Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Saint Laurent Paris, particularly around the time Hedi Slimane was their style director a few years ago... basically, super skinny "rock star" style. I never went full into this style but definitely looked inspired by it for a year or so.

I definitely have the body type and proportions for that look (but not the hairline) but I looked dumb, it was a poorly-conceived experiment. I learned my lesson, it's denim, flannel, and heritage boots for me, I guess.

A couple of other pet peeves of mine:

- asymmetrical shirt pockets. I'm sure there may be some historical provenance to this look but my eyes can't handle it. 0_o

- work shirts without a gusset at the hem. RgT does this with a lot of their workshirts and it's not a good look. If anything, it makes the person wearing it look like they're wearing a blouse.

By asymmetrical pockets, do you mean when a shirt has two different types of pockets (one on each side)? Yeah, I'm not crazy about that either.

Alright, here's a dumb question: Who has the best username? My vote goes to Volvo240TheBest, I like the subtle ungrammatical nature of it. Following the same pattern, I should have been "FenderTelecasterTheBest." :P

I go by Rocktransformed on other platforms, I wish I'd used that back when I registered here. Most of my online names come from the works of Japanese musician Mukai Shutoku and his bands Number Girl and Zazen Boys. "Cold Summer" is a Zazen Boys song. "Shibuya Rocktransformed Jōtai" is a legendary live album by Number Girl.

3 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Alright, here's a dumb question: Who has the best username? My vote goes to Volvo240TheBest, I like the subtle ungrammatical nature of it. Following the same pattern, I should have been "FenderTelecasterTheBest." 

I have to agree. :D I just sold my last Volvo 240 a couple weeks ago :(, I should perhaps change my nickname to VolvoTheBest or maybe cut it short and call myself TheBest.

28 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

I have to agree. :D I just sold my last Volvo 240 a couple weeks ago :(, I should perhaps change my nickname to VolvoTheBest or maybe cut it short and call myself TheBest.

Just change your name to VolvoTheBestForever and you’re good! :D

Edited by mlwdp

12 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Yeah more or less. I was thinking of the new flannel shirts that Samurai just came out with via Okayama Denim. The pocket shape/size are different so it's hard for me to like it. I prefer symmetry

The Samurai shirts' pockets are based on ones from a vintage 1930s-40s Uncle Sam cigarette pocket shirt, basically their take on the cig pocket shirt after Big Yank led the way starting in 1930 with their Flyer model. AFAIK, Uncle Sam kept using this pocket style into the '60s:

i-img1200x900-1552644790y0oar81436244.jp

i-img1200x900-1552644820gjiy741428143.jp

Here you can see how it functions as a pocket-on-pocket design, with the cigarettes meant to go on the top pocket and thus kept away from a sweaty chest:

i-img1200x1200-1553993236fptlss209307.jp

3.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

I have a Cushman cigarette pocket shirt where the cig Pocket has been moved up so that the buttons align; it’s not what the original Big Yank shirt was like, but it’s not a bad adjustment:

1EB1205E-F287-4521-9A98-C57BC7271DD8.jpeg

Big Yank cig pocket shirt debut in 1930, before the introduction of the premium Flyer model with ventilation holes and front shoulder yokes:

8543CA25-C69C-481E-BDFC-EA2856A57224.jpeg

The Flyer:

57E13526-582A-4DC9-87AE-20051605247D.jpeg.92f5e7a81bc0366e11856c00436bb3bb.jpeg

Edited by Iron Horse

It's been years since ive posted here. Got all stoked on buying a new pair of Flatheads but realized im too fat for any of my pairs. I have 6 pairs of jeans i love and can only stuff into uniqlo stretch jeans. Dad jeans it is i guess.

whats really bizarre about my near 10 years in raw denim is the amount of people ive met and have had long term friendships with. Ive met and stayed friends with 5-6 or so people through damn japanese denim.

Strange, had my haircut today and the barber asks me about my jeans, where I bought them etc. (evisu 2000t Japan made) showed him denimio etc and told him about fades etc and he seemed really happy.  I told him to measure your current pair and check the charts.. anyway he seemed pretty hyped, never happened to me in real life before lol.

I'm not a fan of asymmetrical pockets. Don't like the look, and usually on of them is too small to be useful for anything. I actually use my shirt pockets to hold various things at various times. I also prefer work shirt pockets to have a flap rather than just button through as it's more secure and stuff doesn't fall out when you bend over. One reason why I like western shirts. Don't like chin straps either. They're useless in today's world. Another reason why I like westerns. 

I've been saying for years now (has it been that long... ?) that a hem of around 8" +/- is ideal. Still big enough to get over most boots, not so big there's extra denim flapping around, not so tight to be carrot shaped. The taper also has to be gradual and start from 13" +/- from crotch seam. A sharp taper from below the knee down looks dumb. 

@Cold Summer you sold those TFH boots? Dude... 

@cmboland welcome back! Hope to see you around here regularly again. Don't give up on your old jeans or the possibility of new jeans. You can drop a few pounds and transform your body!