Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Anyone have Seattle recommendations? Looking like I'll be there for two nights the first week of November for an interview, just waiting on the travel details to be confirmed.

I live in Seattle. What reccs a are you looking for ??

5 hours ago, Broark said:

@ecsong187 mainly food, beer, any must-see things since I’m only there for two days. Could potentially be moving there depending on how things go. 

I like Fremont, Reubens, Holy Mountain, and Cloudburst for breweries. Pine Box is a good general beer bar. I have had good food experiences at Bar del Corso (pizza/Italian,) Stateside (French/Vietnamese, solid brunch), The Shambles (meat and beer,) and Nirmal's (Indian.) I have been meaning to try JuneBaby, Mean Sandwich, and Xi'an Noodles on a visit, but it hasn't worked out yet. There is a sushi place with a chef that trained under the Jiro Dreams of Sushi guy too. There are the obvious tourist stops like Pike Place and the Space Needle that are fine, ideally experienced at not peak hours. Gas Works park is nice if the weather works out in your favor. The music/pop-culture museums are cool if you are interested in those things. It was not for me, but I have a friend who loved the Seattle Underground tour. If you like Twin Peaks and are renting a car, you can check out a lot of the original spots in Snoqualmie not too far away, though I am not sure how much the locals like Twin Peaks visitors. 

LOL. I've always thought the flat lay thing was a bit silly, but this guy really takes it too far. 

What bothers me the most about his Instagram is whatever awful HDR filter thing he's using. It looks weird enough with landscapes, but it's downright weird on people or clothes.

I never use filters on Instagram because I want to represent the appearance of the outfit as accurately as possible.

14 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

I like that dude’s IG. As played out as the flat lays are, at least his pics are original. He clearly puts a lot of thought into them, which I appreciate. Most other IG denim accounts are just dudes who recycle the same shit over and over again.  

I agree. I like most of his pics, even with the filters and editing. I think he's got a good eye for creating an image that evokes emotion. I do think some of his recent pics have been more influencer based than his older work before brands started throwing goods at him to plug in his pics. 

I'm conflicted with IG. On the one hand, the blatant advertising is what made me cancel my account. On the other hand, I shouldn't fault someone for trying to derive an income from IG if the opportunity presents itself. One of the reasons why it was a turn off for me is that when IG accounts became monetized the content seemed less fluid, for the most part. I still browse IG but their new algorithm, or whatever you call it, prevents me from looking at IG without having an account.

I don't like some of the hashtags people use when they do some stupid poses #dointheende etc. And why do all people who meet Swissjeansfreak need to carry him and take a photo? Many denim related accounts post really weird things.

I stopped following this guy because his flat lays got out of control. 

Can anyone here who has carried SJF for a pic confirm his jeans do stink?

Edited by Geeman

10 hours ago, cusswords said:

The most remarkable part of that photo is he managed to get a finished pair of WH Ranch jeans. 

Don’t get it twisted. They were a sample pair which Ryan at times will list on his IG occasionally for quick sales. Haha 

Does anyone feel like no one brand completely answers what you’re looking for? My ideal is this: the catalogue(shirts, jeans, jackets) of Sugarcane/Buzz Rickson, the stitching and thread (cotton wrapped poly) of Stevenson, SDA’s experimental humor, Flathead’s “don’t need it until you see it” excess, Iron Heart’s western friendly patterns, the denim and fabrics of Warehouse, the modern playfulness of Orslow, and for god sakes, and maybe I’m alone here...a legit type 3 or 2 (unsanforized, interesting denim, good thread) with handwarmer pockets that measures longer than 24” in length. Same for loopwheel.

I don't know what's going on over at Filson HQ but good lord, they have the worst customer service ever. I've seen people leaving comments on their IG page saying as much but now I know. I sent them a product inquiry email Sep 30th and only just received a response yesterday. Yep, almost a full month to answer a simple question. I gave up after a week lol

On 10/27/2019 at 11:11 PM, SuperJackle said:

Does anyone feel like no one brand completely answers what you’re looking for? My ideal is this: the catalogue(shirts, jeans, jackets) of Sugarcane/Buzz Rickson, the stitching and thread (cotton wrapped poly) of Stevenson, SDA’s experimental humor, Flathead’s “don’t need it until you see it” excess, Iron Heart’s western friendly patterns, the denim and fabrics of Warehouse, the modern playfulness of Orslow, and for god sakes, and maybe I’m alone here...a legit type 3 or 2 (unsanforized, interesting denim, good thread) with handwarmer pockets that measures longer than 24” in length. Same for loopwheel.

I pretty much agree w/ all this, although I don't own items from all brands mentioned. There isn't ONE BRAND that checks all my boxes.TFH, IH, and Samurai are brands that appeal to me most, all for different reasons, yet each has aspects that I wish were different to be even better.. There's lots of items from other brands that I've wanted to try, but for one reason or another have been hesitant. Mainly due to fit. I'm also a bit frugal and discerning, and try not to be impulsive... I have my regrets... Once I find jeans or a shirt that I really like the fit of, it's hard to get into something different. 

I think there should be a shirt, or particularly a jacket, contest. I really liked the tux category from DWC1, and now regret not following through with it and posting regular updates.