Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I'll throw Wrangler in the wring, too

No competition between them and Sugar Cane or TCB as far as quality goes, but it's hard to argue with a well-fitting, long-lasting pair of jeans for sub-$30

Wrangler 13MWZ hands down  

$20, great fit, and super tough denim. Really nice fades too. 

I work construction and wrangler are the best bang for buck jeans. 

For raw denim I’d agree with sugar cane. 

The real stand out feature for Wranglers is the additional two belt loops on the back side. I always have to sew these into my non-Wrangler jeans to make them good for manly work.

Ofcourse if you are going to wear your Wranglers Cowboy “proper” then they need to have a starched & pressed crease and be worn tight with high heels and a scarf. (I mean cowboy boots and a bandanna...Lol)

Here are the proper instructions  that every kid in TX learns by age 10:

https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-get-permanent-creases-in-wranglers-12392611.html

Edited by Pedro

I was just gonna say the thing I cant get down with on Wrangler's 13MWZ is the front and back crease... does it go away after some wear and washes? 

1 minute ago, mpukas said:

I was just gonna say the thing I cant get down with on Wrangler's 13MWZ is the front and back crease... does it go away after some wear and washes? 

They don’t come with the front creases you’re talking about. People do that on their own. 

I never do that to mine. Haha 

Maybe it’s because I live in Austin, but I associate Wranglers with frat guys. Every time I go to a UT football game nearly every single one of them wears the super washed out Wranglers. So I just can’t break that association.

17 minutes ago, Broark said:

Maybe it’s because I live in Austin, but I associate Wranglers with frat guys. Every time I go to a UT football game nearly every single one of them wears the super washed out Wranglers. So I just can’t break that association.

We’re talking about the ridgid 13MWZ. They’re pretty much like raw denim. The washed out jeans are hideous haha 

Right, but I'm just talking about my association with Wrangler in general. Regardless of was I just think frat guy whenever I think of Wrangler. :D 
Maybe I'll break that association one day!

@ecsong187 good to know the 13MWZ doesn't come with creases pressed in. Thx for clarifying. I'll have to grab a pair to to see for myself. The first thing I'll do tho is get rid of those packet pocket "w" arcs. I like arcs, but I despise branding. Prolly pull the patch on the back pocket too. 

Where I live in Co, there are a lot of ranchers and farmers, and a few real cowboys; there's a lot more cowboys in more rural areas away from the resort towns. It's actually not too common to see anyone wearing the 13MWZ. I couple years ago, I saw a real legit cowboy couple (in Costco of all places; there's one here in Gypsum, near the airport, about 4 miles from my home), that looked like they just walked out of the pages of Mountain Cowboy Today, in the best possible way. Both were tall and strikingly handsome/beautiful people. Both were were wearing 13MWZ's and they both looked great. 

Wrangler is owned by a big corp, VF Corp, and they've expanded their range exponentially to to reach a broader market than just cowboys, ranchers and bull riders. 99% of their stuff is crap marketed towards young urban western/southern cow-folk. I have some of the western shirts in the Retro line, and the cut and fit on them suits me very well, and the patterns are pretty decent. I also picked up the 27406 Heritage Jacket at a flag ship store last fall (it was on sale, but prolly wasn't supposed to be; otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it), It's a great jacket; made from Cone Denim, but has some stretch. @Broark saw it when I visited Austin last fall. I have to post some pics of it in the jackets thread... 

@Rob060,

HS years are challenging years as young men try to find their place and identity in society while simultaneously having massive amounts of hormones suddenly crash their bodies and minds. 

I have more sorrow than anything for many of those Redneck kids you describe because they mostly belong to lower income families that are stuck in a paradigm that is harder and harder to find relevancy or success in this modern world. 

Edited by Pedro

38 minutes ago, Rob060 said:

I've never liked how Lee jeans have looked and always associated them with the dumbass hicks from my high school that wore cowboy hats and drove old raised trucks.

Did you go to high school in San Jose? I grew up there and there was no one at my school that fits that description. Although if you grew up in Gilroy or south-east SJ heading towards Gilroy/Hollister I could definitely see how you'd have those types of kids around in high school.

Tcb makes very high quality jeans and often are in the same league with stuff priced twice their cost. The most incredible price per value pair I have are chinese made jeans by Bob Dong, the model is called n31 and it's loosely based on the 47 cut, slim straight and high rise. I am wearing them everyday now because at the moment they are the only pair i have that fits and that's not too heavy for daily wear in warm weather, i bought them maybe five years ago and never worn them because back then they were too tight. They cost 30 usd (plus shipping from China). Fit, fabric and craftmanship are in a different league compared to everything can be bought for the same price. I havent worn them enough to tell how sturdy these will be, i believe wrangler pro rodeo are hard to beat as far as sturdyness is concerned.

Edited by volvo240thebest

Carhart carpenter jeans have stood the test of time.  I remember when people were upset when they switched manufacturing from USA to Mexico.  I never got into them but remembered that they are a common staple among carpenters and people of trade.

The Carhart Denim Loggers with double-knee used to hold up better than the Brown Duct Double-knee. 

There was a brand of double-front denim USA-Made that held up much better than Carharts that were only available through logging outfitters called “Wild Ass” Denim. Then they went overseas and their customer base has no use for foreign products and walked away.

Well they started making them again with US denim and made by prisoners in Oregon.

I always wore the cuffs unhemmed and frayed which looked bad ass over a pair of worn-in Whites or Wesco.

Also come in single-knee. 

Both Raw.

https://www.baileysonline.com/wild-ass-us-made-single-front-logger-pants-p100wa.html

Edited by Pedro