W. H. Ranch Dungarees

shredwin_206

Surprised to see that no one has started a topic for WH Ranch Dungarees from Colorado.

A lineage of six generations of professional sewers and pattern makers emerged from the Dust Bowls of Kansas and paved the way for what became known as White Horse Trading Company: one man, one pair at a time, bench-made, using heirloom techniques passed down by the generations gone by, and harkening back to a time when a single garment could be made by one person, from start to finish with a maddening focus on innovation, construction, fit and finish.

The next iteration of that experiment is now here. With a fuller original lineup of bench-made vintage and iconic fits, new back pocket designs, and a wider range of customized options, it is my pleasure to introduce you to W.H. Ranch Dungarees, Buckin’ Good!

Made and sewn all by Ryan himself in Colorado he is a total one man workshop. He cuts the denim, sews it, installs rivets, back patches, brands the patches, etc. Every run he does is usually a limited run as he uses one lot until he runs out then moves on to another lot of denim. At the moment he has an 18oz denim from Kuroki Mills, 12.5oz LHT from Nihon Menpu, and an 11.5oz STF from Cone Mills.

We just had an in store event with Ryan on Saturday. Super friendly guy that definitely knows his stuff. His attention to detail is insane.

-Edwin

11380107_1631943657092052_121813185_n.jp

11410537_466328776869274_4554324_n.jpg

Edited by ecsong187

R1900 Gunslinger Pantaloon

Inspired by the gunslinger's pants of the Old West, this angled pocket design can be incorporated onto any existing W.H. Ranch fit. Slant design with detail stitch. Back pocket rivets optional. Variety is the spice of life.

WHGSF.jpg?format=500w

WHGSB.jpg?format=750w

R1901 Icon Fit

Inspired by the rebels of a bygone era, when men were men, the newest edition to the W.H. Ranch Dungaree collection may be the last pair of jeans you’ll ever need. A true mid-rise dungaree with a relaxed seat, vintage fit thigh and knee, with a straight leg. The flagship W.H. Ranch Dungaree fit.

WHHF.jpg?format=750w

WHHB.jpg?format=750w

R1911 Slim Boot Fit

Inspired by the heritage, rugged individualism and aesthetic of the cowboys on the dusty plains of Kansas, this pair of Dungarees represents the culmination of six generations of professional sewing and pattern-making experience and an uncompromising passion for creating the best pair of jeans to be currently found on the market, and perhaps ever to be made. Slim through the seat, hips and thigh with an ever so slight boot cut. The approach was simple: Design and construct the ultimate pair of blue jeans.

WHF.jpg?format=500w

WHB.jpg?format=750w

R1912 High Ryder

The classic cowboy jean. A slim box, extra high-rise, and a slender leg. This unique combination, rarely seen, creates an elongated and lean profile. Easily fits over boots.

HighRyderF.jpg?format=750w

HighRyderB_EDIT.jpg?format=750w

R1914 Vintage Fit

Inspired by a Bandit running loose on the plains, ready to fight a wild buck, wielding only a camera and a copy of Men’s File, this addition to the W.H. Ranch Dungaree collection features a high rise waist, relaxed seat, hips, fuller thigh and knee with a slight taper to the leg opening. A true, classic five-pocket dungaree finished with the strictest attention to detail and superior single needle construction techniques. A jean for every man.

1914F.jpg?format=500w

1914B_EDIT.jpg?format=750w

R1936 Rodeo Ryder

The newest fit of W.H. Ranch Dungarees was inspired by the Rodeo Riders of the days gone by, traveling town to town, playing for the crowds in their sturdy dungarees. A high-rise with a more generous cut in the thigh and knee. A true 30s era fit.

front1936.jpg?format=500w

IMG_5218.jpg?format=750w

R1936 Rodeo Ryder x DWC Limited Edition

This limited edition pair is a replica of W.H. Ranch's entry into the Denim World Championship Artisan Challenge. It is based off of the R1936 Rodeo Ryder frame with a few more bells and whistles. How about a secret pocket stitch that isn't shown for starters?! Includes a cinch back using antique buckles and is made from a Cone XX Shrink to Fit 11.5oz denim (yes, that XX denim). Bright safety orange stitching, half-lined back pockets and a hand branded DWC original logo pocket tag are among some of the notable variations from the stock Rodeo Ryder. Each pair will be numbered and signed.

IMG_7974.jpeg?format=1500w

IMG_8007.jpeg?format=1500w

IMG_7994.jpeg?format=1500w

Made and sewn all by Ryan himself in Colorado he is a total one man workshop. He cuts the denim, sews it, installs rivets, back patches, brands the patches, etc.

Every run he does is usually a limited run as he uses one lot until he runs out then moves on to another lot of denim.

At the moment he has an 18oz denim from Kuroki Mills, 12.5oz LHT from Nihon Menpu, and an 11.5oz STF from Cone Mills.

-Edwin

I forgot to snap a photo, but he had a piece of denim that was just the front top block of a pair of jeans and it had each type of button you have as an option mounted in the button fly so you could actually see how the buttons would look on the denim. He also had the three diff. types of rivets available on this piece of denim. 

Very very cool and helpful for choosing what you want on your specific pair.

Button wise he had copper, brass, aged brass, vintage ones that are over 100 years old, and one other I can't remember

Rivets were similar copper, brass, aged brass, and ufo style copper ones which were the ones I chose for my pair! haha You could choose exposed or unexposed.

-Edwin

Ed I don't have a photo of the swatches. 

At the event he had the following choices for denim:

18oz Kuroki Mills

12.5oz LHT Nihon Menpu

11.5oz STF Cone Mills Denim

His bench made jeans run $335 for a pair. Also make sure you contact him for how to measure. He has his own way of measuring.

-Edwin

And rather selfishly I was hoping these would stay under the radar.........I have 3 pairs of vintage cut, one icon (doesn't suit me at all) and a pair of the Rodeo on their way. Cost is about $350-$450 depending on the type, lead time is about 10 weeks minimum. Great guy, passionate about what he does and superb workmanship, great design ideas as well. Not sure how he can continue to sell direct if he is going to sell through a US retailer as is rumoured, but guess it would have to end up like a Roy style operation, making them in batches then releasing them through the outlet.

I'm not allowed to give much info, but Ryan has talked to me about a WH Ambassador program for less than ten stores total in the US.

I know that originally he was hoping for 5-6 orders per tour stop on his Buckin Good Tour. 

After our event I talked with him and he said he might have to cancel the rest of the stops because the first stop in NC he got 5 orders and at our event Saturday he got 8 orders for jeans and 2 orders for jackets.

He said he needs to get back home and start making some jeans. haha

-Edwin

Edited by ecsong187