Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

2 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Good thing (almost?) none of us are cowboys and that most people who wore jeans weren't either. 

You haven't seen Edwin's construction work! :D

12 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

Putting on my old shoes with a new pair of pants always puts me off. But new shoes wit an old pair of pants I don’t mid.

why?

Blue denim jacket with black jeans sends my ocd wild... hell no!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

17 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You haven't Edwin's construction work! :D

Blue denim jacket with black jeans sends my ocd wild... hell no!

That's not cowboy though. Probably tougher on the clothes though.

Controversial maybe but I'm also a believer in blue and black denim (either combo)...sometimes. It depends. But totally doable. No rules! 

Black jacket & blue jeans is classic for me… not as sure about the reverse, but why not? i ran into my friend this morning wearing a blue denim jacket with black-n-bleach patterned loose 505s… it was a great outfit as far as im concerned!

Yep, go for it!.., i'm currently wearing shorts with flowers on and a t-shirt with cats on.. but if double-contrasting-denim drives my ocd wild, that's out of my control.. it might be down to nature.. it might be down to nurture.. i'm accepting zero blame.

..but please! there are 'rules' we've all seen the ugly jeans thread :D

Anybody else here experiences the “if it’s not Japanese than I’m not buying it” syndrome? Even if I know the quality is there, even if I know the western body design will fit my body better, it still doesn’t matter and I keep thinking “if it was Japanese it was probably better”. I know I’m obviously wrong, it’s just a voice in my head that keep popping. 

I've gone through phases with that before, but no longer really feel that way. The Japanese thing is often the best-constructed, but that's really just one factor. My Freenote waxed canvas jacket is as nice as any Japanese jacket I've handled and fits great, for example. My favorite T-shirts I've worn are from Lone Flag and made in the USA, and fit, feel, and have lasted as long as Japanese tees that didn't feel as good.

I've given up on Japanese t-shirts. I buy armour lux/ Muji/ M&S and so on now. They are just more flattering fits.

TFH THC are great  but I'm tired  of boxy fits

18 minutes ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@Geeman whitesville?

@Cold Summer it’s not even the durability thing. I knowingly accept that all things fall apart with time. It’s mainly the how beautifully it falls apart, and the quality of the fabrics.

Looked but never tried,  what's the length and neck opening like?

I like a close fitting neck and a length that doesn't just skim my belt...

On 6/3/2023 at 7:30 AM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Anybody else here experiences the “if it’s not Japanese than I’m not buying it” syndrome? Even if I know the quality is there, even if I know the western body design will fit my body better, it still doesn’t matter and I keep thinking “if it was Japanese it was probably better”. I know I’m obviously wrong, it’s just a voice in my head that keep popping. 

I used to think this way until I actually owned several Japanese brands that were underwhelming. I think it depends on the specific garment you’re buying/wearing and how much you’re abusing that item of clothing. Some Japanese brands are worse than others but social media hype keeps them alive. I tend to give jeans a pass because those will disintegrate over time regardless. 

20 hours ago, Geeman said:

Looked but never tried,  what's the length and neck opening like?

I like a close fitting neck and a length that doesn't just skim my belt...

They tick both boxes but I guess this varies depending on body type. 

@ColonelAngus yes I agree. This might stem from the fact that I don’t really do a lot of manual labor other than the odd job around the house and some gardening. My job is kinda outdoorsy but not to the point that I need actual workwear and so this whole thing here is mainly about style for me. I don’t baby my clothes in any way but it really comes down to how things age beautifully (again, not speaking about durability), and it just doesn’t happen with for me with non Japanese brands. I’ve had several jeans and jackets from American or European brands but it just never hits the spot. 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

I still think that it’s mostly limited to a few brands doing better raw denim than anywhere else - but it’s not about the quality moreso the whole package. That, and if I want something closer to a vintage “American” garment but new I think they’ll do the better - or maybe just more desirable for me versions (trousers or whatever else). I’ve had a few pretty disappointing mij things as well. 

For most other stuff I don’t think that way. Esp things like pullovers/sweaters. 

I do think that - at least here in the US - if you get some MIJ stuff from Japan they are a better value for the quality than something comparable from domestic retailer. I’ve gotten a few knits from Jackman over the past year - straight from Japan - and while not cheap they are fantastic quality esp for the Japanese price. 

14 hours ago, Geeman said:

Is there a difference between the whitesville 2 pack and the whitesville toyo enterprise branded 2 pack?

I’m not really sure what you mean. I got mine from hinoya if that helps. If you’re not sure share a link of both. 

@mlwdp I’ve only used buyee from the options you gave. I’d recommend Fromjapan as well, but it’s mainly for the whole VAT issue. 

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

I've used ZenMarket. I signed up for Buyee but felt uneasy about giving them direct access to my Paypal.

@Geeman 

Have you tried Sunray Sportswear? 
Designed in Cornwall and then MIJ -plenty of colours. Look decent, although I haven’t handled them. 
I’ve just received a mailer from Peggs & Sons featuring these t-shirts.

Edited by UkeNo

23 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@ColonelAngus yes I agree. This might stem from the fact that I don’t really do a lot of manual labor other than the odd job around the house and some gardening. My job is kinda outdoorsy but not to the point that I need actual workwear and so this whole thing here is mainly about style for me. I don’t baby my clothes in any way but it really comes down to how things age beautifully (again, not speaking about durability), and it just doesn’t happen with for me with non Japanese brands. I’ve had several jeans and jackets from American or European brands but it just never hits the spot. 

I don’t baby my clothes either. I have a pair of shorts from a Japanese brand, who shall remain nameless, that didn’t live up to my expectations. Within the first year the front button came off, which I sewed back on, and then the right front pocket bag developed a gaping hole, presumably from my keys. Now, I get that denim/shorts will wear and tear faster than tops but a button falling off and pocket bag holes isn’t what I expected in the first year considering how much I paid for them. Made me a little irritated that I likely could’ve gotten more mileage out of a cheap $30 pair of shorts from Target.

29 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

I don’t baby my clothes either. I have a pair of shorts from a Japanese brand, who shall remain nameless, that didn’t live up to my expectations. Within the first year the front button came off, which I sewed back on, and then the right front pocket bag developed a gaping hole, presumably from my keys. Now, I get that denim/shorts will wear and tear faster than tops but a button falling off and pocket bag holes isn’t what I expected in the first year considering how much I paid for them. Made me a little irritated that I likely could’ve gotten more mileage out of a cheap $30 pair of shorts from Target.

Why keep them nameless?

I guess I'm old school but it's not some evil deed to issue well deserved and honest spirited criticism. I guess that's what going through a career in arts and journalism does to you, but I wish people would get more critical and that the recipients not see it as a personal attack. It would be useful for the forum. Like, when I say my warehouse jean stitching is comparatively fragile, it doesn't mean I don't like the individuals involved or that I wish the brand ill will. It does mean I probably won't buy them again unless there are direct reports of efforts to increase cotton stitching durability as other brands seem to have little problem doing.