Jump to content
cmboland

Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

Recommended Posts

I have the second Gitman pinup shirt and I get a lot of complements about it. It's a good print for a hot day outdoors. I would never wear the first one though. What is truly in bad taste is how many shirts Gitman Vintage puts out that they describe as "Oriental". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would actually love that second gitman. I work as a director/production manager of a summer chamber music festival, I'd love to wear it for the concerts under a jacket/tie and see what the old geezers would say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I got a weird one for y'all.

is it in bad taste to wear pinup girls on a shirt?  I've noticed this trend on a few Gitman shirts and Japanese brands.  

Exhibit A:

90469F4D-049F-42B3-8D02-8AEA7A5A2D26_zps

88B6BEAA-66E2-4666-B837-E87A1573F28D_zps

 

 

aa13a2123613d62f3fc3a76a737f8971.jpg

reminds me of the shirts Kramer wore on Seinfeld. I'd prefer not being labeled as a hipster doofus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mpukas said:

erm... some fashion-denim nonsense among a bit of common knowledge. Crap like this is how urban myths spread

https://mic.com/articles/178338/from-jean-upkeep-to-finding-the-right-fit-7-of-your-most-pressing-questions-about-denim-answered#.bgfdNfBCW 

I basically do the exact opposite this denim "expert" from renowned denim brands Nike and Joseph Abboud. Size down- I size up or go TTS, never wash- I machine wash and tumble dry often; even with new jeans. 

Edited by nycsurfer530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^I legit thought it was an article from 2007...We have some time travelers in our midst! Seriously though, its hilarious to see all of that "advice" being replicated STILL almost a decade+ later but it helps one get an understanding of where someone is at in their denim fandom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get that last point about folding the jeans & avoiding a wrinkled mess...

I get the other points - I don't agree with most of them, but I can guess where he's coming from. As for the wrinkles it seems odd to put in hours of wear only to be afraid of wrinkles and then to flatten out the honeycombs by folding the jeans? Maybe he is talking about pre-distressed jeans where everything is set in stone and the denim is already pretty sensitive as a consequence...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aho said:

^I legit thought it was an article from 2007...We have some time travelers in our midst! Seriously though, its hilarious to see all of that "advice" being replicated STILL almost a decade+ later but it helps one get an understanding of where someone is at in their denim fandom. 

 

Yeah, I had to scroll back up to see the date after reading the article.

i wonder, have the people who are still giving advice like this ever worn in a pair of jeans? Or are they just repeating what they've heard or read? Two years before washing? If you've got 730 days of wear into a pair of jeans, odds are they're already destroyed. And dry cleaning?! How's that better or safer than soap and water?!

anytime I see or read about someone giving advice like this I think "amateur hour".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

LOL, I've never paid any attention to PRPS but I've had multiple people tell me that dude is a huge jerkass. On top of that the advice is BS

yep. This coming from someone that runs a denim company, which is truly horrifying. He's clearly talking out of his ass. I had to re-read what he said about not washing for 2 yrs. wtf? If you want to look and smell like a homeless man, or if you want to achieve epic fades then by all means, don't wash your jeans for 2 yrs. But for the rest of us on planet Earth, denim isn't endowed with some mystical properties that makes them immune to daily wear and tear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I've noticed this advice is mostly peddled by people affiliated with denim brands closely tied to dominant sectors of the fashion industry, the more I think the entire thing is a marketing ploy. It has all the exotic allure of a cult initiation—a prohibitively expensive piece of clothing that you wear unlike any other piece of clothing you own (deliberately not washing, freezing, counting days of wear etc)—and seems to consistently & effectively make people become obsessed with their jeans. And given that raw denim disintegrates much faster without being washed than it would otherwise, telling people not to wash their jeans probably also leads to these companies getting more sales over the long run.

It's similar to the reason I imagine companies make jeans with scratch-n-sniff selvedge and holographic pink wefts—it's an easy way to sell someone on the idea that they're buying something superior and distinctive while distracting them from the fact that they're ultimately going to end up with a pair of expensive and ugly pants—pants that probably don't go far towards 'completing' a wardrobe and thus justify the purchase of more jeans.

Edited by chicote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of over the top jeans, anyone else get the email that OD will no longer stock PBJ due to pricing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I got that email today.  Said something about renegotiating prices and not being available after June 5th.

Edited by mlwdp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep saw that. I guess some people will not be so against this example of retailer pressure on a brand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has any one ordered from NoKipple lately ? Is it atill an active shop ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@redragon done that a few weeks back mate bit mega isnt involved in the shop now 

Sent another email to the shop so hopefully ill get word soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mega is semi retired from all denim related activities B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boo mega boo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Megatron1505 said:

Mega is semi retired from all denim related activities B)

wtf, you're the organiser of the Denim Olympics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said "semi" :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, setterman said:

 

Yeah, I had to scroll back up to see the date after reading the article.

i wonder, have the people who are still giving advice like this ever worn in a pair of jeans? Or are they just repeating what they've heard or read? Two years before washing? If you've got 730 days of wear into a pair of jeans, odds are they're already destroyed. And dry cleaning?! How's that better or safer than soap and water?!

anytime I see or read about someone giving advice like this I think "amateur hour".

i think there definition of two ears of wear is more like two years of owning not 730.5days of wear 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FreeCharlesManson said:

i think there definition of two ears of wear is more like two years of owning not 730.5days of wear 

Probably. But then if that's the case their sage advice isn't very specific. "Two years" could be anywhere from 100 to 730 days. I always roll my eyes when I hear advice to wear X number of days, months, or years before washing, like there's some magical number you have to hit or your selvedge jeans will turned into a pair of 80s stone washed when they hit soap and water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Flash Did you get any response from NoKipple yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't find a dedicated "introduction" thread so I figured I'ill just introduce myself here (mods feel free to move or delete if this is the wrong thread)...

Hello guys,

I've been a lurker for some time and finally decided to sign up, so here goes nothing :-) 28yo guy from Vienna, Austria. I've been a vintage enthusiast since teenage years and got interested in raw denim 2 or 3 years ago starting out with cheaper workwear brands. I'm interested in repro wear and I own items from buzz rickson, warehouse, sugar cane, LVC and TCB. I love the outdoors and anything with 2+ wheels and a motor in between. From what I can tell superdenim has a great crowd of likeminded denim and workwear enthusiasts and I'm happy to be a part of it from now on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like self edge will be doing a collab with this guy... hopefully what they come up with is better than the jeans on the prps website and his suggested care for denim. 

IMG_0866.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Outdoorsman said:

I couldn't find a dedicated "introduction" thread so I figured I'ill just introduce myself here (mods feel free to move or delete if this is the wrong thread)...

Hello guys,

I've been a lurker for some time and finally decided to sign up, so here goes nothing :-) 28yo guy from Vienna, Austria. I've been a vintage enthusiast since teenage years and got interested in raw denim 2 or 3 years ago starting out with cheaper workwear brands. I'm interested in repro wear and I own items from buzz rickson, warehouse, sugar cane, LVC and TCB. I love the outdoors and anything with 2+ wheels and a motor in between. From what I can tell superdenim has a great crowd of likeminded denim and workwear enthusiasts and I'm happy to be a part of it from now on...

welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flash said:

@Niro nothing yet mate 

:unsure: doesn't bode well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heads up to the interview with our own superstar @Max Power

https://supertalk.superfuture.com/supertorial/superstar10/maxpower/

so now I'm eagerly looking forward to some further enternainment provided by @Maynard Friedman :D:D:D, perhaps pics of his arcs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now