Ooe Yofukuten: 2016 Contest Interest Thread

aho

Thanks again for setting all this up! Good pricing too, that's pretty much what I paid after shipping to get my pair direct from Ooe.

So Aho, since this is a denim that none of us knows, do they have any guidance on the approximate shrink from initial raw state to smallest post-wash? Does the #17 tend to shrink a lot (like the OA XX fabric) or less than usual, or is it about the typical 4-5% shrink? Also, any idea of whether it's particularly stretchy or stays snug? Just trying to figure out if I should size up 2 or up 1 from normal.

I'll update the opening post later today with more details (international shipping, sizing, etc.), but essentially Ooe says the fabric will behave similarly as their others and sizing and measurements will be the same as all other 02 cuts. I've found there isn't much variation (if any at all) from the charts with my own personal pairs but the sizing advice from Ooe remains; Measure your waist (or wherever you where your jeans), add 2 inches and order that size. Ooe's will shrink FROM tagged size.

For example, I typically wear size 34 in most jeans, but take a 36 in Ooe's. I do not advocate downsizing in general so I'm biased but theoretically you could get away with +1 if you have a tiny waist and don't plan on many washes. I'll be sticking with my typical 36 though!

Glad this is taking shape so quickly, I'll be down for a 38 in that case if they're sized the same as the OA02XX.

Can't wait for this to start, would be cool to meet some of y'all along the way too.

@aho__ 'Never had Ooe's, so I don't know the cut config of 02XX. Are your W36 same cut?! If, yes, can u post up [current/post wash] measurements of your w36, when u get a chance, plz?!

Damn, I really thought I got the binge&purge thing on the wraps__ But, #17 slubby LHT w/grey weft seems an interesting prospect & w/c I find hard to resist :)

Not ready to commit just yet ... but will follow closely ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

^BrownMetallic, I have 02's but in a W34 from the original contest a few years back. My current W36 is the 01XX cut and therefore not applicable, but everything on those is spot on with the Ooe chart, save for being .10" off in the thigh measurement which is basically nothing! You're always welcome if you change your mind  B)

There's a part of me that wants to believe that if I got a 33, the rest of the fit would fall in line. Then there's the part of me that knows that TCB '50s cut is perfect for me and the 02XX in a 33 is still slimmer and lower rise and would be 1" too big in the waist.

hey Jared, dunno where have you looked for charts but when I've looked myself on OOE website I've found out that this OOE cut has a even higher waist than the TCB'S. a 02 in size 38 which is the equivalent of a TCB size 36 has a front rise of 12.5 inches. TCB 36 is 11.7 inches circa.

the TCB front rise is my sweet spot, everything higher than that doesn't work on me, and this is what takes me out of this contest unfortunately. pity!

I'll be watching from the sidelines and sincerely hoping this will turn out in another epic celebration of japanese denimology.

fair play to Aho for putting this up, and fair play to S&S to work out a sound retail price.

so I'll stay away from contest this year, going to miss the challenge...

what will be next Aho? cook up a great contest for 2017 and I'll join in. Another obscure-ish small scale japanese repro wabi sabi brand, following the footsteps of TCB and OOE would be necessary..Denimbridge 2017 contest? hahahah!!

Edited by volvo240thebest

I have a pair of OA02 that I will measure, tagged 35.  FWIW I will sell them as they are too small now so if anyone wants a good deal on a pair of like new no longer available (for the most part) OA02's in 35, hit me up.  

OOE Oa02 tagged 35

W: 33"

FR: between 11.75" and 12"

Thigh.  Just a bit more than 12.75"

Hem: 8"

Edited by garden gnomes in space

There's a part of me that wants to believe that if I got a 33, the rest of the fit would fall in line. Then there's the part of me that knows that TCB '50s cut is perfect for me and the 02XX in a 33 is still slimmer and lower rise and would be 1" too big in the waist.

The OA02 cut is actua;;y quite comfortable.  The rise is not low at all and if you size correctly, the upper thigh is nice too.  

Jared and volvo, would of course love to have you both but you're right, the 02 cut is not close to the TCB50's. The thing that did it in for me on the TCB was the difference in rise between the front and back. TCB's sat too evenly on my hips in a way that it would cinch off my stomach anytime I sat down. However, even with a higher rise, the Ooe cut has a larger difference in front and back rise in such a way that it sits comfortably on the waist, and doesn't cut into you when you sit down. Of course, comfort is incredibly personal and it's hard to tell unless you try it on but I will say that the difference in rise coupled with the comfort/softness of Ooe fabric equates to the perfect fit for me, especially on waist.

tigerstrom, here are my 9102XX after 40-50+ washes? Size 34:

Waist: 16" (x 2 for 32" exact)

Front Rise: 11.25"

Back Rise: 14"

Upper Thigh: 12.5"

Knee: 8.1

Leg Opening: 7.5"

Inseam: 28.5" (Can't remember what they started with)

All said and done, it's about .25" smaller than the Ooe charts here and there (thigh, rise)  but the 91 denim shrinks the most out of everything I've owned. Not much variation in the long run though from the measurements they provided!

EDIT: chart for reference: http://ooeyofukuten.ocnk.net/product/15

Edited by aho

Thank you aho! I'm not sure which size to get. Maybe 35 is a safer bet. I want them to end up around 33-33.5 after wash and stretch. The 02's seams a little bit slimmer than both my evisu 2000 no.1 (size 34) and my tcb 505 (size 32).

Thanks for the measurements, peeps. Tremendous help visualizing the cut.

Since we're dealing w/ a lefty, w/c from personal [limited] experience [ie, @round same weight], tend to shrink less + stretch more__ I'd consider shrink-stretch ratio as a factor for sizing. If #17 exhibits the same behavior, TTS might be a possibility ... or @least a SU1, instead of 2.

Edited by BrownMetallic

For anyone on the fence the 02 cut is one of my absolute favorites.

Sized correctly the rise is pretty ideal for me, seeing as I don't like lower rise jeans.

Like aho said, the front and back rises are offset a bit so if you have a little of a belly this is very nice!

The thigh and taper is pretty gradual and not very dramatic which is also flattering.

Wearing my OA02XX's today and reminds me why I entered them into the DWC, the cut is just perfect for me I think.

ALB, I measured BiG style!

Head's up that I updated the opening post with more details. Primarily two things:

-S&S will be setting up a custom product via PayPal for us to purchase our pairs (aiming for this weekend, I'll update the thread once ready); We'll include our size and desired inseam after washing, as well as if a lowered value is needed for customs

-International price is now $330 SHIPPED via DHL Overnight.

Thanks again everyone, love how this is shaping up!

ironheartfan123, here are my sizes in various jeans:

Ooe:  36 (perfect)

Samurai:  35 in 710, 500, and 510 (could get away with 34 in all)

Warehouse:  34 in 800 (fits well, a bit loose after wear)

Fullcount:  34 in 1101 and 0105 (could get away with 33), 36 in 1108 (due to thigh measurements)

Edited by JohnM

I'm in exactly same boat as you ironheartfan123! I'm choosing between 34 and 35! I'm leaning towards 34 but I'm afraid that they will continue to shrink. Thigh, rise and hem is better on size 35 but I'm afraid the waist is slightly too big. I'm also size 32 in most other brands like tcb and samurai. My evisus (shrink from tag) is size 34.

Edited by tigerstrom