Jump to content
cmboland

Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

Recommended Posts

I would err on the side of caution and listen to the appliance repair tech. His job is to repair washing machines, so he/she would know better than anyone what liquids are acceptable. Besides, washing machines are built to use liquid chemicals, not liquid food stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ColonelAngus said:

I would err on the side of caution and listen to the appliance repair tech. His job is to repair washing machines, so he/she would know better than anyone what liquids are acceptable. Besides, washing machines are built to use liquid chemicals, not liquid food stuff.

The appliance tech did not know what he was talking about and, no offense intended, but neither do you.

”Liquid Food Stuff”? What is that even supposed to mean? Does that mean you cannot wash clothes that have food spilled on them?

How do you propose killing mold on fabric?

How do you propose rinsing the gypsum from the inside of the other member’s machine?

Too funny.

Does anyone use vinegar to clean their coffee machine? That is undiluted vinegar (5% Acetic Acid) vs Vinegar being diluted by water in a rinse cycle. The coffee machine also has rubber and synthetic seals and components.

 

Edited by Pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pedro said:

The appliance tech did not know what he was talking about and, no offense intended, but neither do you.

”Liquid Food Stuff”? What is that even supposed to mean? Does that mean you cannot wash clothes that have food spilled on them?

How do you propose killing mold on fabric?

How do you propose rinsing the gypsum from the inside of the other member’s machine?

Too funny.

Does anyone use vinegar to clean their coffee machine? That is undiluted vinegar (5% Acetic Acid) vs Vinegar being diluted by water in a rinse cycle. The coffee machine also has rubber and synthetic seals and components.

 

Look buddy, I don't know why you're getting defensive about your vinegar solution proposal, but If that's how you choose to wash your denim then that's your choice. I guess I have an aversion to my clothes stinking of vinegar. I have never experienced a mold issue with my jeans, and if I did I would use regular laundry detergent like I always do.

And no, I do not use vinegar to clean my coffee machine nor will I ever. I worked with a girl who used a vinegar solution to clean the company coffee machine and my coffee tasted like shit for a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pedro said:

@SuperJackle

Why post sonething that you don’t know is true or rumor?

Did you actually have damaged seals that required replacement? Were you using it every wash? May I ask why?

I disagree with the appliance tech. 

Washing machine parts are designed to accept various cleaning agents including bleaches and oxidizers.

There are two applications where I use and recommend vinegar. One is for mold and there is no chemical less damaging to clothing that can kill mold. The second is for the clothing above that was thick with drywall dust. Have you seen drywall dust and water mix together? Have you ever attempted to get it off a floor? It smears. You can mop it 5 times and its still there in the cracks. This same film coats the inside of the washing machine and continues to attach to garments in several future washes. 

I will leave it to the readers what they consider a greater risk...a known quantity of mold or gypsum mud on their fabrics or the unsubstantiated rumor that their seals will fail. 

 

 

How do you use vinegar to get rid of mold?

I have a t-shirt, that somehow after a few hours of wear develops a smell. I've only washed it at 40C max, because I was afraid it might shrink at higher temperatures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@indigoeagle

I wrote a DIY on mold within the last few pages. It was for denim.

Usually mold appears in more than one garment so the fact the odor is only in the t-shirt might suggest its something else like bacteria that causes body odor. This used to be more common in tech materials like nylons or polyesters but they now have anti-microbials embedded in the fabric. One option for this is a “Sports Wash” type laundry detergent. I think these products release the bacteria to be rinsed away but don’t actually destroy the bacteria.

If that doesn’t work, then a spray bottle with only white vinegar sprayed on the inside of shirt around the pits can actually kill bacteria. Spray it in and leave it 30 minutes and then place shirt in a regular laundry cycle to wash out the vinegar.

Try a small dab on the material first to make sure its colorfast if other than white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should change this thread name to Vinegar, Blunders, reflections and general nonsense. :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@kicks79

OK. Good humor. ;-)

I used to spend alot of time in Cuba shortly after the fall of the Soviet Onion. As most readers know, a healthy black market system is often necessary and thriving in communist countries that have strict rationing.

A few times a week, a guy would walk through the neighborhoods making quiet deliveries of...you guessed it...Vinegar. Cubans cannot do without coffee, rum & vinegar. 

In such communities, there is no other female personal hygeine products available. It is an ideal cleaning agent and has been for centuries. 

Make fun all you like but I have yet to read anyone else offer a better suggestion on how to remove mold and bacteria from your clothing with less damage...and that seems like a pertinent topic for a forum dedicated to followers of fashion...Lol

Edited by Pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2414961/don-t-use-vinegar-in-your-washing-machine

There are plenty of sites out there that suggest the use of vinegar when washing clothes, but again, i'll take the advice of a repair tech over that of someone who is into DIY solutions. My ex coworker who funked up the coffee machine with vinegar also suggested I start brushing my teeth using ground up eggshells. Um, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2414961/don-t-use-vinegar-in-your-washing-machine

There are plenty of sites out there that suggest the use of vinegar when washing clothes, but again, i'll take the advice of a repair tech over that of someone who is into DIY solutions. My ex coworker who funked up the coffee machine with vinegar also suggested I start brushing my teeth using ground up eggshells. Um, no.

What I don’t like is someone coming onto a thread who knows nothing about the topic as yourself insinuating in no uncertain terms that I would post information that would be poorly researched or harmful to anyone or anything.

Since you have no knowledge or experience on this topic and the repairman is not even here to explain his findings, then you are being argumentative and disrespectful. This is not some DIY home remedy, it is simple science. Perhaps a bit out of your expertise of whether someones new britches make their hips look big...Lol

I spent many years in the 3rd generation family construction business while earning my PE, the topics of how to remove drywall dust and concrete are oft discussed in the trades and jobsite trailers are full of plumbers and never once in all that time has anyone spoken of their personal experience of prematurely worn out seals. Nor can I find even one photo of a worn out seal posted to the WWW to validate the 3rd party claim of the unknown Tech. In a world where there are 100,000 photos of people popping their blackheads, it seems atleast one photo of a worn out seal would have been posted online? But then maybe it was dried out from contact with chlorine bleach which is far more damaging than a mild Vinegar.

I am still waiting for you to tell me how to remove mold from clothing using a less harsh product and explaining why having the inside of the washer tub coated with gypsum for the next several wash loads of clothes is less a concern.

I have read a DIY practice of using Vinegar with every wash as an alternative to fabric softener. I am not advocating that and I can see how a constant contact with 5% Acetic Acid could result in damage. Perhaps that is what the Unknown and anonymous Tech (which you place all your trust in) experienced? But the treatment of mold should be a single event if performed correctly and removing drywall dust a once weekly event. It becomes a question of frequency.

Flame Away. 

Lets get back to posting pictures of cats and whether our cuffs are rolled too high, its alot more fun...Lol

 

Edited by Pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait..... you actually googled: images of washing machine seals damaged by washing with white vinegar...? I feel you are taking a difference of opinion a little far/seriously. 

It's a forum

noun
  1. 1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    "we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 this thread has me questioning why I spend time on superfuture anymore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Flash said:

 this thread has me questioning why I spend time on superfuture anymore 

I’m the culprit.

As soon as I posted the guy washing himself with his jeans on in the dirty tub, all hell broke loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pedro said:

What I don’t like is someone coming onto a thread who knows nothing about the topic as yourself insinuating in no uncertain terms that I would post information that would be poorly researched or harmful to anyone or anything.

Since you have no knowledge or experience on this topic and the repairman is not even here to explain his findings, then you are being argumentative and disrespectful. This is not some DIY home remedy, it is simple science. Perhaps a bit out of your expertise of whether someones new britches make their hips look big...Lol

I spent many years in the 3rd generation family construction business while earning my PE, the topics of how to remove drywall dust and concrete are oft discussed in the trades and jobsite trailers are full of plumbers and never once in all that time has anyone spoken of their personal experience of prematurely worn out seals. Nor can I find even one photo of a worn out seal posted to the WWW to validate the 3rd party claim of the unknown Tech. In a world where there are 100,000 photos of people popping their blackheads, it seems atleast one photo of a worn out seal would have been posted online? But then maybe it was dried out from contact with chlorine bleach which is far more damaging than a mild Vinegar.

I am still waiting for you to tell me how to remove mold from clothing using a less harsh product and explaining why having the inside of the washer tub coated with gypsum for the next several wash loads of clothes is less a concern.

I have read a DIY practice of using Vinegar with every wash as an alternative to fabric softener. I am not advocating that and I can see how a constant contact with 5% Acetic Acid could result in damage. Perhaps that is what the Unknown and anonymous Tech (which you place all your trust in) experienced? But the treatment of mold should be a single event if performed correctly and removing drywall dust a once weekly event. It becomes a question of frequency.

Flame Away. 

Lets get back to posting pictures of cats and whether our cuffs are rolled too high, its alot more fun...Lol

 

Dude, we get it, you like vinegar. Next time I need to figure out how to get skidmarks out of my son's underwear using vinegar i'll be sure to tag you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Given the recent lack of activity you might not be the only one :D

Autumn is coming guys, we'll be back in jeans jackets and boots soon enough :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

The Soviet Onion

Onion vinegar is my favourite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...this thread is become a little bit like salty vinegar...

13 hours ago, Geeman said:

Autumn is coming guys, we'll be back in jeans jackets and boots soon enough :D

yes pls. [if we can post pix then...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone put vinegar on their chips? That’s nice. Highly recommended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chips & vinegar make no sense to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s because you need salt AND vinegar (malt or onion) on your chips - a British classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought a pre washed Levi Sherpa type 3 from Costco and it looks good, just odd not buying raw denim for the first time in years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Privilege Program