Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

The FrEaK-Family is planning their first big(ger) holiday this year [last year's holiday in Austria doesn't really cont IMO].
The destination will be South England, Bexhill-on-Sea to be more precisely (because my uncle has a holiday flat there).

Any tips from our UK residents what to do in that area with a 18 months old boy?! :D I guess a trip to London won't be so much fun for everybody involved ;) 

22 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I flicked the TV on last night and there was a docu on BBC2 called 'Fight The Power, How Hip-Hop Changed The World' .. i thought this might be good so i put it on and they was talking about Obama's links with Hip-Hop (ikr?) .. then it cut to Ice-T sitting in industrial unit and he said and i quote "and that's when Obama became the first Hip-Hop president" .:rolleyes:

Nope! switched that off.. wtf Ice-T, you used to be cool

..in 1988

he at least gave kendrick some love...

image.thumb.png.4d4fb035a9efe85a26b1d19557ce64ae.png

21 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I enjoyed this tho..  Adam Curtis's 2016 docu HyperNormalisation, it's on the i-player for those who can get it or here on Vimeo

yes yes: in particular this bit on Putin and his advisor Vladislav Surkov...

this book has interesting chapter on him... "Described as a 'cynic in velvet,' Surkov combined his political technology with a love of gangsta rap, Beat poetry, and writing postmodern fiction"

image.thumb.png.9fcb2393f131ccfe9484ec3ab049f124.png

[had got the book to see what if it had to say on Pepe / meme magic beliefs of online alt-right: it didn't, but I stayed for the Surkov section which also goes on to Alexander Dugin quite well...] 

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The FrEaK-Family is planning their first big(ger) holiday this year [last year's holiday in Austria doesn't really cont IMO].
The destination will be South England, Bexhill-on-Sea to be more precisely (because my uncle has a holiday flat there).

Any tips from our UK residents what to do in that area with a 18 months old boy?! :D I guess a trip to London won't be so much fun for everybody involved ;) 

culture-is wise outside of the Bexhill art space...

Derek Jarman's garden at Prospect Cottage is worth a visit; but really exposed, and with excellent back drop of nuclear power station; about 1hr drive... a weird end of the world place, maybe not for little babies...

https://www.creativefolkestone.org.uk/prospect-cottage/

here's a book ' Modern Nature' he wrote whilst ending his days there...

plus Charleston House is a 30-ish min drive from there [this is more tea rooms, interesting furnishings and modernist art history / queer history...]

https://www.charleston.org.uk/visit/

otherwise Hastings, Brighton, Eastbourne all nearby... 

plus there is a plethora of coast there; not all 'kiss-me-quick' hats and postcards...

28 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

yes yes: in particular this bit on Putin and his advisor Vladislav Surkov...

this book has interesting chapter on him... "Described as a 'cynic in velvet,' Surkov combined his political technology with a love of gangsta rap, Beat poetry, and writing postmodern fiction"

[had got the book to see what if it had to say on Pepe / meme magic beliefs of online alt-right: it didn't, but I stayed for the Surkov section which also goes on to Alexander Dugin quite well...] 

Putin was formed decades ago as a mid-level KGB officer. His domestic and foreign policies based on manipulation, blackmail and intimidation are typical KGB tactics. The Russians' revanchism after the collapse of the USSR elevated the KGBist to the pinnacle of power. No one was better able to respond to the popular demand by promising the envious and miserable Russians restoration of empire, revenge and overthrowing the wealthy and successful West.

The West willingly or unwillingly played along with Putin, demonizing his image and inflating the traits of a negative hero to cosmic proportions. Perhaps this was a clever long-term strategy: the more bubble is inflated, the easier the bubble bursts. 

Strangely enough, the Ukrainians were not among the fans of Putin-Surkov's theater, and did not want to play along in their vulgar play.

• Camber Sands for glorious (if crowded) sandy beaches. The tides can be strong and fast though
  • Hastings Old Town for secondhand browsing, fish & chips (I recommend Maggie’s) and the miniature railway/funicular
  • Rye - historic town vibes
  • Various castles / Bodiam, Lewes, Herstmonceux
  • Brighton - shopping and a bit of hip life, visit Dawson Denim
  • Take a ride on the Kent & East Sussex heritage railway or one of the others
  • Drink tea, moan about the weather, watch cricket
  • Buy/drink some English wine or visit the vineyard - I recommend Chapel Down
  • The list is endless!
Edited by Maynard Friedman

2 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Thanks folks!
Yes, Beachy Head was on our list and we saw a small zoo in the area. Rye noted as well. Maybe some castles...Of course a lot depends on the weather. Especially since we are going at the end of April :D 

On 1/30/2023 at 1:36 PM, ranonranonarat said:

he could also visit this roundabout and spend a few hours in there!

F1EF7229-29CE-408E-B04A-CE395C42ABC7.jpeg

This roundabout is about 40 minutes drive from me and it's the easiest roundabout to negotiate in the world. In fact, you dont have to go round anything, just point your car where it wants to go and sort of drive in a straightish line. Job done 

Edited by Dr_Heech

2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Thanks folks!
Yes, Beachy Head was on our list and we saw a small zoo in the area. Rye noted as well. Maybe some castles...Of course a lot depends on the weather. Especially since we are going at the end of April :D 

no probs; beware: Beachy Head has a real steep decline at its apex if I recall: not something you want anything with wheels too near...

Today's boredom inspired musings..

.. as i was queuing to pay in the vintage shop on Saturday.. in front of me was a stunningly attractive young woman.. i'd guess her age at 19.. she paid and left.. i paid and left, when i got outside there was a 4 or 5 blokes in their late 50s waiting to get in the boozer next door.. one of them spotted this woman crossing the road and reminiscent of the 1970s, said Phwoar!! to his friends..  :rolleyes: to which his friend replied "tha gets some reyt fanny down here tha'knows"

... what? who does? i thought to myself .. these were in no way charming, poorly dressed, overweight footy fans.. loosing their hair, loosing their sight, lost the ability to see their own penis without the aid of a mirror and possibly even lost a few teeth.. in what kind of distorted reality are they living in? :D
Edited by Double 0 Soul

15 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Happy birthday Charlie aka @Dr_Heech. You’ve caught up to me again!

Hope you had a good one yesterday, Martin and aren't feeling too shoddy?

Yes ... 55 today - thought about wearing my lvc 55's to match but since have dug out the SC47's so hopefully get a snap of them later in situ (Mrs_Heech is down so can take some as l'm bloody useless with the selfie taking :D)

47 definitely sounds better than 55 tho.