Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Thanks my power tool friends. I was looking at DeWalt and have found a good one on discount in Screwfix, within my £150 limit. Currently I have a corded Skil drill bought for me as a present 25 years ago and a Bosch cordless screwdriver that would struggle to put a screw into a block of cheese so I don’t mind paying the extra for an upgrade.

53 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Think i heard something about this on a podcast, might have been Behind the Bastards, can't quite remember..

indeed...

earlier, pre-alt-right libertarian left take on/off/from 4chan re/via occupy from 2012 expressed here: https://libcom.org/library/all-memes-production-deterritorial-support-group 

/b/ is fucked, pepe has been stolen, now too the Hawaiian shirt... https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/politics/article/boogaloo-movement-hawaiian-shirt

the Fred Perry polo shirt too... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-47332054 [and while matt furie might be weeping, I think chuck palahunik is too, w. proud boys as fight club incarnate]

and yes, the shit in question: gavin mcinnes

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Last time i clicked on 4Chan.. probably 12 years ago :blush: Pedobear was the main threat to civilisation, how we yearn for those heady pre-frog days...

the furthest he got off the boards was infiltrating olympics mascots in 2010 I think ...

image.png.b581b9bd51942ad2efd6bba02782338a.png

and maybe a designer having a giggle in Love magazine shoot with an older Brooke Shields in more recent times...

image.thumb.png.2e0c47a6e2d242d36891fb69e4167c17.png

1 hour ago, unders said:

Bartles is officially woke. Thanks for sharing.

I clicked on 4chan this morning out of curiosity - crikey!

@Maynard Friedman there’s probably a power tool discussion board on there. You’ll find it right underneath the weapons thread :blink:

/k/ [said weapons board] is the origin of boogaloo bois apparently ...

other claim to progressive aspect of 4chan here, whilst this article is one of the first articulations of meme and alt-right thought-practice...

if going to doing woke phraseology I heartily recommend Christina Sharpe's 'In the Wake...' introduction and chapter one found here

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I was also giggling to some other part of BtB where there has been a recent uptake of far-right folks only eating a diet which cosists entirely of meat, not for any dietry reasons just because they see veganism as a left-wing lifestyle choice so in order to distance themselves as much as possible from left leaning behaviour... :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

In my first couple years of high school, I was part of a friend group of intense 4 channers - all dedicated gamers, history (specifically WWII) nerds and European car enthusiasts. A lot of our group behaviour revolved around meme references and off-colour jokes, and growing up with them in the early social media era we were always the trolls, quick to jump in and exacerbate teenage drama, and never shy of open racism and misogyny (which, shamefully, was par for the course in my school at that time). We grew apart gradually but I stayed on the periphery of their group in the last two years before graduation. I suppose what we had in common ideologically was our self-identification as anti-establishment, “free” thinkers, though I tended more towards the Beats while they leaned decidedly libertarian. 

In our last year of school, I got totally wrapped up in Occupy and the resurgent feminist movement, and became obsessed with discourse about patriarchy, privilege and income inequality that was becoming popular at that period of time. That brought me to reddit, which I really think of as the counterpoint to 4chan in that era, the other popular catch-all forum that I can remember being really popular among people my age. My closest friend in this group, at the same time, was becoming totally absorbed in what became Gamergate, started writing long essays on men’s rights, and became really interested in guns and military procedures, all things I knew traced back to popular discourse on 4chan. It’s fascinating to me to look back on how deeply divergent and politicized this split became, as within two years after graduation, when we’d become more aware of ourselves politically, we realized we were totally at odds and had nothing to say to each other. I reflect all the time on this period because, having grown up right in the middle of it (I was born in 1994), I feel among the first generation of adults who had our ideological values informed largely, if not primarily, by what started out as special interest and hobby groups on the Internet. And it makes me wonder whether the intensity of the divisions we see today can be traced back, at least in part, to smaller and not necessarily “political” divergences within these sorts of communities in the early 2000s. I’m totally not intending for this to be a politically or ideologically divisive post as it seems to be a totally global phenomenon - if anyone has any thoughts on it I’d be curious to hear them, especially from people older than myself who might have had a greater political consciousness at that time.

(As an aside: had 4chan and related forums not been such a central part of my life as a teenager, I likely wouldn’t have been drawn to reddit, and so wouldn’t have gotten into denim and ended up here. Weird coincidences lol!)

Can’t beat a good brazier on a winter's night. The popcorn looks tasty.

We’re making plans towards our final BBQ - a big feast of Gamba Blanca, Carabinero and Chipirones. It marks our last garden eating activities, and we just wait for a cold dry day, light the barbecue and crack open some beers.

Talking of beers, i bought some Brewdog last week from your motherland, on offer in Tesco for £12 for 12xcans, ive always been put off by this hipster nonsense, just looking at the can, it claims to be Punk a Post Modern Classic, Fiercely Defient and Independant..for a can of beer it's certainly insecure but i'll tell you what it's bloody lovely, i went back and bought another case :)

At 39 years of age, I’m just now learning that my left foot is bigger than my right. I bought a pair of Paraboot Michaels after trying on several pairs, and it seems the last just doesn’t work for me. After sizing up because my left toe touched the front of the first pair (I initially thought this to be a defective pair), and the second pair, I’m left with one shoe still being too tight, and the other nearly a 1/4 size too big. It’s interesting to me that no other last made this apparent to me before. Now that I pay attention, I realize that my left big toe ever so slightly touches the front of my Lofgren combat boots, though not enough to notice unless I pay close attention. Any Paraboot owners able to comment on how they break in? If they’ll stretch a bit, I’ll keep them, otherwise I’ll sell them on eBay or Grailed.

6 hours ago, Dan_F said:

At 39 years of age, I’m just now learning that my left foot is bigger than my right. I bought a pair of Paraboot Michaels after trying on several pairs, and it seems the last just doesn’t work for me. After sizing up because my left toe touched the front of the first pair (I initially thought this to be a defective pair), and the second pair, I’m left with one shoe still being too tight, and the other nearly a 1/4 size too big. It’s interesting to me that no other last made this apparent to me before. Now that I pay attention, I realize that my left big toe ever so slightly touches the front of my Lofgren combat boots, though not enough to notice unless I pay close attention. Any Paraboot owners able to comment on how they break in? If they’ll stretch a bit, I’ll keep them, otherwise I’ll sell them on eBay or Grailed.

I have the same problem with my Michaels. I've had them for a year now and it's gotten better but not perfect. I have no pain wearing them so I'm fine with it :)

@Broark I have a Studio heavy weight crew neck from about 6 years ago and just received a couple of the current heavy henleys. Unfortunately, the fit is a little off - too wide in the body, likely too short after a wash and tumble. It's the same with both the old crew and the current henleys. But as far as weight and quality, they can't be beat. I also have a variety of Homespun from about 10 years ago. They all fit differently, but all good quality and better fitting than the Studio, just not nearly as thick. 

What are you looking for? Is waffle necessary? Do you want heavy or just average weight? Crew neck or henley?

@Jared_Lee thanks for the SDA tip, hadn’t thought of them. I don’t really need anything super warm / heavy living in the southern part of the US and all. Just was thinking it would be a good option in the winter to wear under a denim jacket and call it a day. My favorite thermal I’ve seen if the wool one from Stevenson, but that one seems way too warm. Just looking for a casual, mid weight crew neck thermal that won’t break the bank to try out the style and see if I like them.

I'd really like one of those merino Stevenson thermals…if they ever make them a size larger, that'll be a no-brainer

Tried on the biggest one last year & it fit great, but the consensus seems to be that they shrink around a size? So much for that

58 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

I'd really like one of those merino Stevenson thermals…if they ever make them a size larger, that'll be a no-brainer

Tried on the biggest one last year & it fit great, but the consensus seems to be that they shrink around a size? So much for that

Those merino wool thermals are considered to be in the hall of fame of products among our employees and clients who've bought them.  They're amazing, I own almost every color and get so much use out of them... also, they should not be washed, they're made of virgin merino wool so they should only be dry cleaned.