cmboland

Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

2 hours ago, cause4pause said:

Some unsavoury shit always happens to my jeans at around 2-3 months and forces me to wash. Sometimes it’s much earlier than that.

I can only hope this was simply a poor word choice.

2 hours ago, cause4pause said:

Can’t imagine not washing my jeans for 6, 12, or even 15 months of effective wear. Some unsavoury shit always happens to my jeans at around 2-3 months and forces me to wash. Sometimes it’s much earlier than that.

Yep. It goes without saying that not washing your jeans leads to holes and blowouts much faster. Swamp ass in denim is a thing. Makes my skin crawl when I read about dudes that never wash their jeans. 

To be fair to Momentaro Staff, I think the description was quite accurate on how to achieve contrast fade and proper detergent.

It has been my experience here in SE Asia & Asia, that for whatever reason, males do not have nearly the body odor issues as my western counterparts (including myself). Part of this may be that most people over here shower atleast twice a day.

I think health studies will also support my claim that Asian populations do not...yet...suffer as much problem with obesity and being overweight. Most Western guys I know will agree that carrying extra pounds typically results in more perspiration (the bodies attempt to regulate core temperature).

It might be that different cultures can avoid laundering their denim longer than others.

Edited by Pedro

35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I can only hope this was simply a poor word choice.

Actually I meant it in the literal sense. At my workplace, we actually do get stuff like that on our clothes, hence the necessity of the wash.

In that case...although I am not sure it comes in selvedge options.

858986E0-0FDA-4A89-985F-E05DBAF1BA19.jpeg

I wonder how much dirt, etc, you could get rid off by just doing a long soak in plenty of water (say, 6hrs in a bath tub full of initially warm water). Of course, it might also dilute some of the indigo I suppose...?

Personally I just wash my jeans when I feel they need to.

Detergent actually attracts dirt and oil particles by chemical bonds and pulls them away from the fabric. I suppose if its just crotch rot then these are largely the result of body oils that a mild dish detergent and a bathtub soak could help remove (dish washing liquid is what is used to clean animals after a petroleum spill because it is gentle and effective on grease/oil).

The crotch region could even be treated locally with pants turned inside out on just that location. After all, dirt is found on the exterior of denim but crotch rot originates on the inside so washing that from inside would not impact the indigo as much.

Ofcourse, the balance between contrast and laundered is a personal choice based on several metrics.

But I am with @JDelage and wash my jeans. 

Edited by Pedro

My point of view is that it’s not just the odors, sweat, oils, etc from a person’s body that gets something dirty. There’s all the environmental things around you that get you dirty on a daily basis. All i need is to wear a white jacket or shirt 10 times doing basic everyday activities and I’m reminded that even if i feel like I’m not super dirty, I’m kind of dirty. Multiply that many wears by 30 and i suspect most people would be grossed out by the state of that white shirt. 

people who say that they don’t think their jeans smell probably aren’t comparing their jeans to a freshly washed one. I get to experience this everyday at work and i can def tell you that there is a drastic difference. Even just a couple of jeans that aren’t fresh will make a room smell especially when a little heat and steam has to be used on it. 

- I shower every day and put on fresh undergarments afterward

- I never go longer than 3-4 months without washing, usually on a new pair 

- I'm a skinny white guy, so no Asian anti-body-odor genetics

- All my sweat comes out of my forehead and upper body, so my jeans are rarely affected

- I've never had a crotch blowout on any jeans

- I've never had problems with my jeans smelling at all

- My wife has never complained about how my jeans smell

- I don't think I've ever experienced this "swamp ass" thing everyone else talks about

- I don't exactly think my jeans feel greasy or gross after wearing them for a while, but I do like the fresh feeling after they've been washed

I could probably go a lot longer without washing if I wanted, but since all the jeans I wear right now are sewn with cotton stitching, washing them more often seems to prolong the life of the stitching. I tend to think that jeans look best when you hold off on the first wash to get some decent contrast going, and then wash pretty frequently (about every two months) after that.

17 hours ago, cause4pause said:

Can’t imagine not washing my jeans for 6, 12, or even 15 months of effective wear. Some unsavoury shit always happens to my jeans at around 2-3 months and forces me to wash. Sometimes it’s much earlier than that.

@cause4pause

just want to confirm that by 'unsavoury shit' you mean desserts; ice cream and alike?
This must be what you mean...I was never allowed unsavoury until I'd eaten the savoury. 

TFW ordering from a overseas website as the first American, etc to buy from them online.  Sitting on pins and needles just hoping it actually gets to you in one piece with no customs fees!:o

I remember in the early days of superdenim, printing off a Rakuten order form which was in Japanese that a sufu'er had translated (put your name here, address here, card details here and so on) this was before google-translate and faxing it off.... to goodness knows where.

In retrospect, I sort of took for granted how easy it was buying stuff from Japanese stores in 2011-14 since I lived in Japan and had an actual Japanese address :wink: Nobody seemed to care that my name obviously wasn't Japanese. The big problem is that at least at the time most sites didn't have the mechanisms for foreign addresses and they didn't really want to bother with it. Not sure if that's gotten better but services like Buyee (and retailers like Denimio, etc.) make it so easy to buy from Japan that it's not much of an issue anymore.

TSB used to be a high street bank all over the uk, they went bust with the financial crisis and were resurrected a couple of years ago. Apparently they used to offer some sort of denim club or incentive for customers!? 
(I have no info except the badge in a vintage shop here) 

Banking and denim? Cheque book fades?

46B770E8-5FEF-4125-A290-F6C7E0421C4F.jpeg

I hear a lot of complaints about being able to use Rakuten lately, but I guess I don’t see it; the global site ain’t that hard to use.

Now the the lack of returns from most stores on international orders, on the other hand...

Buyee has been great for buying car parts and stuff off yahoo auctions. I used a few proxys way back in the day but I feel buyee has made it a bit cheaper and easier (at least for yahoo auctions).

^^I used to be in the TSB 'Super-Savers-Club' when i was a school kid, i wanted those pot piggy banks which were a family of pigs but never saved up enough money to even get the piglet.

I don't remember a 'Jeans Scheme' although i have been scheming to buy jeans ever since...

The pigs were NatWest.

I liked the Viz GnatWest advert:

Just left school? No job? No money? Then f*@k off.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

The pigs were NatWest.

I liked the Viz GnatWest advert:

Just left school? No job? No money? Then f*@k off.

and live rest of life as fat slags?

Superdenim has orSlow outerwear on sale at 50% off. Also the new collection. They really might get out of business then?

Plus 30% off everything else!

2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Superdenim has orSlow outerwear on sale at 50% off. Also the new collection. They really might get out of business then?

even with the 50%  those fleece jackets are ridicolously expensive. Farce!

I prefer the OA cossack jacket myself. ^_^

I like the hand pockets, but that collar is an abomination, AFAIC. It looked bad on Einstein too.

Shawl collars are fine. This jacket's looks way too small.

Yes, it's a bit non-committal; it's not really a shawl, not really a stand collar. It probably is best worn popped up as a stand collar to keep one's neck shielded from wind, but it's too short to really do that well:

dm0ijj9r30g31.png