Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

Same here - usually Tescos non bio or bold 3 in 1.

However, l must admit that most of the time l rarely use detergent with jeans, just rinse them through on there own :blush2:

We stopped using washing powder.. probably 20 yrs ago, we used to share drainage with the farm next door and once/yr our drains would get blocked.. the old pipes running over ours and our neighbours land hardly had any fall.. back in the days when we didn't have showers, washing machines, flushing toilets ect they would have been adequate.. we would flush a pint of milk down the toilet so we could figure out who's property was causing the blockage, lift the drain cover and it would slowly trickle through.. or not :D

We chipped in and bought our own rods rather than pay for Dynorod every year.. what we were rodding out was a long 6" dia solid core of thick white grainy paste with a 2" hole in the middle, we never put fat or oil down the drain, we used to pour it into a pickle jar and make bird balls with it (we still do) initially we thought someone other than us was pouring something down the drain so we asked our water company for drainage plans.. our neighbours garden became like a bog even in the summer so he paid for the substance to be analised and it was mainly washing powder which had dissolved in the 40ºC water but then solidified again in the cold drainage pipes building up thin layers of residue until the hole for the water was only 2" dia instead of 6.. we both switched to liquid and problem solved.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Interesting info on the powder. I just bought a pack yesterday :-( Won't anymore.
Our plumber told us years ago that the powder that is sold to dissolve blockages in the drain, rods is to be strictly avoided- it will soon turn into concrete like state. Also the liquid only- or even better hot water, I think.

In Germany here everybody has been "saving water" for many years- which generally is of course a good idea. Toilets most have two flushes, one for just a small amount of water. The problem is with not enough water flowing through the pipes get clogged up. We now have some cleaning trucks in our street about once a year where they use some very smelly chemicals to clean the pipes for a week. That wasn't the case before. Another example of unintended consequences.

Re detergent- a friend many years ago had a horrible skin irritation on his thigh. No doctor could tell, what the cause was. He then when to a naturopath or similar. That guy used some peculiar set of glass pipes and other stuff to determine that it was his detergent. He had used one of the more expensive ones. The naturopath recommended a cheap, discounter one. His skin healed quickly.

The only logical explanation is convenience culture.. folks with cash are prepared to pay well over the odds for someone else to take care of what they perceive as hassle.. peeps buy sliced mushrooms for £1.29 even though regular unsliced mushrooms are only £1 a pineapple is 79p but a plastic tub of pre-chopped pineapple is £1.85.. and don’t get me started carrot sticks... lazy fucks!

folks even outsource their ironing because they can’t be arsed and ‘life would be easier if I just paid someone else to do it’ ..

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

The only logical explanation is convenience culture.. folks with cash are prepared to pay well over the odds for someone else to take care of what they perceive as hassle.. peeps buy sliced mushrooms for £1.29 even though regular unsliced mushrooms are only £1 a pineapple is 79p but a plastic tub of pre-chopped pineapple is £1.85.. and don’t get me started carrot sticks... lazy fucks!

Totally agree. And dont even get me started on pre-packed grated cheese wtf.

Edited by Dr_Heech

We all appreciate the value of B&M stores and the additional cost we pay to have that luxury of trying on etc, but there's mark up and then there's MARK UP!!:blink:

Re, paying for convenience I'll sometimes pay a gardener or a decorator to do work I could do myself because times more important than the money in some cases. 

I've got a busy job for an international company so my hours aren't always 9-5 and a three year old running me ragged so I'd rather get a bloke in for a couple hours or even days and spend the time down the park (or pub!)or whatever 

However,  buying sliced mushrooms or peeled potatoes etc is nonsense aimed at people with more money than sense!

Yeah I'm prepared to pay to save time sometimes - any time that doesn't involve either work or childcare I'd rather not be doing annoying chores. But an extra £200 not to have click through a few pages of a website is crazy. And I quite like chopping vegetables. 

And not having to wear clothes that require ironing is high on my list of desiderata for a job.

Go for it! If you're capable, my mum made all my clothing when i was a kid, what she didn't make was hand-me-downs, in contrast, i don't own a sewing machine and can't even patch a hole without drawing blood from numerous puncture wounds :D but y'know, we all own a knife and i'm sure we can all slice a mushroom without having to pay someone else to do it...

3 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve started buying pre-chewed food recently. All you have to do is swallow it! :laugh2:

That's probably a good thing at your age to minimise dribbling :laugh:

Edited by MJF9

3 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve started buying pre-chewed food recently. All you have to do is swallow it! :laugh2:

It is not a fact that food is necessary in principle. Whiskey and other alcohol contains quite a few calories, etc.

Remember when i was bemoaning losing my old RayBan Caribbean's having left them hung on the tennis net?

I'm still trying to source another pair.. i spotted a pair this morning on ebay so i messaged the seller asking for the temple length (i didn't think it was an unreasonable request) B&L also made a kids/ladies version so i was just trying to ascertain thier size.. check out the response from this 100% possitive feedback seller with 2000+ sales.. :rolleyes:

fullsizeoutput_387e.thumb.jpeg.1c9c10d58957f0ed5020ddee68c2669a.jpeg

On 2/16/2023 at 2:24 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

What a coincidence! I've began offering a service where I dress up as a giant bird & regurgitate food for those who want an authentic chick experience. Sufu discount for you!

Bird costume CSL.jpg

Edited by CSL

15 hours ago, pomata said:

any suggestion on ethnic food in London? good restaurants or even street food? any suggestion woul be appreciated

Here are some favourites from me, pretty random selection from expensive to cheap(ish), around east, EC and north London mostly 

st John

quality chop house

mangal

Norman’s cafe

pophams bakery 

Dom’s subs

manteca

e mono 

smokestak

Street food is all over the place. Try looking at Kerb London, coal drops yard, Camden lock, white cross street market, depends where you are going to be. I wouldn’t trek too far for these places. 

Edited by fre-co