Standard & Strange / Oakland CA / Info, Updates, Etc

mrsmiff

Hi SuFu –

We are Standard & Strange, based in Oakland, CA.  We're a denim-centric menswear shop.  You can find us right at 5010 Telegraph Ave, next door to Pizzaiolo.

aRK1VQj.jpg

Our brand list is extensive, to say the least, but here's the highlights:

Full Count

Ooe Yofuketen

Indigofera

Masterson's

Free Note

Rogue Territory

Momotaro

Japan Blue Jeans

Tellason

Circle of Friends

Naked & Famous

Shockoe

Thrux Lawrence

Monitaly

Alden

Trickers

Yuketen

We buy brands that we believe in, without compromise.  Initially, it was only Made In USA goods, but as we traveled and were introduced to more and more great brands, we added Canada, Japan, Europe, and the UK to our roster.

We're constantly expanding our denim selection with the goal of being able to fit just about anyone to a great pair of jeans, whether it's N&F weird guys in stretch selvedge denim, or 18oz Momotaro Natural Tapers.  We take the same approach to shirts, jackets, boots, and everything else – we try to have fits that work for just about anyone. 

About our name – one of my areas of interest has always been urban development, planning, and use, and one of the standout books in that area is “The Death and Life of Great American Cities†by Jane Jacobs.

There's a passage that's stuck with me over the years:

"Cities, however, are the natural homes of supermarkets and standard movie houses plus delicatessens, Viennese bakeries, foreign groceries, art movies, and so on, all of which can be found co-existing, the standard with the strange, the large with the small." (bold emphasis mine).

When we found our original space – in Temescal Alley – it was on it's 3rd rebirth – originally horse stables, the store fronts in the alley had long been used as cheap storage lockers.  When we built out the space we were tearing out boards that been there for 100+ years.

Our goal – whether it's denim, boots, or shirts – is to make sure every person coming through our door gets what they want, even if it's just a shot of whiskey and a warm welcome.

The best place to catch us online outside of here is Instagram, and via our email list.

Our 3-year anniversary party:

YW9ns6o.jpg

The denim wall:

gJDpDxX.jpg

When we needed gift cards, we went all in, and made them from brass:

Tjsj5Hf.jpg

We get a bit obsessive about our denim details - here's a macro of Full Count's 100% Zimbabwean cotton:

lxcgqQe.jpg

And another because why not:

IwQO3AW.jpg

Kapital Century denim and aged button:

SCmnTrn.jpg

Finally, Brandon, one of our team, getting serious about some Rogue Territory and Momotaro:

gMZVlIl.jpg

So happy to have y'all on here!!!  Can't wait to get updates/pics, even though I'm just around the corner.  

I just visited this storefront today (I work in Oakland sometimes) - I have to say that I was quite impressed.  A good variety of labels and styles in there, and the worker (Brandon) seemed very knowledgeable about the product.  Despite the above pictures, it feels much more spacious than I had been anticipating.  Finally, and I mean this in the best possible way: it seems like a legit store, and not just some overhyped hipster haven.  I look forward to the new shipments and collaborations they got in the works.  

Fabulous job, guys.

(And if you are visiting the store, Bakesale Betty, a few doors down, which I also went to for the first time today, is worth a stop).

So happy to have y'all on here!!!  Can't wait to get updates/pics, even though I'm just around the corner.  

Oh I'm about to update the hell out of this thread.

I just visited this storefront today (I work in Oakland sometimes) - I have to say that I was quite impressed.  A good variety of labels and styles in there, and the worker (Brandon) seemed very knowledgeable about the product.  Despite the above pictures, it feels much more spacious than I had been anticipating.  Finally, and I mean this in the best possible way: it seems like a legit store, and not just some overhyped hipster haven.  I look forward to the new shipments and collaborations they got in the works.  

Fabulous job, guys.

(And if you are visiting the store, Bakesale Betty, a few doors down, which I also went to for the first time today, is worth a stop).

Thanks!  I think we probably just missed each other, or I was hiding upstairs abusing an excel sheet.  

NEW FLANNEL ALERT EVERYONE!

wavwE5w.jpg

Every since we started working with Indigofera, they’ve had some version of the Norris flannel shirt in their lineup.  The latest version is our absolute favorite, by far.   

The fabric is a heavyweight 3x1 selvedge twill, woven on shuttle looms in Japan.  The 3x1 is an important detail – this flannel will wear like iron due to the rugged nature of this weave.  Plus, it’s a selvedge flannel.  That’s pretty damn rare.

7UKnfsr.jpg

The check is made from indigo dyed yarns, meaning this shirt is going to fade and take on a character of its own over time. 

r4GyYEh.jpg

4-hole melamine buttons close this fucker up.  Urea buttons are a cool historical detail on some flannels, but melamine is equally historically accurate, and much more durable.  It’s nearly unbreakable, and fireproof, to boot.

The last great vintage detail on this garment are the bias cut pockets and yoke, making the whole thing even more of a treat to look at.

PdixDgT.jpg

Have a couple more pix of this rad warm-shirt:HCTzQKz.jpgS1kxor0.jpg

See more here->  OUR INTERNET STORE BLATANT SELF-PROMO!

I feel like stickied posts kind of get looked over. i like how SE thread gets bumped all the time with new stuff.

Good point - I wasn't sure if I should pin this or not.  I'm going to leave it pinned for another week and then let it float as we post new things.   Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got a batch of the 13.5oz black japanese denim trucker jackets in from Tellason.  It's the trucker jacket we all wanted - which is not-indigo to avoid the denim-suit, and with side pockets so we have somewhere to put our hands at parties.

qoonuss.jpg

iq1L2ga.jpg

W4clq11.jpg

Here's the sexy hand pocket again:

Q679jF7.jpg

Edited by mrsmiff

Went in with my friend about a month ago and got to meet Brandon and Jeremy. Brandon greeted us with a free beer (Don't think this is an 'all the time' type of thing) but it was great to see the shop and chat for a few mins. My friend picked up some Tellason jeans and I got to finally try on some 1108's; and of course they "didn't" have arcs. *wink*

Will be sure to head back in the near future and so glad to know a Bart trip wont always be necessary for me to get good gear.

Super tempted by the trucker. Doesn't Tellason also have the indigo variant as well? My problem is that I don't own any black clothing outside of a t-shirt, so wearing a black denim trucker might behhard for me to pull off

Black denim trucker is the best trucker - works with jeans, chinos, whatever.  Also, get more black stuff!   I avoided black anything for years because of the fedora-trenchcoat-black-reebok stigma, but have grabbing a ton of it lately.  

Went in with my friend about a month ago and got to meet Brandon and Jeremy. Brandon greeted us with a free beer (Don't think this is an 'all the time' type of thing) but it was great to see the shop and chat for a few mins. My friend picked up some Tellason jeans and I got to finally try on some 1108's; and of course they "didn't" have arcs. *wink*

Will be sure to head back in the near future and so glad to know a Bart trip wont always be necessary for me to get good gear.

We always got beer and whiskey around, but we don't usually offer until after 4pm for some reason.  Glad you enjoyed coming in, swing by whenever, and hang out.  

I've been looking for a place that has the Tellason 16 chore coat in a L so i can try it on, but no worries :)

What other jackets do you have?  I wear the L in the tellason chore, and I'm an XL in Rogue Territory jackets.  If you wear a Large in Tellason shirting, you should be a large in the chore as well.