Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

10 hours ago, MJF9 said:

What is a traditional Indian restaurant in your eyes anyway?

It's a fact that India is a mix of Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists etc etc (forgive me those who I've missed), despite the reported efforts to force-change that mix 

So traditional Indian literally has many flavours - let's not forget that

I therefore expect it's 100% ok for traditional Indian Christian restaurants to serve wine; traditional Indian Muslim restaurants to serve only Halal; etc etc... non of that would be insensitive in the setting based on the respective tradition

That's correct, India is a country of many cultures and religions. Nevertheless, when we say "Indian," we most likely and often mean the Hindu tradition, which among other things has clear dietary rules closely related to the concept of the three gunas: sattva (goodness, bliss, harmony), rajas (passion, activity), and tamas (ignorance, inertia, laziness). It is the dominant tradition in the country of India, to which the majority of the population adheres. This is why, for example, you cannot buy meat products or wine in large supermarkets, although if you look around you can find places, usually devoid of eye-catching signs and advertisements, that sell each. For consumption by the Tamasic type people, I guess :cool:

12 hours ago, chicote said:

Plenty of people have come to this community in the decade I’ve been part of it who just haven’t fit in, and there are a handful who are pretty memorable among them. My hope is that, one day, we can get to a point where none of us have to watch or restrict what we say or how we think to such an extent, and where none of us, broadly speaking, have to feel ashamed for the way we are.

There have been some doozies!.. one of my favourites was in the early days of the Loopwheel thread.. in those days there was hardly any info available online re-loopwheel machines so most of what we were discussing was first hand knowledge mixed with some hearsay.. some super-agro dude called 'whatever123' claimed industry knowledge and he had a lot of great photos to add weight to his argument.. he absolutely adored and hero worshiped Gordon Hefner but despised Kiya with a vengeance.. i wasn't entirely convinced by his loopy discourse so i took the images from his PB account which he claimed were his (you had to self-host in those days) did a reverse image search and i found the exact images of the 'working loopwheeler' in the back room of the Loopwheeler store in Tokyo it was just a museum piece for display purposes..  I called him out about his bullshit.. of course :D .. and it transpired that the PB account was registered to someone called Tyson or Tyrone or something.. the same name of the dude who'd been ringing and emailing Selfedge to harass the staff...aaah genius! :D.. Sadly the mods pulled all his posts from the board. I'm sure some of you will remember it fondly.

..and who could forget this thread.. a man so overwhelmed by his own self importance.. he was posting about his criminal operation on sufu for rep points.. the wealth just not enough to satisfy his outragous ego.. you just don't get this forum gold on Instagram B)

Edited by Double 0 Soul

9 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Thoughts on the SHOP option and app showing up when purchasing from overseas or US shops? 

I find it quite quite useful for tracking shipments although it doesn’t show all shipping companies, however i find it intrusive when it keeps popping up as a payment option which I’m not interested in.

12 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Thoughts on the SHOP option and app showing up when purchasing from overseas or US shops? 

I found it never actually updated to delivered for overseas purchases. In fact once you get the shipping email it's not much use, just a fancy app.....

I do have a link somewhere for a service you put any tracking number and destination country and it locates your package and last update pretty useful when ordering from Japan/Thailand and it shipped via their domestic postal service 

53 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

You can't stop, can you?

OK, I'll answer: I'm not relying on opinionated media, but on my own experience of living and traveling in various parts of India, cumulatively for several years altogether. Veg menu is default through the country. And no, you can’t drop into pub near the Christian church in India, no such culture. 

l will stop here, thank you.

Edited by Talan

I’ve enjoyed both vegetarian and meat respectively in my travels in India.  A simple fact.

Hindu is definitely the majority – 1 billion people

However, there are over 200 million ‘other’ people in India (including Christian, Muslim. Sikh, Buddhist +++... like I said previously)

I’m all for deep analytical and categorical thinking… however, it appears – intentionally or unintentionally - you’re highly focussed on only your category of one while discounting or marginalising the other multiple categories

200 million is 3x the size of the UK – so a significant number of people

Further, neither can Indian and Pakistani folk be conflated as could be inferred from a previous post… I have both sets of friends… even the fierce cricket rivalry makes national affiliations very clear

Of course, it’s your choice of course to ignore all the above facts

Now I’m back to the fades…

Edited by MJF9

On 2/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, Duke Mantee said:

So you’re saying @pomata asked a stupid question because it wasn’t specific enough? Well that’s cleared things up!

Cheers Neal :laugh2:

I missed ethnic from the question completely and just listed a bunch of restaurants that I like. Sorry @pomata some are ethnically not Northern European though…

12 minutes ago, fre-co said:

I missed ethnic from the question completely and just listed a bunch of restaurants that I like. Sorry @pomata some are ethnically not Northern European though…

@fre-co no problem mate. I checked those from your list and it looks like they would all be worth a visit. unfortunately some of them are far from where we will stay

I asked for ethnic food just because I heard it's really good in London but would love to try some traditional British dishes as well. whatever a local sufuer suggests, you know!

and thanks again!

8 hours ago, NilsLW said:

I tried talking to the AI over at Chatgtp about denim, here are some fun excerpts from our conversation.
Overall, the standard is pretty high I'd say.

1511330385_Skrmavbild2023-02-22kl_22_50_08.thumb.png.4bb91b892eef169fa85da312beb7bec8.png
1115729356_Skrmavbild2023-02-22kl_22_49_53.thumb.png.0ca76135b64f82b33b687f9260546d28.png
1097428627_Skrmavbild2023-02-22kl_23_01_35.thumb.png.f5bdea432dd9a5cc3845c58b9f0ad49d.png
1939972252_Skrmavbild2023-02-22kl_22_56_05.thumb.png.e401e558e4098070c215667bb5c44c89.png

I have chatted with ChatGPT several times, for curiosity's sake and because I wanted to know its capabilities. Usually the answers are quite sophisticated, though not always correct. What is interesting is that AI corrects inaccuracies very quickly. For example, a few days ago, in an answer to a question about Karl Renz, a neo-advaitist thinker, the Chat indicated that Renz was dead, which is incorrect, which I pointed out to the AI. Since that, the chat room is giving a more correct reference about Renz. There are other examples of the same as well.

@Talan The AI is certainly quite sophisticated and interesting in some ways. However, it’s answers are always based on already existing information from the internet, it will never take any individual standpoints about anything. That’s why my interest wore off quite quickly. For example, if asked which reproduction is truer to a 1966 single stitch 501, the TCB 60s or the Resolute 710, it will simply state the specifications of each jean and leave no further analysis or more in depth comparison.

1 hour ago, NilsLW said:

@Talan The AI is certainly quite sophisticated and interesting in some ways. However, it’s answers are always based on already existing information from the internet, it will never take any individual standpoints about anything. That’s why my interest wore off quite quickly. For example, if asked which reproduction is truer to a 1966 single stitch 501, the TCB 60s or the Resolute 710, it will simply state the specifications of each jean and leave no further analysis or more in depth comparison.

I suppose that I would cause a barrage of attacks here again, but the so-called "individual standpoints" are all borrowed. In general, any thought is borrowed, none of which we create or can create independently of outside influence or conditioning. In this sense, any thinking is artificial. However, AI, unlike human thinking, has an ability of instant exponential development and speed learning.

9 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m pretty sure that intelligence was always artificial - but I’m dreading the AI snowflake 

Not necessary, Mike. The machine has been handling numbers zillions of times better than humans for a long time now, and so far we're doing just fine, aren't we. Any intelligence will remain only an intelligence, not much more and beyond.

38 minutes ago, Talan said:

Not necessary, Mike. The machine has been handling numbers zillions of times better than humans for a long time now, and so far we're doing just fine, aren't we. Any intelligence will remain only an intelligence, not much more and beyond.

I think you’ve misunderstood buddy - I meant denim blogger’s intelligence was always artificial (no real understanding, no real research, just cut n paste) … but now I’ve explained it the sardonicism is gone.