Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

"You just an APC wearing bitch

You ain't got no chainstitch,

I got train tracks, whiskers, combs

You got nuthin' on yours homes,

When you see my hige and atari

Then you really gone be sorry"

"What are you talking about - APC?

Bitch the only acronym I wear is TSG

because everytime I rap, I Strike Gold

So better keep quiet, I'll make you look old

Keep your mouth shut, or you'll awaken my ONI

And then it will be over for you stupid-ass phony

You will open your eyes - in the I C U

And I'll be there smiling in my EVISU"

Maybe unrelated but does anyone have experience wearing shell cordovan in all weather?  I really love shell but I don't love it as much as I hate babying boots.  So I'd wear them rain, shine, slush or snow.  I have read up that shell was originally used mainly for this purpose of being stronger than cow hide but I wasn't sure if it works in modern practice.

"Your denim-fading prowess is a mutha-f***in' mess,

First I take your lame TLAs and then I raise

The stakes to the skies, say bye bye to your Levi's

With their back pocket bar-tacking and rear rivets that they're lacking

I will send them packing then it's your face I'll be smackin'

Into my denim mount and you'll be out for the Full Count"

Maybe unrelated but does anyone have experience wearing shell cordovan in all weather?  I really love shell but I don't love it as much as I hate babying boots.  So I'd wear them rain, shine, slush or snow.  I have read up that shell was originally used mainly for this purpose of being stronger than cow hide but I wasn't sure if it works in modern practice.

from what i know, horsehide (and shell cordovan should be the best of it) should be better than cowhide, so you shouldn't worry. then again, you should not need to worry about quality cowhide boots either.

i still think horse is better, but nowadays this discussion is mostly a prestige thing.

edit: but caring for your leather is actually a good thing, with horse butt cleaning should suffice - and that is far from babying for boots.

edit2: don't know about your boots, but you should definitely care for your leather soles, as these are eating all the shit you throw at them. and either water and salt (winter) are both leather killers.

but there is a thread about quality shoes in here, ask there too, and don't forget to show your boots :-D

Edited by Blue Nemo

I've actually had decent luck with my leather soled 1K's in the winter.  I do keep a horse hair brush near the door and try and knock off excess salt from the side when I come in but they've held up fairly well.  They do need a resole but even the Vibram heel is messed up so that is just from everyday wear and tear.

"You heard it here, you heard it live,

I'm down with the Osaka Five

If it ain't rigid

It ain't legit

And only bitches still wear Samurais"

Of course mf has the illest rhymes.

We need one more post from each of you two to crown the sufu free style champ.

Edited by bradl

while we are on the topic of LVC, why so much hate? 

There's a certain amount of frustration seeing the brand that's supposed to represent American blue jean history doing what could be considered at best to be an average job.  And then asking $100 to $125 too much for the jeans?  Of course people aren't going to like you.     

Edited by setterman

^ Chuck in the fact that about the same time they outsourced most of the manufacturing to Turkey & Portugal they hiked the prices. That was a bit rough.

I was a big fan of Unis chino's as well and they were made in America and recently outsourced to Portugal and prices seem to have remained the same. Guess someone has to save money somewhere.

Yeah, and that is what I don't get. I mean, not the capitalism thing, I get that, but Levis is such a huge, global company. They have to make so much money with their crap line, the standard stuff, that I do not get why they also had to force even more money out of LVC.

I mean, the whole volume of sales of LVC can only be a teardrop compared to the ocean of Levis sales. So why not do a good thing, just for once, out of fun, out of passion, whatever. But nooo, of course not, they had to press even more money out of LVC!

I don't know for certain but I reckon there's a bit of Levi's wanting to keep the LVC line alive and true to its roots, but the profits it generated just probably weren't enough to justify its existence - it could have even been making a loss. Solution looks like producing overseas, increasing prices and packing the collection with an inordinate amount of high margin stuff like t shirts & sweaters. LVC used to carry a handful of staple tees from each decade, now there's all kinds of ugly stuff. Ultimately it sucks but business is business.

Might be wrong but I think the raw denim may have gone back to being US made now.

Any way, I'm moaning now. Sorry all.

Edited by unders

I got my Randolph sunglasses yesterday.  57mm polarized lens version.  I really like them.  The lenses are amazing.  May actually be better lenses than my vintage 80's Ray Ban aviators I got from my dad back in his Navy days.  Not quite as good frames, though.  Really lightweight, really comfortable and I think they look pretty good!  I was nervous about the sizing if I needed 57mm or 61mm and I think I got it right.

lIuEqxi.png?1

Edited by dwilson123

Love the shape of Randolph aviators, AO also, but can't justify more sunglasses when I have perfectly good pair of Raybans!

Yeah I didn't exactly need them but the matte black polarized 57mm were in stock at STP and with a 35% coupon I think it ended up running me around $80.  It was really the only pair I was interested in and when they popped up there I just grabbed em.

• 2 weeks later...

i feel like the super fast fading of the 21oz is kind of like it's niche i saw a post someone made who wore them for the HDWC2 and they were gorgeous i think it's just something that makes them unique. plus its probably like that to keep cot low too much time spent dying would obviously raise the cost of the denim.

Unbranded gets some hate but their 21oz denim IMO is an amazing value. Decent cut options and good looking fades

I don't think that there is that much hate for Unbranded, they are perfectly fine for what they are trying to do. The thing is though that people for whom denim is a hobby are actually interested in all the details Unbranded (consciously) lacks. So there is no real point in discussing them, because (to us) they are not interesting at all. So no hate, they just operate in a completely different space than the brand we're interested in IMO.