ecsong187

W. H. Ranch Dungarees

1 hour ago, ShootThePier said:

A lot of us denim freaks are looking for exactly that, style and construction of our parents and grandparents.

I’ll stick with Roy, Ooe, and other reputable American and Japanese makers who are putting out better product. And when you give them money you know you’re actually going to receive the product you paid for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

His work is great. The 4-5 year wait not so much. 

Hard to not get upset when you’ve been waiting that long and he’s pumping out new product. Always paid in full up front. 

I’d kinda get it if you were only expected to lay down 100 bucks up front or something. But that’s not the case. I just feel like the whole thing gives the one man brand idea a bad wrap. Hell, Amos at Grease Point Workwear is faster than this fraud and he spent the whole summer working on an orchard.

2 hours ago, Broark said:

I’ll stick with Roy, Ooe, and other reputable American and Japanese makers who are putting out better product. And when you give them money you know you’re actually going to receive the product you paid for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you like the piece, and you get a time guarantee you are happy with, his quality is great.

I don’t own any Ooe or Roy, so I can’t compare, but I have with both purchases been pleasantly surprised by the fit and finish.

The problem is not the wait. The problem is paying 100% upfront. This *always* blows up. (Small deposits are OK.)

Yup, exactly what JDelage said above. He asks for money up front with no guarantee you'll ever get what you paid for.
But if I paid 400 bucks for some jeans that I had to wait 5 years for, meanwhile the guy is prioritizing other projects then I would feel conned.
My point is there are other options out there that are just as nice with the guarantee that you'll get your stuff.
I just don't understand why he doesn't cut off orders and clear out his backlog. That's what Ship John does with his Willis jackets and what bespoke shoemakers do.
Probably because the 400 bucks you spent 5 years ago is long gone and he's gotta keep it up somehow.
At the end of the day it's your money, you do what you want with it.

No-one is criticising his clothing.

Everyone is criticising his business principles.

drew k from this very own forum got away with over $100k scot-free under his TOJ label. has this WH dude fleeced even more than that with his "orders" taking 5 or whatever years? wouldn't be surprised if this all turns into TOJ 2.0 if it hasn't already.

edit: i had a very positive experience with TOJ before it all went to shit. nonetheless, drew ripped off an absurd amount of people with pretty much zero real world consequence.

Edited by conqueror

At the end of the day it sucks because his work is great and honestly I haven’t found any other jeans that fit me as well.

I’ll say what other have said. It’s his business model not his craftsmanship that are the issue.  

Here are two of my favorite pairs. Both from 2014 or 2015 

bxMqCo8.jpg

2 hours ago, conqueror said:

drew k from this very own forum got away with over $100k scot-free under his TOJ label. has this WH dude fleeced even more than that with his "orders" taking 5 or whatever years? wouldn't be surprised if this all turns into TOJ 2.0 if it hasn't already.

edit: i had a very positive experience with TOJ before it all went to shit. nonetheless, drew ripped off an absurd amount of people with pretty much zero real world consequence.

Never knew this? I have a TOJ bomber, love it 

17 minutes ago, chambo2008 said:

Never knew this? I have a TOJ bomber, love it 

whew, if you have a couple hours, the TOJ thread on style forum is a fun/frustrating read. TL:DR is basically a large scale version of what WH Ranch is doing. Took a ton a preorders, people knew the wait time was going to be long so most people patiently waited and by the time it was obvious that jackets were not going to be delivered, it was too late. Also a chicken shop in Korea was involved. 

Shitty situation, but I remember that being one of the first stories I followed in the online clothing forum world.

Yeah I remember them and wanted a jacket a while back.  The TOJ thread here was my first exposure to this forum.

Time flys by fast.

Crazy, booking it in for when I have time for a read :o