Warehouse World Tour - The magnificent bunch

Bobbo

Great updates Lendo!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

latest tracking status on the jeans: "in transit". it can take up to two weeks from the us to jakarta, so still within reason. will call pos indonesia in a couple of days if there's no change in status by then. i'll keep you guys updated.

hey man sorry about this, haven't been able to get in contact with ems indonesia or customs, so will try the post office asap. weird as this has never happened before. latest status on the package is still in transit (if checked on usps site). the tracking number "doesn't exist" if checked on ems indo site. sometimes a package does take a while to clear customs but usually it shows up on the tracking site. will update you guys asap. 

not getting any luck with tracking (had now disappeared completely from the usps tracking site) and could not get thru by phone to any of the indo customs or post office customer services, there was nothing left to do but visit the big post office in jakarta. 

26047063860_b7d44cbae2_o.jpg

hahaha just kiddin. the reality was somehow... worse.

after getting no luck either with the ems counter, i was directed to the "overseas packages counter".

25712531704_17e89c141a_c.jpg

whaaa?

26044522860_c7ea52f5a0_c.jpg

"keep this door always locked" 

got myself outside. could the jawnz be in one of these trucks?

26291438646_f3300aa9f8_c.jpg

or... :'( :'( :'(

26224983012_98742212d9_c.jpg

finally found the overseas packages counter.

26317394585_491333f1d1_c.jpg

but it wasn't there either. they told me pos indonesia can not track packages sent from the us on usps first class mail (with tracking number LJxxxUS) and i had to go to their warehouse (ha!) to try to find the package manually.

fuck.

25712528484_e74e777e05_c.jpg

an officer told me to look for my name in a list of packages received in the last month.  :wacko:

25712533624_001c97608b_c.jpg

Edited by oomslokop

Glad they had been found, Ooms!

Happy to donate to cover the unexpected expenses - just let me know...

And now, let the show continue!

they worked it out from the value declared which was $100. it doesn't matter to them who sent the item, or what it is (second hand/new), it is regarded as an imported item which incurs customs fees. 

Edited by oomslokop

hahah, very entertaining post Ooms—though I feel a bit guilty laughing at the shit you had to go through to get those jeans. (plus, with the customs fees, I am literally laughing at your expense...)

But I'm glad to see you've got the jeans in, and they look like they fit you well!

I wonder what the postal workers thought you were doing taking pictures all around the facility? Maybe gathering evidence for some sort of smear campaign against the postal service in the event your jeans were truly lost?

hahaha no worries. people take photos everywhere with their mobile phones here so none of them batted an eyelid. maybe they were more worried why i wasn't taking any selfie. ðŸ˜

this has been so far a very entertaining tour to follow and I am certain that Ooms will keep it up at the great standards set by the previous players! like how the jeans fit you too mate!

wish I was some 25 kilos less and could join the tour, fabric and fit on these seem to be something I would totally enjoy myself.

I've looked at shipping internationally recently, figure over $50 to ship a pair of jeans USPS Priotity Mail to the other side of the planet.

Glad to see these have been found and the tour is back on.

no worries lendo, part and parcel (pun intended) of living here, these unpredictabilities! hehehe.

had to pick up my daughter's school report very early in the morning yesterday (7.30 a.m.), i thought i'd show you what i see everyday on the little back alleys (we call it "jalan tikus", rat streets) of central jakarta, the shortcut to her school.

26299451806_c2264d9263_c.jpg

a cart for selling coconut juice, freshly machete-ed out of its fruits. too early for thirst quencher, i guess.

26323797615_57365d9406_c.jpg

but not too early for breakfast! "warteg" = warung tegal = foodstall from tegal (a region in central java). migrants from tegal are renowned for these tiny stalls selling cheap and tasty rice dishes. a lot of them are open 24 hours, like this one.

26259169371_2447824039_c.jpg

people put up makeshift signs on the road to announce an event. this one, made out of coconut leaves, announced a circumcision ceremony for okan and akbar. my sympathy, boys!

26050922510_9efa92068b_c.jpg

a yellow flag announces that somebody had died, and streets might be closed for the wake.

26297433656_27acc1ec83_c.jpg

a flag for the "freedom brigade", the local group of thugs who rule this area. these flags are everywhere in jakarta as street thugs, we call them "preman" (from "free-man"), use them for territorial pissings.

26299434316_531aa947ba_c.jpg

a makeshift gate erected to celebrate indonesia's independence on 17 august. this one is from last year, when the republic of indonesia turned 70. people usually leave it until next year before redecorating it again. 

26232983472_2f76100964_c.jpg

"born and bred in kampung bali". kampung bali = bali village is so named because it used to house soldiers and slaves from bali during dutch colonial era. some historians argue that there is no "native jakartans", there were so few native sundanese population in the area when the dutch first came in that they had to import soldiers, slaves, and obviously women! from other places in the archipelago as well as from other dutch colonies around the world. there are many similar kampungs in jakarta: kampung ambon (for ambonese), kampung melayu (for the malays), kampung banda (for people from banda, the original spice islands), etc. there's even another kampung bali in central jakarta, not too far from this one. 

this kampung bali used to be a famous drug-dealing/junkie area until the end of the 2000s. now, like a lot of junkie strongholds all over the world, it's almost totally gentrified. high-rise flats and "kos" (bedsits, from the dutch "in de kost") have moved in, along with all their all mod cons accoutrements (fancier restaurants, laundry services, etc.).