Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Check this crazy shit out..

I have 2x emails, one for work, one for personal (the one a lot of y'all contact me on) work PC is encripted and anti-virused to the 9's, i don't use any virus software on my home mac and i'm super carefull not to type my deets into the interwebz, every month i get hit with 4 or 5 spam emails (akin to Sufu>Signet :ph34r:) just unsolicited shit from Amazon and wot-not, it's been this way for as long as i can remember... anyhow last month my (personal) spam folder started getting blasted with spam on an industrial scale, it's fucking nuts! ive got 246 spam mails since i emptied it yesterday morning!!! it's ranging from survey requests from ASDA through to notifications that my bank account has been credited with, £421,560 (+ numerous other amounts) Dick Pills, China Crypto, Morrisons Voucher, Fuck Friend Requests, Ripple Coin, Hot Asian Ladies, Apple, Sexy Selfies, Nespresso, Learn To Be An Oil Trader, Bitcoin, African Elongation, Dyson V11  Vacuum Cleaner...the list is somewhat inexhaustible, reputable companies mixed with...well purveyors of dick pills and i-phones :D

A couple of months ago i wanted to cancel my AA roadside assistance, i spent an hour on the phone on hold and thought fuck this shit, filled in the online contact form (which contained my email address :rolleyes:) and sent it requesting they don't renew my policy (ive only driven 1700miles in the last year) they replied by email, it was all legit... this is the only occasion i recall, in a moment of frustration typing my deets into the net but... What the fuck!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

My junk folder has all the same crap - I’ve won about a dozen iPad Pros, I haven’t managed to unsubscribe to a vast assortment of unrecognised websites, I’m clearly Dyson’s second favourite customer (behind you), I’ll need to get one of those $1000 wallets just to store all my Tesco club cards.

I’ve also been getting more and more text messages telling me that I’ve got a load of parcels that need picked up after I pay the outstanding postal charges.

Anyway, I’ll get to them after I’ve finished investing in my bitcoin opportunities ...

Edited by Duke Mantee

Who the hell clicks on this nonsense? i mean, the African elongation email has aubergine emojis, the dick pills have velvet underground style half peeled bananas, the payment received has bags of cash with $$$ signs and the fuck friends have lips, hearts and fire... it's like they're not even trying to be convincing, just seeing who's bot can conjour up the most ridiculous spam.
If you need dick pills, fair enough but surely you wouldn't buy them via spam emails, it's just madness..
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Anyone else hate starting a new pair of jeans ? 

I've tried the new warehouse i got on a few times and every time I wear them I'm missing my old worn in Conners ( don't worry I'm not going to sell them ..... again ) . I love the warehouse but its just I prefer wearing faded denim 

I’m not sure what’s meant to be achieved, how it works or, as you ask, who’s supposed to be the victim (beneficiary) - they all seem to have some element that’s a giveaway (mostly spelling/grammar), and those glitches strangely seem almost deliberate ...

1 minute ago, Flash said:

I've tried the new warehouse i got on a few times and every time I wear them I'm missing my old worn in Conners ( don't worry I'm not going to sell them ..... again ) . I love the warehouse but its just I prefer wearing faded denim 

Yep - well maybe not the very start, I like that newness, the deep indigo, the stiffness of the denim - all those little things. The bit I hate comes after a few weeks (or possibly months) of wear when they’re not minty fresh but neither are they completely broken in - a kind of no man’s land. It’s like getting white sneakers - they’ve got to be box fresh or fucked up ...

47 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Yep - well maybe not the very start, I like that newness, the deep indigo, the stiffness of the denim - all those little things. The bit I hate comes after a few weeks (or possibly months) of wear when they’re not minty fresh but neither are they completely broken in - a kind of no man’s land. It’s like getting white sneakers - they’ve got to be box fresh or fucked up ...

That's exactly how I feel. I love the feeling of new denim and like faded pairs but mostly I stuck in the "no man's land" :D

12 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

That's exactly how I feel. I love the feeling of new denim and like faded pairs but mostly I stuck in the "no man's land" :D

This is why I keep telling myself I'm putting a moratorium on new pairs - and currently failing. I tried that to start 2020 and was doing fine for awhile, and then this whole bug came which took away a lot of activity and gave me way more time to expand my knowledge of what's out there. Less denim, more active in the before times made for better fading and better, fewer jeans. Total opposite now, with the added benefit/complexity of a bit more disposable income - gonna try that moratorium again in earnest now that I've got my shots, a big move is coming, and life isn't quite as small as it was 6 months ago. I'm in that no man's land on essentially every pair I've got right now - every one of them just needs another 6-12 months.

When i was walking back from Tesco today near my work there was two young girls and a lad (possibly 17 years old) hanging around the seedy back streets, i said hey, we exchanged pleasantries, commented on a barking dog and i carried on walking.

The reason behind the 'hey' the two girls were dressed in some crazy styles and i wanted to have a closer look.. almost like Harajuku style but they were white westerners not Asian, they both had super exaggerated makeup, one had a geisha style white powder face with a heavy red pen line running down her forehead (what looked like marker pen) onto her nose and the end of her nose had been coloured in with a red circle, this line wasn't even very neat, it connected to her red lipstick, heavy eye makeup, huge false lashes and dressed like a combination between a fancy dress french maid and anime cossplay, her friend wore lumo and platform shoes, more Harajuku leaning. Both girls looked wonderfully absurd while the lad wore a grey tracky and AF1's, ive been googling abstract makeup styles but nothing ive found looks anything like these girls, has anyone come across this style? (the red line down the center of the face in particular) either in the media or reality? maybe @bartlebyyphonics can help me out with a cultural referance?

If they were up near the university i'd say fashion students, their steeze was way too off-beat to be Sheffield street styles...

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

maybe @bartlebyyphonics can help me out with a cultural referance?

If they were up near the university i'd say fashion students, their steeze was way too off-beat to be Sheffield street styles...

sounds fascinating! 

comes to pass as I recently listened [Lord forgive me...] to yee ol' Gwen Stefani with one of the familial young 'uns prompting the question 'what is a Harajuku Girl'?... thus fresh Fruits, Fruits, Japanese Street Style and other lore has been thrown from library shelves into the fray... 

... of interest, the 2012 Pat Lyttle book on Japanese Street Style lists a range of styles beyond / within the simple category Harajuku: Lolita [with sub sections, classical, gothic, punk, elegant, sweet, male - or Oji-sama - guro] - Lolita is all the lace / maid style you saw... other strands: Kogai [school girl], Dolly Kei [doll look, with Eastern European aspect], Visual Kei [glam rock meets blood stains], Ganguro [think Essex girl fake tan meets fuck you meets lilo and stitch meets surf culture; my favourite...], Cosplay, Date Megane [oversized 80s fake glasses frames], Decora / Kawaii [decorative / cuteness] & Kigurumi [a real lief antecendant to online furries...]

sharing such knowledge with the little 'uns does lead to fun conversations such as 'what is a Lolita'... [oh, Japanese cultural appropriation, what paths it leads one down...] 

interestingly none of this [apart from Visual Kei and Ganguro] has strong clown/mime makeup style... generally makeup of that era (mid 2000s to early 2010s] seems quite timid in fact... back to our UK histories, Bowie certainly does the mime look hard, but not the dividing line to the nose... other key makeup references of the present that I don't doubt they be looking at: RuPaul's drag race three recent biggest mask-like makeup looks: Gottmik, Crystal Methyd & Kim Chi - but again, no dividing line to the nose...

anyone else?

and just sharing for the nonsense... my biggest discovery today from a colleague was the photography of Zhong Lin and the muso-meme-icry of MonoNeon...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Thanks B!

I though i was getting close with Pastel Goth, Kawaii, (creepy/cute) and to a much lesser extent eGirl, ive found the nose line trend but they're horizontal rather than vertical.... i'll keep looking, non of the above are quite so extreme tho.

Tell you what's just occurred to me, i didn't see a camera but they could have been filming... it would explain why they were off the beaten track and the lad (or possible cameraman) was dressed like an average schmo.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

^ sounds like a good explanation: as mentioned very old resource being used and expected that insta usage must acccccccelerate so muchh: and Gott yes, allow them luvvlies to film, to be, to keep making: but keep talking to 'em: so very importante

pls; updates whenevrar... [I am so olde I keep telling ppl to look at Peter Greenaway and Derek Jarman so nuuu make-up lore is precious...]

Thought the same, even more expensive than his S-Double project from around 10 years ago...
But on the other hand, prices are in line with vintage stussy floating around the interwebs, mostly for stuff up until the 2000s and the limited edition stuff from around 2010. Too much for me, but maybe of interest to some.

U still can get plenty for some pieces, depending on what you got. Saw some of those IST Letterman jackets that went for about 150-200 bucks about ten years ago go for more than 500 bucks nowadays. Condition wasn't that great as well, but hey, it's authentic. 

80s/90s vintage is en vouge right now ;) 

17 hours ago, Flash said:

it was so much easier when I was young, one pair of 501s that you wore to death usually a year back then, the more distressed the better, there was nothing less cool than a brand new pair of jeans. Also you could then buy a new pair exactly the same as they never seemed to change the cut.  

45 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

In the late 80,s to mid 90,s fashion just repackaged the late 60,s to mid 70,s and sold it back to us...

Damn! i feel like my parents  :D

heck, the 60s never did batwing sleeves like the 80s...

no jeans were ever as washed out as the 90s... [plus, to go full 90s denimbros n bro-ettes y'all have to tie yr fancy iron heart flannels around yr waist and get into the mosh-pit with mudhoney on full wack... to follow that up... bonus pic of sub-pop returning as high fashion prop...]

image.jpeg

Beads, shoulder length hair, tie dye, LSD, floral shirts, flared hems (gotta be a loose fit)... Second summer of love in 88/89, when was the first summer of love? :)

^^When i was a kid i read 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' the Jim Morrison biography and it was the same back then...

When Jim was 16/17 his conservative parents insisted that he wore new jeans (60's Levi's) but he loved his battered stinky 501's which he hid under his neighbours porch, in the morning he would leave for school in new jeans, change into his old unwashed Levi's under the porch and head off to school.