

I wear a UK10 in Nikes and went with a UK10 in these. They are snug and designed so but it wasn't enough for me to go half a size up. That said, I know quite a few people went half a size up. So I'd say definitely don't size down to the 41 and go with the 42.

A thing to note is, (not sure if you know) but the sizing is a bit funky. The 41 is a 41 1/3 / UK7.5 / US8 and there's two 42's. A round 42 / UK8 / US8.5 or a 42 2/3 / UK8.5 / US9 so just be sure which 42 the retailer / individual is selling.

12 hours ago, Yoshiii said:

I wear a UK10 in Nikes and went with a UK10 in these. They are snug and designed so but it wasn't enough for me to go half a size up. That said, I know quite a few people went half a size up. So I'd say definitely don't size down to the 41 and go with the 42.

A thing to note is, (not sure if you know) but the sizing is a bit funky. The 41 is a 41 1/3 / UK7.5 / US8 and there's two 42's. A round 42 / UK8 / US8.5 or a 42 2/3 / UK8.5 / US9 so just be sure which 42 the retailer / individual is selling.

thanks. i noticed the funky sizing. unfortunately the color i posted is now out of stock in 42 and only offering 41. WOMP

Bamba appreciation / sizing post

My friends and I love em and I have to say shoe of the year to be honest.

Crazy comfy for walking around all day / sadly not exactly waterproof however due to just open mesh panels smh.

I wear a 9 in most things and got a 9 in these so would say tts from my experience.

You can remove the laces for easy on off losing a bit of stability.

The dyed pairs are by fare my favourite especially the black and white distressed pairs.

Getting harder to track down now - I was able to find mine at BBS on a trip in NY not too long ago and my other friend got them at Ink in HK.

DSC04430.thumb.jpg.5c76a983fc6607354da696d3e987b654.jpg

DSC04356.thumb.jpg.233ba454a698a3cfd57646beb50ac323.jpg

IMG_4462.thumb.jpg.3edeffbb5cbd92c93958ac8c698b22bc.jpg

Edited by Tilore

I'm not a fan of how rounded that iteration of the free sole looks, that aside the shoe could be real good. Hopefully it comes in monotone colourway.

It's essentially what I like in a sneaker, high, slim and lightweight. The reasons I'm such a fan of the mercurial flyknit and this time they've managed to finally make the Nike tick a little smaller.