The philosophies of stayhandome('s rant thread)

SSchadenfreude

10487459_10203540402064731_7564049848363

I used to be into fashion. Now I just try to find goods second hand that are made in humane ways.

People use clothing as a way to divide themselves from one another for the sake of being unique.

The light on my forehead is in a lot of my pictures. With it I see more than what you wear.

Now I am into what cannot be seen.

Every day I further my spiritual progression and fashion has nothing to do with it.

Although some hold turquoise and other minerals in high regards.

Be yourself, an evolved organism of definable substances fueled by light.

While I don't completely disagree, you can't jump to conclusions as if you've "figured everything out". People use clothing to embrace their heritage, to defy others (rebellion), to seek acceptance, for personal well-being, because they are generally interested in the process or design, to bridge gaps among other cultures, to create an identity, etc etc- it all boils down to unique experiences that individuals or groups share. Just because you believe it is used to divide does not at all mean that is universally true.

Many people are into the non-material things, particularly those that make you spiritually enriched. Who's to say you cannot do both, there are material and immaterial things in this world.

IDK where you were going with the turquoise and minerals bit (lol) but that falls in line with the material vs immaterial argument, to which there is nothing wrong with embracing both. Good for you that you can find spiritual enrichment without taking interest in objects.

Also- you are clearly identifying with a particular subculture with your tattoos, your type of dress, etc. There is no particular way you can have no material identity and not let it shape who you are. Just because you buy second hand goods does not mean you are a good person or mindful of others, the environment, etc. 

Where I agree with you- obviously people often prioritize the material world over things like relationships or how your personality defines you. There are several people I can think of who leverage material possession for "spiritual" enrichment. You can really see the fallacy that material things buys happiness falls short. It's pretty obvious to the majority, but if you're just figuring that out now that's fine as well...

This aint your normal Rick Owens ad full of color, this is a piece of fashion history.

Kaisik Wong, innovator of wearable art, had a little event in SF decades ago. Literally at the start of his career, before the Betty Davis album cover. This flyer measures over 12 inches long at it's longest. Honestly this belongs in an archive or museum. Yours for $120. The Cockettes are a well known drag group and their poster is the same price!

il_570xN.858625064_8f18-L.jpg

il_570xN.858617574_9bby-L.jpg

I moved from Chicago to Venice Beach 6 years ago and started scouring the area for cultural history to support my existence as opposed to working for a board of shareholders I'll never see. Yesterday I found a record signed by Gaylord Carter, the famed organist of the silent movie era. Everything is legit. These flyers came in a box of ephemera with lots of Muhammad Speaks and Black Panther publications from the early 70's as well as psychedelic rock and concert poster design stuff. He or she who previously owned these was on point!

Edited by SSchadenfreude

• 1 year later...