W. H. Ranch Dungarees

shredwin_206

Got my 1901s RTW That Ryan switched out since his demo pair offered via IG were huge.  Very nice construction  and fit

only issue is the shin area is a bit wider than I like and leg opening is at least 9 on a 35.  Larger than spec

This Below knee width makes them a bit out of proportion for the slim top block which I love   

Im going to wear for a while and see if breakin makes them drape a little better before contemplating a very very small taper

The denim is beautiful however  don’t know who makes these for WH but they are certainly in the top tier of manufacturing

fabric is sweet -smooth with a wonderful feel and weight 

i think it’s  12.50 oz Nihon Menpu Left Hand Twill

Edited by kbuzz

So I bumped into someone at a local pizza place in Winston Salem who happens to not only know Ryan personally (even showed his direct number), but explained why everyone's denim is taking so long to get.  Keep in mind, I asked for his permission to post this as he's aware of this forum but hasn't posted and I tried to convince to register and post.  He was a buyer for VF brands such as Lee, etc.  We talked almost an hour about Japanese and American denim as he caught my Sugar Cane denim with his eye.  He did explain how he met Ryan.

As he explained, Ryan is a one man team that takes his time to make the denim.  He is the only one making the denim.  His wife does the business side of things  He's managing his business, family, and other things,  

He doesn't like releasing denim if it isn't up to his satisfaction.  He's in the same realm with Roy regarding quality vs quantity.

Everyone will get their denim.  He is the only one making the denim though.

Again, this is all what we talked about as I'm hoping he registers here and posts as he knows his stuff when it comes to denim.  

What a small world!  Glad I stopped by Winston for some food.

Edited by mlwdp

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 1:23 AM, mlwdp said:

He doesn't like releasing denim if it isn't up to his satisfaction.  He's in the same realm with Roy regarding quality vs quantity.

in terms of how to conduct business he's clearly not in the same league as Roy!
just saying...

On 9/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, mlwdp said:

As he explained, Ryan is a one man team that takes his time to make the denim.  He is the only one making the denim.  His wife does the business side of things  He's managing his business, family, and other things,  

Everyone will get their denim.  He is the only one making the denim though.

This is all known already. It won't change the attitudes of anyone who has the angry/upset outlook this situation.

I went in to it knowing what to expect. He is obviously a skilled tailor, but also obviously somebody who just sort of does it as a side deal at his leisure. As such, I expect a surprise to show up in the mail some unknown number of years down the road.

I asked him for a real-world estimate up front. He gave a roundabout, non-committal answer. I knew right then what I was dealing with. I still ordered the jeans. I'm in no rush. My taste will not change.

My only anxiety is whether or not he actually ordered the denim stock he said he would, when he said he would (which is as soon as I pre-paid him). If the denim we agreed on should be unavailable when he finally gets to building the jeans, I will gladly cancel the order. We hashed out a lot of things in a very detailed manner, and if the agreed upon criteria are not met, that's when I would get upset. But as for timeline? I knew all about it going in, and decided I can throw down $400 in exchange for nothing right now...in order to get exactly the pair of jeans I've always wanted at some undisclosed point in the future.

3 hours ago, 428CJ said:

This is all known already. It won't change the attitudes of anyone who has the angry/upset outlook this situation.

I went in to it knowing what to expect. He is obviously a skilled tailor, but also obviously somebody who just sort of does it as a side deal at his leisure. As such, I expect a surprise to show up in the mail some unknown number of years down the road.

I asked him for a real-world estimate up front. He gave a roundabout, non-committal answer. I knew right then what I was dealing with. I still ordered the jeans. I'm in no rush. My taste will not change.

My only anxiety is whether or not he actually ordered the denim stock he said he would, when he said he would (which is as soon as I pre-paid him). If the denim we agreed on should be unavailable when he finally gets to building the jeans, I will gladly cancel the order. We hashed out a lot of things in a very detailed manner, and if the agreed upon criteria are not met, that's when I would get upset. But as for timeline? I knew all about it going in, and decided I can throw down $400 in exchange for nothing right now...in order to get exactly the pair of jeans I've always wanted at some undisclosed point in the future.

Not to be morbid, but what happens if you, or he, is in an accident? Will his family know to refund you, your family to ask for a refund? Do you have it in writing?

With wait times over a year, 100% payment upfront is not a realistic way of doing business. 

He is only one man, and the product was promised to made solely by him.

At the current wait time, with taking more orders, and more “rush” orders, the variables trend to not receiving an order.

Can you imagine how much space over two years of back stocked orders must take up?

I’m sure he has the best of intentions, but there are many variables out of his control. Knowing that, taking more orders and more money is an irresponsible way of doing business. Listen to the podcast posted here, higher prices have not curbed demand. Every order digs a deeper hole.

What happens if ten orders want a refund, $5000ish dollars, is he not spending your money until your order is satisfactorily fulfilled?

On 10/23/2018 at 8:29 PM, mlwdp said:

Has anybody tried setting up a professional visit with him to see how he runs and creates his denim?  

I actually did back in 2014 when I was still working in the denim business. Sent him material that he said he would use for the Denim Bruin meet up that year. Only thing I was curious to see was the final product and maybe a little bit of his process. As soon as he received the denim all communication stopped. Sent a few emails over the course of 6 months and never heard back. Was comtemplating at the time if I wanted to order a pair from him, but got a feeling for how he handled his company and never did. Judging from this thread I made the right decision haha.

Probably very telling that there is little to no coverage of his set-up and workshop...

I bet the communication with his VIP customers goes differently.

Edited by Foxy2

6 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

Probably very telling that there is little to no coverage of his set-up and workshop...

I bet the communication with his VIP customers goes differently.

Local customers probably get treated differently as well since they live near him and can see him regularly.  

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Local customers probably get treated differently as well since they live near him and can see him regularly.  

Because they can find him in person haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea I never paid much attention inside they are kind of twisted up not completely flat

not sure what caused it. 

No worries. I like it. It’s all character and wabi sabi. Plus I work construction so I’m hard on my jeans. They get washed every 1-2 weeks.