How Much Was Your Outfit Today?

poly800rock

I don't think it is stupid and the amount you spend on quality does not make you materialistic...I just think talking prices in general is poor form. To ask how much was "that" is alittle different as it is an inquiry, but just all out "how much did you pay for what you are wearing today" is on par with...how much do you make. It just is poor form. My opinion only and probably does not count for much, it is just the way I was brought up. No hate, I swear no hate intended.

I don't think it is stupid and the amount you spend on quality does not make you materialistic...I just think talking prices in general is poor form. To ask how much was "that" is alittle different as it is an inquiry, but just all out "how much did you pay for what you are wearing today" is on par with...how much do you make. It just is poor form. My opinion only and probably does not count for much, it is just the way I was brought up. No hate, I swear no hate intended.

i can understand that too...

Nice fit = 95% how much it cost + cloth & cut.

yeah... thats true. my best is when i pay the least. i dont think i have an outfit that i could put together that cost me more than 100$(until i get my sammies). thats why i enjoy this thread. it makes me laugh to see the amounts people spend.

Guest Fade to Black

it's all about swagger...which is why even pictures i don't think necessarily get across a good idea of how someone's style is, you gotta see them in motion, down to every last mannerism, tic and detail. It's all about the movement, stride, clothes are just icing on the cake and another way of expressing your personality.

I don't think clothes should overshadow a man's whole persona either, thus i agree with what coldrice posted two posts above me. You either got it or you don't - no amount of expensive gear could cover up a dull person.

i disagree, so would cmf. i'm a bargain hunter too- before I made enough money to afford expensive stuff (still i buy this stuff at a huge discount), i still had style. if you *have* to pay a lot of money to look good you're missing something
it's all about swagger...which is why even pictures i don't think necessarily get across a good idea of how someone's style is, you gotta see them in motion, down to every last mannerism, tic and detail. It's all about the movement, stride, clothes are just icing on the cake and another way of expressing your personality.

I don't think clothes should overshadow a man's whole persona either, thus i agree with what coldrice posted two posts above me. You either got it or you don't - no amount of expensive gear could cover up a dull person.

cosign

and

cosign

Duluth Trading firehose jeans $22 on sale

Lands end pink polo, $15 on sale

Sperry canvas slip ons. $30 on sale

Cheap and preppy for $67

I like the thread, for all the hype that's on the board about high end designer shit it's actually refreshing to see that a lot of the posters thrift a bit and put together pretty simple outfits day to day. It's a snapshot of real life instead of constant hype, more so than even the WAYWT thread.

yeah... thats true. my best is when i pay the least. i dont think i have an outfit that i could put together that cost me more than 100$(until i get my sammies). thats why i enjoy this thread. it makes me laugh to see the amounts people spend.

But see, i dont really think thats a fair assesment. You live in Florida and wear just a shirt, jeans, and shoes everyday, what about those people that live in cooler climates? Jackets, sweaters, and the like can really add up. But i do see your point when people are spending 150 on a wallet, 300 on some shades, or 250 on some lame Nixon watch. Thats stupid spending in my opinion.

If i were to exchange my PBJ's for the Helmut Langs or Edwins laying on my floor i could easily keep it under a 100 everyday with just t-shirts and some shoes, hell even with most of my sweaters i could keep it under a 100.

Im not sure the good thats really come from this thread.

i disagree, so would cmf. i'm a bargain hunter too- before I made enough money to afford expensive stuff (still i buy this stuff at a huge discount), i still had style. if you *have* to pay a lot of money to look good you're missing something

gotta agree with coldrice and Fade here. I looked good back when I was buying and wearing shit clothing from the mall, because I was confident and sure of myself (and because I made sure what I wore fit me at least relatively well!). I still look good now, but now I buy the clothes I always wanted to buy but never knew where to get. Clothing and fashion are a hobby for me, not a means to a "look at how cool I am" end.

In addition, if this devolves into a "god, you're all so materialistic" flamewar and/or my-priorities-and-dick-are-better-than-yours-because-my-clothes-are-cheaper kind of deal, I'm locking this shit.

I haven't read this whole thread, but a couple of comments:

A lot more people add their socks into the equation than their underwear (or maybe a lot of you go commando?)

You all are good at remembering what you paid for things! I had to look up the cost of my shirt, and I'm too lazy to dig up what I actually paid for my jeans, just guessing.

Anyway;

AA thermal $20

T-shirt - gift - $0

RL boxer briefs, on sale, don't remember exactly; say $10

Eternal 811 from Juno, I think $240 including fees and shipping

Huf socks $8

Vans Old Skool, approx. $45

total $323

When I put on the $340 Nice Collective jacket and $200 Persols and leave the house it will jump to $863.

ok. i'll do a real one, by request. i posted this in waywt.

what i paid (retail)

junya watanabe goretex herringbone jacket $299 ($1300)

vintage western shirt $1 (?)

45rpm jomon $300 ($750)

helmut lang shoes $29 (~$250)

$629 ($2300)

The part I was going to respond to disappeared... ;)

I'll just say that JW jacket is awesome.

i don't wanna be an asshole because i started this thread, but the reason i started it was because i was curious about how much people spend on clothes. for anyone to be up in arms about how stupid this thread is because it shows how "materialistic" other people are is stupid, because, look, you're on a fucking fashion message board.

When this thread started up I almost posted up, but then i thought how vulgar the act of totting up what I spend on clothes is. That said I have found it so interesting to check every now and again how much people spend on clothes, some people obviously have lots of cash to spend. And pretty much everyone spends more than they NEED to on clothes, I know i do.

As other people have said, style and how much one spends do in no way correlate. However I do think that quality and price do roughly correlate ( im thinking of shoes, jeans, coats, suits etc..). People should recognise that just because someone appreciates quality and wishes to invest in quality does not warrant crys of "capitalist pig". Hell, its a fashion (!) message board, on the internet.

I know I look better nowadays being a vain captialism whore.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now.http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/images/icons/icon7.gif

170€ LVC 501 33

110€ Addict Hoodie

20€ Hugo Boss t-shirt

20€ Hugo Boss boxer

5€ Nike socks

150€ Nike sneakers

15€ Carhartt belt

150€ Freshjive jacket

200€ Armani shades

840€

Europe is expensive...

$my soul

I'll give you $20 shipped for that.

Today, lazy Sunday, woke up at 4:30.

APC = $200 (but really worth $120, god damn import taxes)

APC pocket tee = $80

threw on some Issey Miyake flip flops to run to the shop = $80

yet another pair of 75 cent Tsim Sha Tsui specials for undies

=$360.75

Guest Fade to Black

Philippe Starck for Alain Mikli sunglasses - $300

Y's Black 2-button wool gabardine blazer - $700

Y's white button down shirt - $200

Muji white t-shirt - $20

Urban outfitters black belt - $20

Dior Homme washed brut denims - $295

Black suede converse hi-tops - $40

~$1580

But, Viv, Is there really such a thing as "people spending more than they NEED to spend"?? When I finally started to work and make money, I finally started to buy the things that I wanted instead of just shopping the Gap/Banana standards...as my spending skyrocketed into ridiculous figures I started justifying it like MANY here and other fashioin forums do by saying how the higher prices are justified by the higher quality...about how they will last longer...etc. I've come full circle and realize there is no point in deluding myself. Fashion is such a tricky concept and I dare say it's the in the same field of thought as to why little Johnny's finger painting on the wall is worth crap and a whole lotta headache for his mother, while a Jackson Pollack painting full of paint splotches is worth millions. At the end of the day, it's about aesthetics and what is pleasing to you and therefore what it's worth to YOU. How does anyone come up with a number for how much one NEEDS to spend on something? Curious, where do you set your limit? For example, how much do you think a pair of jeans is worth? and more importantly how did you come up with that number? No matter what you say about how one has to take into account the material, the manufacturing, the tailoring etc, I doubt you will convince me that something has a definitive set worth. I'll give you a personal example. I was at Saks the other day and stumbled on a pair of outrageously gaudy, gay, and loud pair of jeans from Dsquared. My friend said they were "hideous"....but guess what? I was lovin them!!! :-) Price? almost $700. True, they happened to be selvage with leather lining in the stitching on the back, but gimme a break, no amount of detailing would justify that price. I mention this example cuz I know Dsquared gets a lot of hatred on this and many boards ("I dont get it, it's just overpriced Abercrombie...it's so blah...it's so overhyped...etc...") Still despite all the negatives, there I was standing there drooling over them. I liked how they looked, I liked how they felt. I realized right then and there that there would be no lying to myself, no justification, no internal argument of the pros and cons because it would be such a pointless argument...if I were to buy them, it would be for one reason and one reason only...I WANTED them...And that's that...end of discussion. I dont care about what others would think of me, I don't care about how long they would last. I just wanted them. :-)

So I write all this to put this thread into perspective -- no matter how well made an item of clothing is, there is no "justified" price on it. It is equally wrong to for Sally to say to Jenny that she is wrong for spending $1000 on a tshirt as it is for Jenny to say her $1000 tshirt is better than Sally's $10 one. So to the potential troublemakers: let the folks post how much they paid for their outfit, I find it interesting. If you have a problem with them spending so much on an item and posting it, that's your problem...if they think they are better or have better clothing because they spent that much, that's their problem.

And no I did not end up buying that pair of jeans, they didn't have my size...:-)

I say spend on what you want but live within your means. If you work hard for your money, are paying your bills, have food on the table, and have no debt, then by all means spend what you can spend, granted its within reason. Living comfortably has a lot of to do with a certain mindset and I think once you get to certain point in your life, you realize your purchasing choices are a reflection of your own emotional state/what brings you satisfaction. I think a bad(good?) example of this is the Taiwanese guy on the post your denim collection who had 100+ pairs of Real McCoy jeans. WTF? I mean, come on, what do you do with 100+ pair of jeans? That's a serious case of addition where no amount of money spent and items bought will bring any emotional satisfaction, especially since his finances weren't in check. I spend a lot on clothes, but its partly because I love trying new styles and ideas. At the same time, I have no debt, am saving and investing, and doing things to increase my assets.

Anyways, today its:

Costume National Suit ($820 through Yoox)

Zegna dress shirt - ($120)

Zegna Oxfords - $625

Burberry belt - ($120)

Paul Smith tie - (free)

Approx $1,685