Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

"I find this profoundly sad, especially since I know many fabric shops who have tried to buy large quantities of denim directly from Cone and never recieved replies to their numerous email inquiries. My understanding was that their ordering department was either very disorganized, or utterly uninterested in diversifying their customer base with non-manufacturing clients."

I don’t think they had that much denim left over in the warehouse to sell - most of their production is probably bespoke, made-to-order and pre-booked. A lot of these “potential customers” were probably not willing to put money down on future denim...

Anyone in London going to the below tonight? Rudy (owner of Son of a Stag) seems to be opening a store aimed at denim repairs, alteration, etc. Looks pretty fucking cool store from the outside. 

fa4bf03cbe.jpg

Well, I bought my first Langlitz....hoodie.  Ordered it through the phone from their shop as they don't currently offer a webshop.  Can't wait to wear it as the ones offered in Japan/Lahaina etc are too expensive IMO for made in USA.  Langlitz Japan just does the screen printing while the sweatshirts are sent directly from Langlitz.  Next Langlitz will be leather as I haven't worn a nice leather jacket in years.

24 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Well, I bought my first Langlitz....hoodie.  Ordered it through the phone from their shop as they don't currently offer a webshop.  Can't wait to wear it as the ones offered in Japan/Lahaina etc are too expensive IMO for made in USA.  Langlitz Japan just does the screen printing while the sweatshirts are sent directly from Langlitz.  Next Langlitz will be leather as I haven't worn a nice leather jacket in years.

If you do get a chance to goto Portland I highly recommend visiting their shop. When I bought my Langlitz I got to try on a few sizes for their off the rack options to see what worked best for me. I'm pretty lucky since I work about a mile a way from their shop. 

Any of you doing denim-related Halloween costumes? I was thinking of Travis Bickle from the movie "Taxi Driver" for this year. I love the movie and he's a badass character. Plus I have most of the costume already: BR M65, aviator sunglasses, (enough) denim jeans, flannel shirt and RW Pecos.

DickSmithTaxiDriver_large.jpg

taxi_driver10.jpeg

taxi_driver8.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Outdoorsman said:

Any of you doing denim-related Halloween costumes? I was thinking of Travis Bickle from the movie "Taxi Driver" for this year. I love the movie and he's a badass character. Plus I have most of the costume already: BR M65, aviator sunglasses, (enough) denim jeans, flannel shirt and RW Pecos.

DickSmithTaxiDriver_large.jpg

taxi_driver10.jpeg

taxi_driver8.jpeg

I'll wear my Weirdo Glad Hand Frankie tshirt, that's about it.  Already did costumes on Saturday!

On 10/27/2017 at 12:37 PM, ElTadashi said:

If you do get a chance to goto Portland I highly recommend visiting their shop. When I bought my Langlitz I got to try on a few sizes for their off the rack options to see what worked best for me. I'm pretty lucky since I work about a mile a way from their shop. 

The Cascade and Comstock looks promising.  Hoping they're not exclusive to the JP market. Those two styles I really like.  Saw a crazy all white Death Head Cascade on Ken Igari of Langlitz Leathers Japan.  

IMG_1759.PNG

IMG_1766.PNG

Edited by mlwdp

The "standard cascade" I what I have. I'm sure they some of the more exclusive models are likely available through custom order. Also another perk about visiting the shop is they have a collection of vintage jackets for sale.

Any new instagrams you're all following lately (or any sources of inspiration)? I've been pretty vocal on my distaste for the "curated menswear lifestyle" types who all seem to be the same guy with the same camera rolling up their selvedge skinnies to expose their Chup's and Viberg's; I'm getting super burnt out on the whole scene and am in desperate need of inspiration :/

Just follow one Japanese biker (preferably a Harley/Indian/Triumph rider)on Instagram and it leads you down a wormhole of clothing styles and ideas.  They actually put their clothing to "work".  That's all I follow anyway.  

Edited by mlwdp

1 hour ago, aho said:

I've been pretty vocal on my distaste for the "curated menswear lifestyle" types who all seem to be the same guy with the same camera rolling up their selvedge skinnies to expose their Chup's and Viberg's; I'm getting super burnt out on the whole scene and am in desperate need of inspiration :/

you're not alone. it's for this very reason that I cancelled my IG account awhile ago. seriously got tired of the rolled cuff, sock/boot thing among others. pretty silly.

@aho that's mostly why I don't follow menswear fashion posts except for Inoue, OOE, and some fellow sufu'ers. I stick to more nature shots. Check out @thevisualcollective and @natgeo on IG they might be my favorite. 

Unfortunately/fortunately IG is my favorite medium for my other interests, but honestly I've had to unfollow a few denim type accounts the past few days. You'd think after all these years the "lifestyle" types (not sure what else to call them) would burn themselves out, or at least want to try something new, but I guess all of the likes truly become an addiction and keeps fueling them on. That said, all the Japanese dudes are still keeping it real which I can appreciate. Just frustrating to think that in a way we built this monster (workwear fashunz aka city lumberjack?), or it at least came out of all we hold true and dear (denim, vintage, quality products made ethically with soul to obsessive lengths) to the point that it's become a factory molded disingenuous trend ripe with product placement and sponsors. Workwear is truly dead! But maybe it's up to us to revive it?

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Just follow one Japanese biker (preferably a Harley/Indian/Triumph rider)on Instagram and it leads you down a wormhole of clothing styles and ideas.  They actually put their clothing to "work".  That's all I follow anyway.  

I post that same b.s. with engineer boots instead if that interests you :D:D

Tell me I didn't miss something incredible in his Stories, now lost forever! :P (I kid, we know Ed probably saved it.)

Aho, there's plenty of great accounts out there, what specifically are you looking for? Truth be told I mostly follow vintage collectors, but there's lots of cool, non-"curated" people on IG too. A lot of the cool kids are going in the Timeworn/At Last & Co. direction, but there are others.

Some accounts that have recently come to my attention:

https://www.instagram.com/guzhuokangzheng/

https://www.instagram.com/tipewa/

https://www.instagram.com/ttnn_xx/

https://www.instagram.com/callumscott13/

https://www.instagram.com/routeone_shoes/

https://www.instagram.com/kazukikodaka/

https://www.instagram.com/john_b.stetson_tokyo/

Edited by Iron Horse

17 hours ago, aho said:

That said, all the Japanese dudes are still keeping it real which I can appreciate.

That's pretty much all I follow these days outside of shop profiles, vintage stores and you guys from Sufu.
My favorite lately is @fksmtys who I guess works for Yawara Miura at the YM Factory. He posts comparisons between vintage jeans and CSF stuff.
But I'm very tired of the urban lumberjack thing. My explore page is full of that.

18 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Just do what a lot perverts do on Instagram: oogle women and comment on their pics with "Sho bewbs bb" :D

I used to follow Aegis Handcraft on IG and she would often show fit pics of jeans she has in her collection. Needless to say, there would always be some lewd comment left by some pervert that says something predictable like, "nice ass." Not only is it tasteless for IG users to say stuff like this but Jess never posted pics to say, "hey, look at my ass." they were always fit pics to show how certain jeans have worked for her and nothing more. must be irritating for her to deal with a-holes like that on a constant basis.