Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I love the old Skyline @d-rew12 that'll be worth a few quid nowadays, let's have a look under the bonnet?

Under the hood is a nice mix of overspray and a wiring nightmare :tongue:, oh and an FJ20. I'll see if I can get one haha.

@1fookntitefd Thank you! Definietly seems like the forums got some cool cars!

Nice1 drew!

Here's the last of my bugs, a 1302S

fullsizeoutput_31f

...and 100's of photo's charting the UK V-Dub scene, i bought my first VW when i was 16 and started going to the festivals in it at 17 after i passed my test so these photo's span the entire 1990's.... i have more in my folks attic.

fullsizeoutput_2773

The Prodigy used to play Bug-Jam every year, they were a festivals band for years before Charly ever troubled the charts.. they used to do some crazy shit with the bass.. they would quieten everyone down and you could feel it coming from the left hand side of the crowd and it would pass through your body like a wave, leaving you tingling (and feeling like your teeth were rattling) and exit the crowd to the right, i was off my head at the time (being the 90's) but it was an amazing, almost spiritual experience that ive never seen or heard since.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

thie trend of late made me dig through the archives
2131620769_20160322127.thumb.JPG.f2fe12b4511372d69a081f7dbd38af15.JPG

anyone into car models?
This is a Stahlberg model of my old 244 gl, same color of my very same car

881343167_20160313094.thumb.JPG.1676e1d30fe48cb749c08eb57bfc86a0.JPG

and here with a black Amazon model kindly sent my way by @Paul T for my daughter a couple years ago

1283296632_20160420116.thumb.JPG.83840bc3e98c6b2b2508b27da9bba991.JPG

I loved my GTI, but too many check engine lights made me decide to get rid of it. However, my dad loved it too and didn't want to see it go, so he offered to trade me his CRV for it.  The CRV had about a quarter of the miles on it that my GTI did, so it was hard to pass up.  As much as I don't like driving something "sensible", at least the GTI is still in the family. 

He is now driving my mom crazy with all the time he is spending on it.  I took good care of it, but he has been putting in a lot of effort on it.  It's hard to tell that it's 9 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it. 

20200701_145357.jpg

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Nice1 drew!

Here's the last of my bugs, a 1302S

fullsizeoutput_31f

...and 100's of photo's charting the UK V-Dub scene, i bought my first VW when i was 16 and started going to the festivals in it at 17 after i passed my test so these photo's span the entire 1990's.... i have more in my folks attic.

fullsizeoutput_2773

The Prodigy used to play Bug-Jam every year, they were a festivals band for years before Charly ever troubled the charts.. they used to do some crazy shit with the bass.. they would quieten everyone down and you could feel it coming from the left hand side of the crowd and it would pass through your body like a wave, leaving you tingling (and feeling like your teeth were rattling) and exit the crowd to the right, i was off my head at the time (being the 90's) but it was an amazing, almost spiritual experience that ive never seen or heard since.

Bug Jam brings back fond memories. I have never been as of my head as I was at a Bug Jam! 

Coming down on the big grass bank next to the drag strip watching the outdoor cinema. 

2 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

@Broark, what happened to the Turbo? Funny, in the midst of all the car talk, to see you pop up in something with so many doors

That's the car I took that photo in actually, four doors and all. :D Still have the Turbo, it's very dirty right now so no current photos.
I will admit that I've had some thoughts about selling it lately, as it's about to hit 50k miles and I seem to have problems pop up more often thann I'd like. On New Year's eve of this year I had a coolant issue that cost almost 2 grand to fix. Once the repairs start getting that expensive and happening somewhat often it's time to consider another car possibly. No idea what I would get in place of it. Here's a photo from out in west Texas from February 2019.
lEk8qbg.jpg

2 hours ago, Broark said:

That's the car I took that photo in actually, four doors and all. :D Still have the Turbo, it's very dirty right now so no current photos.
I will admit that I've had some thoughts about selling it lately, as it's about to hit 50k miles and I seem to have problems pop up more often thann I'd like. On New Year's eve of this year I had a coolant issue that cost almost 2 grand to fix. Once the repairs start getting that expensive and happening somewhat often it's time to consider another car possibly. No idea what I would get in place of it. Here's a photo from out in west Texas from February 2019.
lEk8qbg.jpg

Have a 2015 Macan S myself. Love it so much! It's definitely not a family car, however, especially with a car seat. No way it fits behind the driver's seat and even the passenger seat has to be pushed way forward.

I test Drove a (used) Turbo when I was shopping a couple of years ago, but had to pass on it. It was in the budget, but I am pretty sure it was previously owned by an old lady. It was an ugly gold color and had the very basic 19" wheels. I would have had to spent a few grand getting a wrap and new wheels. The top of the line club leather interior, brutal acceleration, and great handling had me strongly considering it however! 

So I scored a free Gitman Vintage shirt from the Mr. Porter sale due to a website glitch.  Here’s how it happened.

I ordered one striped Gitman shirt for $124 during their sale about two weeks ago.  A week goes by and I notice they refunded me the money (wth?), so I order the shirt again.

The new order shows up on the order page and then they charge me twice for the order.  I contact them the next day about it, letting them know I just want one shirt.  They obliged and cancel the new order, refunding the money on the new order.

Anyway, lo and behold, they sent me the shirt and I received it today.

tl:dr   Mr. Porter cancelled and refunded both orders and sent me the shirt for free due to error.

Shirt might be lucky!

35188800-FEDB-4814-A4A6-E1CFA9083ABD.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

2 hours ago, Quoise1203 said:

Have a 2015 Macan S myself. Love it so much! It's definitely not a family car, however, especially with a car seat. No way it fits behind the driver's seat and even the passenger seat has to be pushed way forward.

I test Drove a (used) Turbo when I was shopping a couple of years ago, but had to pass on it. It was in the budget, but I am pretty sure it was previously owned by an old lady. It was an ugly gold color and had the very basic 19" wheels. I would have had to spent a few grand getting a wrap and new wheels. The top of the line club leather interior, brutal acceleration, and great handling had me strongly considering it however! 

Nice! I really love mine when there isn't something wrong with it...dealt with AC issues last summer (luckily still under warranty at the time, all expenses covered by the dealer) and then the coolant issue earlier this year. Glad I purchased the wheel and tie package because I've had so many nails in my tires. It's paid for itself by this point.
I was lucky enough to find this one with all the options I was looking for. It was at a Houston dealer so they were able to trade it out. Sounds like you did the right thing by skipping the Turbo for the options you were looking for. The extra kick of the Turbo is really fun butI'm sure the S is nice and lightweight. I like that this has the ability to be loaded up with some stuff but still drives like a sports car when you want to. I think the fastest I've taken it is around 120-130 on some desolate deep east and west Texas roads.
My only complaint is the gas milage on the Turbo is awful in the city. It's a decent road trip car, we've taken many trips to New Orleans in it. Might take a trip out to Colorado this summer.
My dad's got a 2017 Panamera and last weekend he told me he's thinking about trading in for a 911, he barely drives the Panamera (only has like 3k miles on it...) so a 911 makes more sense for him.

Oh god gas mileage is terrible! 12-13mpg for me in Chicago. 

I’ve also spent a fair amount on (routine!) maintenance despite buying it with only 8k miles (~26k now). I think the 20k mile scheduled maintenance was around 3k with labor. Still don’t know if all the stuff that was on the maintenance schedule was necessary...

im also with you on the wheels and tire package (which I also don’t have). I’ve gotten two flats that ended up needing a tow due to 1. No wheel lock key given to me when purchased, and 2. Faulty spare that wouldn’t inflate. Thankfully the tows were covered... the tires and labor weren’t cheap  

that said, I plan to do it all again with a Porsche the next time I need something new  

June 30, 2020

Our acceptance of various international mail items has been temporarily suspended due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Meanwhile, we will resume acceptance of mail items as noted below from July 1.

• EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by surface destined to China
  • EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by air destined to Italy and New Zealand
  • Parcel- post/letter-post items by surface destined to Indonesia

For details on the countries and territories to which acceptance of mail is still temporarily suspended as of July 1, please see the appendix (PDF:59kB). We continue to temporarily suspend acceptance of mail items destined to these countries and territories because their postal operators are still not accepting inbound postal items and/or our transportation performance remains significantly reduced due to reduction of flights from/to Japan.

Meanwhile, although dispatch of United States-bound items that have already been accepted will be completed soon, we continue to temporarily suspend acceptance of various mail items to the United States because we are unable to make any prospect for securing sufficient transportation capability for the time being.

In addition, because of the global reduction of flights, considerable delivery delays are expected for accepted outbound mail items.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. It would be appreciated if you would kindly understand this situation in advance.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0630_01_en.html

Edited by mlwdp

You Americans have it too damn easy with your economy! the kind of people who drive those kind of cars in the UK are usually in the top 10% of earners, i remember when @Broark was the manager of a men's clothing boutique and driving a Porsche, wtf! if you held a similar position in the UK especially outside London... once you had paid your rent and your bills you would be fortunate to own any car at all nr mind a Porsche, chances are you would be using public transport :sad: nothing personal B.

An average UK salary is £36000 after tax you would take home £28000, a Porsche Cayenne Turbo would cost £100000+ so almost 4x your annual take home pay (and running costs would be phenominal) what's the cost of heathcare insurance? does it come down to a choice between healthcare or a swanky car or is healthcare out of the realms of the average shmo like Porsche are here?

^WTF !!

The average UK salary is £36,000 !!?!!

Only just scraped through the 20,000k barrier a few years ago and l thought l was doing ok. 

Ah well, lucky to have a job at all, let alone a car (insert Monty python's Yorkshiremen sketch) at the moment during these uncertain times. 

Edited by Dr_Heech
Covid 19

Financing has gotten out of hand in the US (at least before Covid, can’t imagine the incentives they’re trying to lure folks in with now). 84 month loans have been slowly creeping into the financing sphere and I do believe people have been biting and even falling prey to high interest rates. Salesmen love to trap people who have no business buying a car by focusing their attention on the monthly payment, rather than total amount paid over time.

There are a lot of people who try their hand at the status thing by buying preowned “luxury cars”. Wait till they see the bill after their their certified pre-owned POS throws a code. 

Edit: Oh and don’t forget the gap insurance! :D

Edited by SuperJackle

In Seattle there are loads of commercials on the tv and radio from self-congratulatory realtors and car dealership execs announcing their new “generous” interest rates on car and home payments in wake of covid - an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard one! They’re set up to sound like interviews with the radio hosts instead of ads, and both sides really play up the temporality of the deals. I’m not anywhere near the income bracket to be able to afford a new car, but I know some folks who are making a little bit more than me - or even folks who just got a few extra thousand dollars from unemployment - who are doing the work to try to squeeze those kinds of investments in. My manager, for example, just bought a home with less than $4,000 down, which is unheard of in Seattle, where the cheapest homes I ever see for sale start around $200k. I get that these industries are trying to incentivize buyers and shore up their sales but the tactics lenders are employing rn are eerily similar to what they were doing leading up to the crash in ‘08.

This is getting dangerously close to politics, but when the government hands out trillions of dollars, you *will* get bubbles and some people *will* get hurt. There is no other option.

34 minutes ago, chicote said:

In Seattle there are loads of commercials on the tv and radio from self-congratulatory realtors and car dealership execs announcing their new “generous” interest rates on car and home payments in wake of covid - an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard one! They’re set up to sound like interviews with the radio hosts instead of ads, and both sides really play up the temporality of the deals. I’m not anywhere near the income bracket to be able to afford a new car, but I know some folks who are making a little bit more than me - or even folks who just got a few extra thousand dollars from unemployment - who are doing the work to try to squeeze those kinds of investments in. My manager, for example, just bought a home with less than $4,000 down, which is unheard of in Seattle, where the cheapest homes I ever see for sale start around $200k. I get that these industries are trying to incentivize buyers and shore up their sales but the tactics lenders are employing rn are eerily similar to what they were doing leading up to the crash in ‘08.

Oxymoron indeed, there used to be a similar ad running in the UK for Jeep Cherokee, the emphasis was on 'freedom' and how the Jeep was your gateway to being 'free'.. families were kayaking, climbing, cycling ect then at the end of the advert it told you the t&c's..

Nothing says 'freedom' like being tied into a 5yr repayment scheme does it :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Broark said:

Nice! I really love mine when there isn't something wrong with it...dealt with AC issues last summer (luckily still under warranty at the time, all expenses covered by the dealer) and then the coolant issue earlier this year. Glad I purchased the wheel and tie package because I've had so many nails in my tires. It's paid for itself by this point.
I was lucky enough to find this one with all the options I was looking for. It was at a Houston dealer so they were able to trade it out. Sounds like you did the right thing by skipping the Turbo for the options you were looking for. The extra kick of the Turbo is really fun butI'm sure the S is nice and lightweight. I like that this has the ability to be loaded up with some stuff but still drives like a sports car when you want to. I think the fastest I've taken it is around 120-130 on some desolate deep east and west Texas roads.
My only complaint is the gas milage on the Turbo is awful in the city. It's a decent road trip car, we've taken many trips to New Orleans in it. Might take a trip out to Colorado this summer.
My dad's got a 2017 Panamera and last weekend he told me he's thinking about trading in for a 911, he barely drives the Panamera (only has like 3k miles on it...) so a 911 makes more sense for him.

What was the coolant issue/fix?  My 2017 GTS is approaching 45,000.

B