Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

It’s not even in Yorkshire damit!

im no anthropologist .. and I’m conscious of making sweeping generalisations but I think back in time a group of travelling idiots stumbled upon chesterfield, settled and had children with resident idiots giving us a group of super fucking idiots.. years later, we are where we are.. they’re buying our clothing without the slightest consideration to whether it will fit or not.. blaming the fortunate people who can count for their inability to..

^^ ... and living cheek to jowl with their Sheffield neighbours resulted in further breeding creating the modern day greater Sheffield area :)

Coincidentally Boy Wonder was playing footy in nearby Matlock, of all places, t'other week and the bizzies came into the car park with the game in full flight, surrounded a mini car, hauled out the driver, cuffed him and into the meat wagon he went... then the mini owner turned up saying the kid had hopped in and nicked her mini off her... in sleepy ole Matlock of all places... his name may have been Paul...

I used to go in most Saturdays when they first opened.. Steve was still cutting hair downstairs and Nige was on the ground floor with his bulldog and his mix of vintage and new clobber.. he would pop out for a coffee and folks would snatch and grab his trimm trab while Steve was supposed to be keeping an eye on the place :D back then Tibb st had much more character before it was gentrified.. with it's seedy sex shops and it's even seedier basemant army surplus... i could park outside for next to nothing and stay for hours on a parking meter.. i remember driving over there at night to see the first NC collection before it was quickly sold and shipped out, Oi was briefly at the cutting edge of British menswear back then.. i never went to their new joint.

There was a tv show in the 00s where Mary Portas would take folks who had completely lost their way (shirts tucked into sweatpants ect) shopping and show them how to put an outfit together.. when it was in Manchester, Nige was on the show offering his sagely advice B)

I think it Oi lost it's way years before it was swallowd up by JD.. that whole aspect of knowledge driven carefully curated menswear is impossible in the face of retail behemoths like End who've turned it into catalogue shopping with free returns.. stocking all the same brands you do and a thousand more besides.. even if you stumble upon something new.. the buyers are all at the same trade shows and End have the buying power to take everything on SOR... you don't stand a chance as an indy b+m menswear retailer.

I've kept the first few copies of 'Rig Out' when it was still put out as a tangible magazine, just for posterity.. i'll dig them out when the lazy fk's get out of bed.. i've also got the first few CD's they put out on B-Music compiled by Andy Votel of Finders Keepers from across the road..

Didn’t JD buy the Duffer of St George years ago? I remember cringing when I saw a Duffer diffusion range on sale in Debenhams about 20 years ago (‘Duffer for Debenhams’?). Why was I in Debenhams in the first place though?!

The short-lived London shop must have cost Oi Polloi a bit and perhaps that failed venture forced them to jump into bed with JD?

Over the years they've pulled a few collabs together.. Oi x Addidas trainers such and such.. which have usually been facilitated by the JD group so they've always had a working partnership..I don't think it was forced, i'd speculate that Steve and Nige saw the writing on the wall and offered it for sale  to JD while the books showed the business was still in profit.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

They're up,... lazy twats!

Issue 1 was a small pamphlet.. mainly consisting of Brownie fanying around on his narrow boat.. with instructions on how to re-proof an old Barbour.. this was years before Bandit showed us how to reproof a Mulholland :D

fullsizeoutput_3968.thumb.jpeg.3dc604d4f3307c5c3589bc0dc0ed5802.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3969.thumb.jpeg.d34006846c42f8b5d92af55806dae0ac.jpeg

Issue 2 has interviews with Daiki Suzuki, this pre-dates his interviews for Inventory magazine

fullsizeoutput_396c.thumb.jpeg.a0694702e2e077aa1d2620f30eaa7951.jpeg

..and with Nepenthes

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I have fond memories of been treated with complete disdain in the "new" store due to my non manc accent....despite regular custom.

The original store had a better vibe although my memory of those years is somewhat fuzzy....

I actually met the guys from JB / Momotaro there once when JB started to be a available over here then 2 weeks later met them again in a too in brum.

On the subject of fuzzy memories and Manchester I read these 2 articles last week about the kitchen and Konspiracies, which gave me my fondest memories of rave and 'high' lights of clubbing. Funny I thought the fridge came after konspiracies and it seemed we were always up there.... turns out fridge was the place that birthed the club and the club itself only lasted a few months.

https://iumag.co.uk/konspiracy-klub-madchester-1989-1990-2nd-summer-of-love/

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nzmd8z/haienda-konspiracy-manchester-acid-house-feature

This is the first CD they put out

B7DBAA76-5E9F-46BE-9096-E94B894B4229.thumb.jpeg.0c058bec257e49ffe4cd2c81407b70b1.jpeg

7BEA7978-6EFF-4889-983C-6EC19DF792DE.thumb.jpeg.2ed5f4cf9ede50214a1ea997ddc44e9d.jpeg

..this is the first time I’ve actually opened the inlay, I thought it was just a card but it’s a little booklet with a write up for the first shop with Nigel’s dog

1F3E3ADA-EB8C-4F66-9EBD-60603C587B8D.thumb.jpeg.d2540f21debdd7ec7071340b6a613573.jpeg

..if you can zoom it, each song comes from a nation which relates to a brand they carry..

39CB6720-43B3-415F-96A7-4C4F1D0E5718.thumb.jpeg.83e6684f0bac7a881ffaf030c98e365c.jpeg

5C71456F-0A52-4C3E-9A23-0E7350224C2E.thumb.jpeg.7254b59bed6d74bcaca0e8356126cff6.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

It's not very often i put the tv on and for good reason!

Sunday night the film we were watching had finished streaming so i pulled the HDMI out of the laptop and left the tv on some random channel just for some light.. those two went to clean their teeth, put the light on.. i went to put the bin out, brought my bike in, fed the cat and so on.. when i came back to switch everything off there was an advert on the tv for a show on Discovery+ .. i'm not sure if i get this channel or not, we only have Freeview..

The show was called 'MILF Manor'.. no, honestly.. it's true!! they get a group of MILFS and stick them in a (you guessed it) Manor then they get a group of horny highschool jock types who have to hook'up with these woman who're old enough to be their grandmother but they're wearing bikinis.. the jocks just wear regular clothes.

I'm not sure who's actually getting exploited.. maybe it's just the viewers :D

Safer to stay on the Denim Dilf Duderanch that is Sufu! 

I just Googled it and it gets worse. All the young men are the sons of the milfs, so they’re getting off with each other’s mums! Bonkers! :laugh2:

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Is the Karen genre still untapped by television?

The producers of MILF Manor could set up a shopping mall which has to be negotiated by a series of unwitting Karen's the contestants are desperate young folks who have to do a series of tasks like walking dogs, skateboarding and serving them food.. whoever get's away unscathed has their student load paid off.

Inevitably there would be scope for a future series of Karen's Vs MILFS in a battle royale..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

• 5 weeks later...

I've been a bit absent of late.. during that snow we had a couple of months ago my outside toilet at the top of the garden sprung a leak, the lead pipe carrying mains pressure water split.. alas we didn't notice until 6 weeks later because we only use it for storage.. ow! it's total carnage in there so i've been ripping it out, laying bricks. repointing, making a new door and door frame, replacing the ceiling and such.. the problem has been compounded because the damn stop tap on the path is fucked so i still can't shut the fkin water off.. i've stopped the leak by cranking a series of jubliee clips around the lead pipe with mole grips.. hopefully Yorkshire Water will be out soon and fit a working stop tap!.. i've removed the old toilet so i'll use the mains feed to an outside tap instead.. that way i can clean my bikes with a hose instead of filling the watering can from the kitchen sink B)

..anyway, check this crazy biz which happened t'other week.. I went to work to fetch some stuff/tools.. one of which is a sheet of Scandi ply which I’m using as a tressle table then when I’ve done, I’ll cut it to size and line the ceiling with it.. I shoved it in the back of the Volvo but I couldn’t fully close the boot.. no biggie, I’ve got 2x carabiner bungees which I use to hold the boot down, the boot was still slightly open about a foot so I put most of my tools in the footwell of the passenger side, the only thing in the boot was this 25kg bucket with all my pointing gear, it's not small (notice the crack in the lid)..

IMG_1360.thumb.JPG.320a6f2c559202f1664625a7b4b2da46.JPG

.. in there was my lump hammer.. some castings which i was going to use to hold the lead flashing down after i'd sealed under it.. my cold chisels, trowels, pallette knives, some sand (probs 12kg) some cement and 17.5kg of pea gravel to fill the hole left by the toilet.. i'd estimate the bucket weighed around 40kg so i didn't think it was going anywhere..

..anywho.. less than 5 mins from home, the bucket slid out of the boot.. i was probably doing less than 10mph, i stopped in the middle of the road and put the hazard warning lights on and i started walking down the road to pick the bucket up, it wasn't even 9am on a Saturday morning so it was quiet.. a Peugeot RCZ was coming up the street probably 200meters away.. they couldn't go anywhere because my car was blocking the street,, but they didn't stop and just crashed straight into the bucket sending trowels and pallette knives and 17.5kg of pea gravel scattering all over the road.. i shrugged, shook my head and started picking up my tools... a woman got out of the car and said.. "i'm so sorry, i thought i could just drive over it and it would pass between the wheels" .. what the actual fcuk? seriously?. that's your grasp of spatial awareness? .. even a fkin Landrover wouldn't clear it!

Her radiator was leaking, her bumper was hanging off but she still drove away.. it's not like she could even get past.. my car was parked in the middle of the road with the hazzards flashing and the drivers door open so she still had to wait till i collected my shiz and moved..  facepalm!