How do any of you afford this?

doublementh

Nobody does style like SuperFuture, but so much of this stuff is so damn expensive. What do you do for a living? On the side? I'm curious.

Unless you want to keep that to yourself so that lowly plebs like yours truly can't figure out how and you can keep lovely pieces all to yourselves.

love you all anyway

like any subculture or expensive hobby, it's a mixture of 'older' dudes with higher paying jobs and more disposable income, younger dudes working in lower paying jobs and being stupidly irresponsible with their money, teenagers with rich parents and/or trust funds + people increasingly buying used as opposed to new. at the age of 28 i have regressed to my 16yr old self and pretty much solely wear plain tees and vans these days...over time i have straight up lost interest, but still appreciate a garment that is well-made even though i usually don't want to drop an entire weeks salary on it anymore.

Grailed, eBay, end of season sales, industry connections. It helps that I organize my wardrobe around basics, layering, and a consistent palette of blacks, greys, and earth tones. It's maybe a bit boring but I feel good about myself wearing nice things that last and supporting local designers and manufacturers (however indirectly), and don't mind falling into wearing the same 'uniform' for stretches of time here and there.

I have less nicer things. I own about 5 shirts, 3 jackets, 5 pants, 2 jeans.

I like and appreciate quality fashion so I put down tons of cash, but have a small quantity of clothing.

I also have a decent job and I don't have kids so

I can't do the whole plain vans + Tees kinda thing as of mentioned, I like to express myself without being too loud or boring.

Edited by polkunus

I used to be really into video games. I still like them, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to. I became more interested in clothes and music... I sure hope that if I fade from this hobby, something'll be there to replace it. I looked at a buncha SLP shit that I wanna buy, and my "realistic" wardrobe comes in just under ten grand, including tax. Yikes. No way can I afford anywhere near that. I like AllSaints a lot, but that gets a lot of hate in a lotta places. Ah well.

I'm determined to get a nice investment piece, though. Somehow. I wonder what places do Black Friday/Cyber Monday with nice stuff. I remember the woman at SLP when I stepped inside was giving me the eye... the eye that felt like she was going to murder me. FASHUN

I used to be really into video games. I still like them, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to. I became more interested in clothes and music... I sure hope that if I fade from this hobby, something'll be there to replace it. I looked at a buncha SLP shit that I wanna buy, and my "realistic" wardrobe comes in just under ten grand, including tax. Yikes. No way can I afford anywhere near that. I like AllSaints a lot, but that gets a lot of hate in a lotta places. Ah well.

I'm determined to get a nice investment piece, though. Somehow. I wonder what places do Black Friday/Cyber Monday with nice stuff. I remember the woman at SLP when I stepped inside was giving me the eye... the eye that felt like she was going to murder me. FASHUN

Fuck off with whatever anybody else likes. You do you. Wear what you want and feel good about it. :)

when u r a kewl gai lyke ss, all tha designers/labels give/send u free shit cuz they wan me b their muse & open up their runway and influence  tha markets start trendz

Edited by SSchadenfreude

• 2 weeks later...

I'm careful with my money but love a good impulse buy on occasion. My philosophy is based on patience. Do your homework and figure out what you like, then don't settle. Always better to wait than buy something because the money's burning a hole in your pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy pieces that hold value like many members do here, rotating them out of your wardrobe and replacing with higher cost or similarly cost items keeps maintenance costs lower. 

For example, if you buy a valuable SLP piece for $2000 maybe you can resell for close to retail, whereas if you buy uniqlo, h&m, jcrew you are literally pissing your money away.

Edited by Fycus

If you buy pieces that hold value like many members do here, rotating them out of your wardrobe and replacing with higher cost or similarly cost items keeps maintenance costs lower. 

For example, if you buy a valuable SLP piece for $2000 maybe you can resell for close to retail, whereas if you buy uniqlo, h&m, jcrew you are literally pissing your money away.

I think you're being way overkill saying "literally [sic] pissing money away" by buying uniqlo/h&m/jcrew (I do not condone buying H&M, however). They are not meant to be investment pieces, they are made to be worn, then recycled or whatever when they wear out. I don't think people need to be painting fences in Lanvin, Rick, or whatever 2000 dollar stuff.

For a long time I wondered how ghetto drug addicts could afford their drugs. Then I started buying nice clothes, and became an addict myself. The funny thing is that one starts buying $500 jeans for $150, and it's hard to stop. Pretty soon, I've spent $500, which is still $500 (i.e. a lot of money), regardless of what it actually paid for.

For a long time I wondered how ghetto drug addicts could afford their drugs. Then I started buying nice clothes, and became an addict myself. The funny thing is that one starts buying $500 jeans for $150, and it's hard to stop. Pretty soon, I've spent $500, which is still $500 (i.e. a lot of money), regardless of what it actually paid for.

I thought clothes were bad but my bike component buying got really out of hand this last year.  Something something resale value something useful but I wish bike stuff was as cheap as some of this lanvin crap

I thought clothes were bad but my bike component buying got really out of hand this last year.  Something something resale value something useful but I wish bike stuff was as cheap as some of this lanvin crap

Haha I totally get you. I used to be really into bikes, before I injured one of my wrists. I was a serious weight weenie (carbon fibre seat clamp serious) and I remember that in my final year I spent thousands building a bike I never even got to ride! I then sold that bike for something idiotic like half price.