W. H. Ranch Dungarees

shredwin_206

I didn't have to wait... 

I had to go to Boulder yesterday. I planned to go to Canoe Club to check out Truman boots. I really knew nothing about the store, it's relatively new and I hadn't looked them. I walked in and was blown away by the brands and pieces they stock (I walked in and right there in front of me was that awesome Kapital denim jacket that @cuckoo has - the blue one, tho). Timothy, one of the partners and really nice, great guy, was there and spent a lot of time talking with me about brands, etc. I was trying on some Rail Car Journeyman and Spikes (the Journeyman is CC's best selling jean, and it's a GREAT cut. He didn't have my size, which would be 33. Some of the stories he told me about how Steven got his start are amazing/awesome, and I have a whole new respect for RCFG), and I casually asked if he (Timothy) knows WHR. He oh yeah we have them. WHAT!!!??? Ryan made them several pairs of the 1960 Steer Rider Nihon Menpu LHT about 6 months ago, and they've sold most of them. They had 4 pairs left, now three. I got the 34, and they have (1) 35 and (2) 36's left. Available on CC's website as of right now. 

READY... SET... GO!!! 

How's the fit mpukas? I'm generally a 33/34 in most jeans, canoe says to size up 2, what do you think of that advice?

Also looking at getting the wool overshirt in L, 24 chest seems pretty big but as an overshirt might work well considering I take 44 in many shirts.

I went TTS with a 34 in the 1960 Steer Rider. Timothy @ CC told me they run two sizes smaller. I tried on a 35 first, and both of us were very MEH, that's not a good cut for me. It was pretty baggy and unflattering, and the jeans are hemmed long, so I had sloppy double rolled cuffs. At that point I had written them off for me. Then I decided since I was there and he had a 34, I should try that pair on. It was totally different and both of were rather surprised at how much better the smaller size fit me. The waist runs a little smaller because they're a mid-to-high rise cut and the waist is supposed to sit above the hips. Personally, I think it's a little misleading to say they run 2 sizes small. 

This denim feels like with a little bit of wear that it'll stretch some, but not a ton. I haven't washed them yet to see how much if any they'll shrink and get any residual starch out. I think this denim is stellar, and I was very enamored and intrigued with it while I was hanging out at the desk. Great dark color, streakiness, with just enough irregularity to not be off-putting. 

Overall , the jeans are very, very nice. Superbly made, cut is rather good on me I think. BUT, the one thing that I can't get down with is how widely spaced the back pockets are. They're made to emulate Lee rider's jeans, so that when you have s wallet in your back pocket and rider your horse you wallets isn't right under your ass bone. Functional in certain conditions, but odd looking to me. I LOVE the pocket spade shape and arcuate, but I would prefer they were "normally" spaced. Makes me look like Mr. Wide Glide, LOL. From the back they look like a very different pair than from the front. 

Regardless, my return period has expired, and they're mine now... 

measurements in inches, raw, unhemmed, size 34. The denim is sanforized, but unwashed; 

waist: 32.5" 

Front rise: 12.25" 

Back rise: 15.5" 

Thigh @ crotch: 13.125" 

Thigh @ crotch 2" down: 12.375" 

Knee @ 14" down: 9.25"

Hem: 8.75" 

inseam: 35.25" 

20170910_125856.jpg

20170910_125906.jpg

20170910_125946.jpg

20170910_130045.jpg

20170910_130207.jpg

20170910_130109.jpg

20 hours ago, mpukas said:

I went TTS with a 34 in the 1960 Steer Rider. Timothy @ CC told me they run two sizes smaller. I tried on a 35 first, and both of us were very MEH, that's not a good cut for me. It was pretty baggy and unflattering, and the jeans are hemmed long, so I had sloppy double rolled cuffs. At that point I had written them off for me. Then I decided since I was there and he had a 34, I should try that pair on. It was totally different and both of were rather surprised at how much better the smaller size fit me. The waist runs a little smaller because they're a mid-to-high rise cut and the waist is supposed to sit above the hips. Personally, I think it's a little misleading to say they run 2 sizes small. 

This denim feels like with a little bit of wear that it'll stretch some, but not a ton. I haven't washed them yet to see how much if any they'll shrink and get any residual starch out. I think this denim is stellar, and I was very enamored and intrigued with it while I was hanging out at the desk. Great dark color, streakiness, with just enough irregularity to not be off-putting. 

Overall , the jeans are very, very nice. Superbly made, cut is rather good on me I think. BUT, the one thing that I can't get down with is how widely spaced the back pockets are. They're made to emulate Lee rider's jeans, so that when you have s wallet in your back pocket and rider your horse you wallets isn't right under your ass bone. Functional in certain conditions, but odd looking to me. I LOVE the pocket spade shape and arcuate, but I would prefer they were "normally" spaced. Makes me look like Mr. Wide Glide, LOL. From the back they look like a very different pair than from the front. 

Regardless, my return period has expired, and they're mine now... 

measurements in inches, raw, unhemmed, size 34. The denim is sanforized, but unwashed; 

waist: 32.5" 

Front rise: 12.25" 

Back rise: 15.5" 

Thigh @ crotch: 13.125" 

Thigh @ crotch 2" down: 12.375" 

Knee @ 14" down: 9.25"

Hem: 8.75" 

inseam: 35.25" 

20170910_125856.jpg

20170910_125906.jpg

20170910_125946.jpg

20170910_130045.jpg

20170910_130207.jpg

20170910_130109.jpg

Great Jeans but I'm definitely with you on those back pockets. Not something I could deal with. It's too bad because they look sharp as hell besides that.

On 7/31/2015 at 7:42 PM, ecsong187 said:

Ryan is rocking the Rodeo Ryder Cut here

Asher%20Good_WH%20Dungarees_0048_zpsqnsu

IMG_5218.jpg?format=1000w

To me, the back pockets on the Rodeo Ryder look a lot better - they're bigger, aligned vertically, and spaced more "normally". 

personally, I think the situation is sufferable.

alternatively, you could investigate what it would take to re-set the pockets - @BrownMetallic has done it..
(It shouldn't be to hard if there are no rivets - hidden or otherwise - involved.)

If you're unsure, then sell them (I think you have a willing buyer) and order the Rodeo Ryder if possible and suffer the wait. Worth it in the long run and better than holding onto a pair that you don't feel comfortable with and possibly won't wear.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, mpukas said:

I sorta felt the same way initially, but I've actually grown to like the placement of the pockets, so much so that I'm almost irritated when wearing other jeans because of sitting directly on my wallet. 

I should mention that I'm one of those "empty your back pockets to sit down types" so for me it's almost alien to be comfortable with anything in either of my back pockets while sitting...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wore the 1960 Steer Rider's, size 33, for a couple days last weekend. I gave them a hot wash and hang dry, and there was no appreciable shrinkage in this Nihon Menpu denim. The denim is extremely soft and light. For a 13oz denim, it feels much lighter, especially when compared to Levi's 1976 13oz denim. The cut is loose and comfy, and I probably could wear a 33 for a slimmer fit without being tight. 

A HUGE disappointment for me is the belt loops and front pockets. The belt loops are not very tall, and are spaced closed together at the front, and I can barely get my 1.75" belt through the loops, and can't really get the tail end of the belt tucked behind the first loop, and causes the belt and buckle to bunch up at the front. The front pockets are also cut very high and tight, and I can barely get my hand into them with a belt on. AND, the front pocket bags are very very shallow, like designer girl jeans shallow. Nearly useless front pockets overall. The back pockets being spaced wide apart is also odd to get used to, but it's kinda nice not having a wallet right under my ass bones when sitting. 

It's little details like this that make or break a pair of jeans for me, regardless of how good the denim is, how well constructed, the small construction details, etc., are. 

20171007_155128.jpg

You forgot to mention how the back pockets are spread out super far almost on the side of thighs and they're tiny. Can barely fit a bifold in them. My long wallet sticks out like 3"-4" haha

On 14/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, ShootThePier said:

I’m over ten months.

It sucks. Realistically, if the next ten orders pay to be rushed, our wait times can be extended indefinitely.

On 14/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, ecsong187 said:

I'm at 7 or 8 months wait so far

I'm 3 weeks shy of a year's wait. Phtt!

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 at 12:17 PM, karanimal said:

If anyone wants a pair of size 35 r1901 ryders for cheap let me know. 

Purchase them from a shop closing up in Sydney and the thighs just were too small on me and no returns. They’ve had 2-3 wears max 

PM'd good sir.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how much shrinkage I might be able to get out of the R1901 Ryders?

Theres a pair of size 30s available locally and when I tried them on they felt good, but I could tell that if they stretch out at all they will become too loose for the fit I’m after. Ideally I would wear a size 29, but those aren’t available. So I’m wondering if anyone knows if they might shrink a little after a hot soak.

I looked online and I didn’t see any info on shrinkage. The pocket flasher says they are sanforized, but I was hoping maybe I could still get a bit of shrinkage out of them.

What do you guys think? Anyone notice much shrinkage after a soak or a wash?

Thanks!

Do you know what denim lot they're made from? If they're sanforized, they probably won't shrink much at all. WHR's website basically says no discernible shrinkage for sanforized denims. Mine are Nihon Menpu LHT, sanforized, and I got very little shrink, if any,  when I washed them once. 

1 hour ago, SLEEZY said:

Anyone know how much shrinkage I might be able to get out of the R1901 Ryders?

Theres a pair of size 30s available locally and when I tried them on they felt good, but I could tell that if they stretch out at all they will become too loose for the fit I’m after. Ideally I would wear a size 29, but those aren’t available. So I’m wondering if anyone knows if they might shrink a little after a hot soak.

I looked online and I didn’t see any info on shrinkage. The pocket flasher says they are sanforized, but I was hoping maybe I could still get a bit of shrinkage out of them.

What do you guys think? Anyone notice much shrinkage after a soak or a wash?

Thanks!

They'll stretch out, and you probably won't be able to get much shrink out of them. I would wash them hot and tumble dry them hot throughout their life. You can also cinch your belt tighter and tighter as they age. This works better if the pants have seven belt loops. Perhaps you can write Ryan and ask him if he'd be so kind as to sell you two loose belt loops that match, which a local tailor can install for you (if you don't have a sewing machine). Alternately, you can craft your own extra loops (or have a tailor do it for you) using leftover material after hemming. Though the twill will be 90 degrees off from the rest of the jeans, this is not really noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it.

Just picked up these WH Ranch samples from Ryan.  They are exactly my waist size, so I pulled the trigger.

Ryan said they are replicas of the 1948 Lee 101b.  Full leg vintage cowboy cut sewn with his old Singer 201.  Half Selvedge, Horween Patch and comfortable as hell.

After getting them I learned these were sewn from Cone “mystery denim”.  Apparently Cone wound 12 yards of extra white line Selvedge to another style bolt Ryan had purchased.

Pretty cool story in light of Cone heading off into the sunset.  

Full leg definitely taking some time to get used to, but these things are insanely comfortable.  Kind of like a pair of sweatpants.

Nice to have them in the rotation!

D7F398C9-465D-48CF-8477-7B294F108556.jpeg

82D4607C-A4F5-4A12-8737-C7233F442A23.jpeg

1E1BBC33-01EA-4BE3-833C-6DBC407F35C7.jpeg

Edited by oldglory76