Denime 66xx World Tour

louisbosco

Thanks Maynard. Well,

the goros system, if you're familiar with the old one, was that you rock up at 6ish in the morning and start queuing and they open at 1 and they let 4 in at one go. the new system being that everyone shows up at 11 and queue for a raffle number randomised by an ipad, so you get the number the ipad shows and be that place in the queue. still they open at one and let about 4-6 in at one time.

if you aren't familiar with goros though, there's only that iconic orange building store in harajuku where you can purchase it without mad resell prices. the catch being that you may not get what you want even if they might have it in stock. they would simply tell you it's not available. 

Edited by louisbosco

15th Jan

We hit the city after Niseko and did some sightseeing for the day. A visit to Okurayama Ski Jump which hosted the the first winter olympics in Asia, Sapporo Beer Museum and the Sapporo Factory which used to be a brewery for the Sapporo beer company and now is a mall. Honestly, the mall was quite underwhelming and quiet. other than that, the views from the top of the ski jump was breathtaking and the beer museum was informative..

IMG_1784_zpspy625zda.jpgIMG_1799_zps8hdblzyg.jpgIMG_1800_zpsadup27i0.jpgIMG_1804_zpsmg9hvjas.jpgIMG_1838_zpsvtcxsdjl.jpgIMG_1855_zpsmseywlu1.jpgIMG_1862_zps1yilhomv.jpg

IMG_1892_zpsf55dtrtj.jpgIMG_1896_zpsv6pgm32z.jpg

i have to say i did enjoy the sapporo classic quite thoroughly. Very strong flavours of malt. as opposed to the natural tasting first ever sapporo beer Kaitakushi or the normal exported fruity sapporo black.

Continued

IMG_1906_zpsebfdoucr.jpgIMG_1899_zpsww5atojh.jpg

another day, another ramen from the street. and tried something quirky from their KFC. i was actually looking to try a fried salmon from kfc but the menu have changed and the special item is now fried prawn sticks. not as fantastic as i thought it was though..

IMG_5604_zpsoqi56rkp.jpg

IMG_5620_zpskldhw41d.jpgIMG_5621_zpsr5qz6mtj.jpg

Panoramic View from above the ski jump

IMG_5602_zpsepykn294.jpg

@rightyow77 yeah what redragon said.

goros have been around since the early 80s 90s. the man goro takahashi himself went to live with the native americans to learn the craft of the people. he came back and started his silver making in Tokyo. Up till today, the iconic building in harajuku is the only place you can get his items without paying mad resell prices. he does everything from silver to leather crafting. goros is being known for not selling you an item you when if he reckon's that it doesn't suit you. they will simply tell you that it is out of stock because nobody knows how much stock they actually have.

the old queueing system will be that people queue up about 6 in the morning and they will open at 1. they will let 4 people in at a time and serve each customer in order individually. if you needed conchos for your wallet or more feathers for you necklace, he will add it all on the spot. sadly though, much of the old system is a thing of the past now.

Edited by louisbosco

it really depends on the difficulty you'll be able to get the items in the goros store itself. as an example. gold tip is less expensive in store but commands a higher resell price, a gold top is more expensive in store but lesser on resell. gold tip is rare to get and gold top is easier. that being said, there's no rough resell "margin" if you wanna put it. as the example above gold top would be about 700ish retail 1.2 resell and the gold tip would be 500ish but 1.8k resell. rough estimates...

17th and 18th Jan

Compiling the updates. Picture heavy. Hit sapporo dome, the stadium for the world cup 2002, the one with the moving pitch and shiroi koibito factory on the last day in sapporo. the next day, took a flight down to osaka and manage to squeeze in umeda sky building's observatory before wandering around shinsaibashi area. the travelling is starting to take it's toll. on my last week and back in tokyo now. 

IMG_5698_zps5hhgqm5z.jpg

IMG_5703_zpsrdmdnzxw.jpgIMG_2018_zpslqmszuz9.jpgIMG_1962_zpszybakdmr.jpgIMG_2012_zpsvgct25nz.jpgIMG_1974_zpsk6t6yan5.jpgIMG_1984_zpsdnwx402p.jpgIMG_1983_zpspdqvosig.jpgIMG_2029_zpsxsocjmq7.jpgIMG_2006_zpsxpojtsbc.jpg

19th Jan

Visited Kyoto for the day. Didn't even realise that i came to Kyoto two years back and been to kiyomizudera without going further in. What a wally. Managed to cover more of kyoto this time. Kiyo and Fumishi Inari for the day. Coming to the end of my leg calendar wise, i'm starting to really like this pair, i'm actually going to pick one up when i'm in tokyo.

IMG_2201_zpsjruo3ozg.jpgIMG_2205_zps2sk6mnsw.jpgIMG_2206_zpsgpeaboff.jpgIMG_2212_zpsybbkmfpt.jpgIMG_2345_zpswj15svs4.jpgIMG_2229_zps1ukwz2tb.jpgIMG_2238_zpsmfifzrgo.jpgIMG_2280_zpsngtohzox.jpgIMG_2322_zpsbpm1aca7.jpgIMG_2332_zpsubotnh9m.jpg

Didn't they change owners again after Flash bought the tour pair? I suppose the new owners might have changed it, just like when McCoys took over and Hayashi-san no longer was part of the equation. 

Edit: But b_F and Rayw is more wellversed in Denime history than I am, we'll see if they have some proper input!

Edited by Bobbo

I really can’t comment on Denime’s recent activities. That said, I considered to sell my size (new) Denime 66XX size 34 and buy a (new) Denime 66XX size 36 as the bigger waist and thigh room is good for such a low rise cut.

If you haven’t said anything about different fit I wouldn’t have known they (might) changed it again.

There was talk several weeks ago that McCoys sold Denime again but there is no information about who owns them now. But with all the recent released and the route Denime of today is heading, I am not sure I am really interested in them anymore. Lots of made in China products, slim/skinny cuts…dunno. They definitely haven’t good the vibe they used to have. At least to me.

yeah. unfortunately the guy i was conversing with had only minimal english vocabulary. i asked him about the fabric and he said okayama cotton, though i can't compare that with the old ones because my history in them is not well versed. i did noticed a slimmer fit in a size 29 in both this world tour pair and the pair i bought, thighs through to hem. also with the colour of the fabric, it is noticeably different from the world tour pair.

i have to agree their direction that i see is very more "fashionable", if you could put it that way. and in my thoughts, i've always pictured denime as a very vintage denim kinda brand.

that said, b_F, i did pick up a pair of resolute as well after seeing all your post over in the other thread.

So you say the pair you tried in Japan was slimmer than Flash’s pair of World Tour Jeans although they were the same size? Such a big difference that you would say it is more than the “usual†sizing differences based on the handmade manufacturing?

That would really be interesting. The “new†66XX are already noticeable slimmer than the old models from Shins, Orizzonti, etc.

You bought a pair of 710? Very nice choice! Give us an update about them ;)

yeah. i'd say that the pair i tried in japan is definitely slimmer than the world tour pair. i remember that first day i put it on and thought to myself "oh geez, this is a tad bigger than what i expected but it'll still work". It is noticeably different over the room in the thighs and waist especially. It's not huge but neither is it "usual" based on handmade manufacturing.

am i right to say that 66xx is supposed to follow the Levi's 1966 cut in which those brands initially got their inspirations from? i would try to get a comparison fit picture while i still have the jeans but it'll have to wait. i still need to sort out my luggage issues...

and yes, i did buy a pair of 710, i'll do an update when i get back to australia in the resolute thread as they've already been shipped back in parcel no.1. i now dread to pack parcel no.2 for shipment...

20th Jan

Headed over to Kyoto again for a visit to their imperial castle. Out of nowhere when i decided to put on my white FBTs, kyoto decided to snow for that day for the first time in 90 years or something like that. Wasn't impressed at all. You'll have to make an appointment with the imperial household agency for a guided tour in groups, so the day was just pretty much of the imperial palace tour.

IMG_5935_zpspwsy15k9.jpg

IMG_2608_zpscspg5dqd.jpgIMG_2622_zpsfwug5wzu.jpgIMG_2640_zpspuk6pste.jpgIMG_2649_zpsasmcums1.jpgIMG_2606_zpsleuypwqf.jpgIMG_2651_zps9xj6ohib.jpgIMG_2665_zpspavuk4og.jpgIMG_2662_zpsawsqy1qv.jpgIMG_2666_zpszqzkfols.jpg

Thanks @unders

@ironhorse, it's alright. i wouldn't say that it was fantastic, but it's worth seeing what's what about the imperial family in the olden days. i'd say if you have the time cause you have to go there and check if they have availability for the tour. you can't simply walk in on your own..

and to lukenstein, please pm me your address, i'll get the jeans shipped out monday/tuesday when i get back to perth.