cmboland

Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

I'm continuing with my 'no buy' trend since 2017.. although i do have a very cheap pair of jeans M.I.(christmas post)A, i'll go hunt them out in the new year, they were a prez so im conveniently not taking them into account.

In nearly 3 years ive only bought.. SC-46's to replace CSF-46's, 3x baseball tee's and a SC-46 Type1 which arguably i didn't need, i think i'm doing pretty well.

10 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Anyone doing a No Buy 2020? I think I may buy 1 pair of jeans (something I’ve had my eye on) but other than that I’m trying to buy nothing else (again) unless I’m replacing something that has worn out or I’m selling. I failed last year but didn’t do too badly.

Hmmmm difficult to say. I've tried in the past but failed as well. I reckon I should be able to hold off from buying denim pants in 2020, but I might struggle with other items like shirts, jackets, etc. 

Are you limiting your no-buy to jeans only?

I’m applying it to all clothing but not food as I may get hungry in the new year once all the Christmas chocolate is eaten.

Neal, do you have some new (MIA) jeans or are they on their way to you?

34 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Anyone doing a No Buy 2020? I think I may buy 1 pair of jeans (something I’ve had my eye on) but other than that I’m trying to buy nothing else (again) unless I’m replacing something that has worn out or I’m selling. I failed last year but didn’t do too badly.

I want to, excluding work/gym/running gear...... but still have 2 pairs of jeans on the wishlist. ....

22 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Neal, do you have some new (MIA) jeans or are they on their way to you?

'Missing In Action' i'm afraid Martin, i was expecting them to be delivered to my work address before Christmas, if i would have had any inkling they would have taken this long i would have had them delivered here...

I thought you meant Made in America so unless they were vintage Levi’s or dead stock Valencia St 501s I wondered what could they possibly be to interest you!

i just checked and the last time i bought a pair of jeans was in november 2016 (tender). pretty good going i thought till i remember i'd since been buying quite a few shirts, a jacket, a belt, caps, glasses and two pairs of shoes! :D

30 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I thought you meant Made in America so unless they were vintage Levi’s or dead stock Valencia St 501s I wondered what could they possibly be to interest you!

Only the MIA SC-47's.. although they're now a cheap pick up on Yahoo, i would have to live in clothes miles denial.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

participating in contests helps - ~9 months without new jeans (longest I've gone for years)

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Only doing another Wesco boot to replace my Red wings I sold a while back.  But I also have mini projects such as resoling two shoes.

^^I wear the same pair of jeans every single day and never rotate so i don't buy (or even consider buying) a new pair until the pair i'm wearing falls to pieces (usually between the 2 and 3yr mark) this helps immensely.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

The plan is to sell 3-4 more jeans in the next year.

Currently, there is no pair I would consider buying and hopefully it stays that way. But I will probably buy other clothes besides jeans. 

8 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

But I will probably buy other clothes besides jeans. 

Like cardigans and oxford shirts, and maybe a baracuta g9 jacket

Aside.. It annoys the crap out of me when brands deviate from the universally recognised S/M/L or 38/40/42.

Ive seen some brands using sizes 1, 2 and 3, which forces retailers to give a key '1=Small 2=Medium'...ect or "email us for advice" so what's the f**king point? its not impressive its meaningless and beyond pretentious.

I’m aiming for no new denim for at least 18 months - started Nov 2019 until May 2021 (*). Whilst I’ve got less than many Sufu’ers, I still have enough jeans and jackets to see me through. I’ve had a bit of a splurge in the last year-ish - both jackets and jeans - so time to wear what I have, whenever I can.

(* excludes potential contest pair but only if it’s enticing enough not to miss!!!)

I am going to jump on this wagon as well and also quit drinking. 

;-)

I love you have the exclusion ready :D

I would like to see some of the bigger collectors here take it one step further as @beautiful_FrEaK has done and actually start selling off...atleast those who have NOS in 34W, 35W, 36W.

;-)

I don't think I actually mind the whole numbered sizing thing. Ideally, every brand would have a consistent S/M/L or a set of chest / waist sizes that actually roughly correspond to chest / waist measurements, but in practice there's all sorts of variation in how different brands interpret these labels. Here we're used to it, and we know to just look up the true measurements if we're unsure, but folks coming from less of a fancy clothes background might not, and might get burnt by assuming that they'll be the same size in Fancy Japanese Brand as they are in Generic Mall Brand when realistically the two systems are unrelated. Going with a numbering system that's explicitly different from what folks are used to trades increased convolution for decreased confusion…or at least that seems to be the goal.

Why does Superfuture think this thread is "Hot!" all of a sudden?

@Geeman ha kidology. I think I could flex the definition of ‘contest’ to have just one entry from me if need be!!  I’m sure you could flex your work/gym/run exclusion to fit them two pairs in if necessary ha...

Edited by MJF9

1 minute ago, MJF9 said:

Ha ha kidology. I think I could flex the definition of ‘contest’ to have just one entry from me if need be!!  I’m sure you could flex your work/gym/run exclusion to fit them two pairs in if necessary ha...

Mmmmm,  I could do with some more work jeans...

Don’t want to be wearing the same thing every dress down day at work 

2 hours ago, bod said:

Like cardigans and oxford shirts, and maybe a baracuta g9 jacket

Yeah this was too obvious, wasn't it?

What's not to love about an oxford shirt?!  Even the G9 has its place.  Cardigans are tricky, though Fred Rogers made it work ;-)

10 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

This should be the contest haha. 

My goal is to buy no new clothes for myself in 2020. I spent way too much this year but on the upside I have pretty much all of my bases covered now, so I don't need anything else, anyway.

If you work a regular office job of 9-5 or 0900-1700 M-F that doesn’t allow casual clothes such as denim, etc, it makes it easier to not buy much casual clothes since you’ll be restricted to only dressing down on weekends or holiday.

If you work a regular office job of 9-5 or 0900-1700 M-F that doesn’t allow casual clothes such as denim, etc, it makes it easier to not buy much casual clothes since you’ll be restricted to only dressing down on weekends or holiday.