W. H. Ranch Dungarees

shredwin_206

3 hours ago, mpukas said:

Are you referring to my jeans I'm trying to sell? They are not custom made for me, I bought them at a store. They were from a small run that WHR did just for that store. 

If you're referring to someone hypothetical who had WHR make a custom pair, then I agree, resale on custom made-to-measure anything will be low. 

When I purchased mine, 2013 or 2014, I was asked for measurements. Same story for when I ordered my jacket, all custom measurements to get the best fit.

I was referencing the reason for the overall lower resale, rather than yours specifically. I apologize for lumping yours in.

2 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

If I were you i'd just chuck them up on ebay with a lower BIN and see if anyone bites. You'll take a loss but at least you'd recoup some of your money back.

Why put a low BIN? Just start the auction at $1 and advertise it on IG. 

Thanks for the insight guys. I know myself after trying to move a few denim blunders of my own that the 2nd hand market for used jeans is pretty weak. I just thought the massive wait time for these might negate that. although I did overlook the whole custom made aspect. 

It's been my experience on eBay that a BIN price works better than an auction, as so many people don't follow through with their bids. Starting it at a $1 also runs the risk that you may actually only sell it for a fraction of what you wanted. 

@mpukas Hope you manage to sell your pair and recoup some of your cash.

I'm realizing the 2nd hand denim market has gone soft. I haven't been in this game as long as some folks here, but it wasn't that long ago that I was able to move several different brand's pairs for a decent price. I have IH, TFH, TSG and Tanuki - all quality pairs, brand-new or like-new - that I'm trying move with little interest

I'm only willing to go so low before it's not worth it to me to sell them. I now know I won't get close to what I paid for them, but I'd rather keep them in my meager collection than sell them super cheap. I'm not trying to get rid of them just to get rid of them. 

11 hours ago, mpukas said:

I'm realizing the 2nd hand denim market has gone soft. I haven't been in this game as long as some folks here, but it wasn't that long ago that I was able to move several different brand's pairs for a decent price. I have IH, TFH, TSG and Tanuki - all quality pairs, brand-new or like-new - that I'm trying move with little interest

I'm only willing to go so low before it's not worth it to me to sell them. I now know I won't get close to what I paid for them, but I'd rather keep them in my meager collection than sell them super cheap. I'm not trying to get rid of them just to get rid of them. 

My take is that getting something for your jeans is better than nothing, even if it's only 50% of what you paid. I know that really sucks but you'll end up staring at those jeans in your closet and want them gone sooner or later. Maybe try a BIN for $300-350 and accept offers slightly below that amount?

12 hours ago, mpukas said:

Your multiple listings alone are probably influencing lower prices. Supply vs. Demand.

I have noticed you buy a lot, then sell them after something new comes along. I purchased a pair of IH634 from you years ago.

Yeah I have bought and sold many pairs over the past few years. Most of the pairs I've sold were due to not fitting. If those 634's you bought from me fit I'd still have them. And yeah I do get excited about new releases. Some models I know I have to have, and some I'm just curious about them due to hype/interest - whether from here or elsewhere. 

But I dont think that because I'm trying to sell 4 pairs ATM that has anything to do with the resale value of each pair. 

11 hours ago, 428CJ said:

FWIW, Ryan sells his own very lightly used (worn just two or three days) pairs on IG for $195.

Good point. I've seen him advertise his own sample/lightly worn pairs for around $200 +/-. I hadn't considered how that alone might affect resale value. 

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

Yeah I have bought and sold many pairs over the past few years. Most of the pairs I've sold were due to not fitting. If those 634's you bought from me fit I'd still have them. And yeah I do get excited about new releases. Some models I know I have to have, and some I'm just curious about them due to hype/interest - whether from here or elsewhere. 

I haven't purchased new jeans in 2 yrs. I kinda did the same thing where I went on a denim buying splurge, and after a couple of costly mistakes I decided to cut my losses. I probably have over a dozen pairs of jeans in my closet and only a fraction of those get worn on a regular basis. I know my measurements pretty well now so feel more comfortable trying new denim....it's just hard for me to justify buying another pair when I have so many unworn pairs collecting dust.

12 hours ago, ecsong187 said:

Yea but they’re usually a 36 or 37 waist. 

My point wasn't that buying this way is a "solution" for those hunting for a pair. The point was simply to point out what the market seems to bear for a used pair of them...right from the source, at that. They usually sell for less from a "private party," so to speak. I remember that pair someone was trying to hock on here, and on Grailed, for some time. I think they finally went for $120 to $140, or something similar. I would have bought them myself at $140, but they had been rinsed or washed too may times for my taste (I PM'd the seller asking about it).

Bottom line, if they are going to move, it's going to be at $200 or less.

I’ve been having a great time reading through all the posts on this topic. Funny coincidence that this popped up today on gear patrol.  I’m sure this type of mainstream advertisement on a hypedriving website won’t help the wait time.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/01/18/w-h-ranch-r1901-ryder-ready-to-wear-jeans/

what's the point of buying his ready to wear anyways? isn't the whole point of his brand that he sews them himself with a single needle? why would you want to buy something with his name on it that was sewn by someone in LA. Seems dumb to me especially given his PR

15 hours ago, FreeCharlesManson said:

what's the point of buying his ready to wear anyways? isn't the whole point of his brand that he sews them himself with a single needle? why would you want to buy something with his name on it that was sewn by someone in LA. Seems dumb to me especially given his PR

No place for that kind of logic on the interwebz good sir.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:14 AM, FreeCharlesManson said:

Dumbness seems to be one of the core elements that are essential to supporting this brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my Steer Ryder's to a fine feller on ebay for two fifty. From either a buyer's or seller's perspective that's prolly as good of a deal as could be expected. The loss really stings since I paid as much as I did due to hype. The 'bay and PP fees make it even worse. I decided to suck up my loss and I'll look for something else to roll it into. 

I was seriously considering pulling them from auction and just keeping them for the collection just before the offer came in, as the selling price was getting so low that it wasn't worth it to me to let them go. But as I'm not into repro stuff, there were enough things about the pair that I didn't like that I prolly would have never worn them much if at all. All in all, they're a great pair of jeans. Unless you're really into repro specific details, they're no better than any other decent pair I have. 

18 hours ago, mpukas said:

I just sold my Steer Ryder's to a fine feller on ebay for two fifty. From either a buyer's or seller's perspective that's prolly as good of a deal as could be expected. The loss really stings since I paid as much as I did due to hype. The 'bay and PP fees make it even worse. I decided to suck up my loss and I'll look for something else to roll it into. 

I was seriously considering pulling them from auction and just keeping them for the collection just before the offer came in, as the selling price was getting so low that it wasn't worth it to me to let them go. But as I'm not into repro stuff, there were enough things about the pair that I didn't like that I prolly would have never worn them much if at all. All in all, they're a great pair of jeans. Unless you're really into repro specific details, they're no better than any other decent pair I have. 

Yep, the eBay & PP fees really suck, but at least you were able to sell them and get some of your money back. It’s hard resisting hyped items too. I’ll splurge on things every once in awhile and then get buyers remorse immediately afterwards. I’ve had to learn to be more discriminating when making purchases 

28 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

...It’s hard resisting hyped items too. I’ll splurge on things every once in awhile and then get buyers remorse immediately afterwards. I’ve had to learn to be more discriminating when making purchases 

+1 to this

37 minutes ago, bod said:

Ebay do final value promos at least once a month, I haven’t paid them more than £1.00 per item in fees for a couple of years now.

How does that work? I'm not aware of it... 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve talked with Black Bear since they’re local to me. 

They said it’s still just like ordering through Ryan. They don’t have any stock on hand. So I would imagine a 3-3.5 year wait. Hahaha