Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ha awesome! .. I wouldn't want to drive it around a corner

..reminds me of this ridiculous monstrosity i spotted recently on a street of terrace houses

fullsizeoutput_36bd.thumb.jpeg.d90297beb1492483e11f15cf22e0f877.jpeg

..what the actual fuck?

Unfortunately, that’s the smaller of the Hummers you can buy over here. They seem less trendy in recent years but monstrosity is accurate. You can thank General Motors not too far from me for this silliness. They now have an electric one you can buy! Give the people what they want…I guess? 

You don't see many Hummers in the UK.. our roads are simply not wide enough so owning one (much like any other 4wd) is just beyond selfish.. that street of terrace houses where it was parked was built in the 1880s before the car existed so there is no off street parking and that bell end is taking up 2 parking spaces :rolleyes:

Even modern normie cars have become too wide (keeping the driver safe at all times) the new Mini is wider than my 'massive' Volvo 240 so they encroach in the cycle lanes.. This is Clarkehouse road on my route home.. the orange is cycle lane so i'm dueling it out with 1.5 tonnes of car traveling at 30mph

The good folks blocking the cycle lane on the opposite side of the street are dropping their kids off at King Edwards school .. where Michael Palin was educated.

fullsizeoutput_37a9.thumb.jpeg.e9c7b6610eae5fe53d0955071d2cdb53.jpeg

..the only way it can work is if the cars drive up to the white line but when another car is coming in the other direction nervous nellies don't want to clip their precious vehicle.. they'd rather clip me instead.

fullsizeoutput_37a8.thumb.jpeg.04b229175e1f4369242669e2c84d5d8e.jpeg

..so add ever more massive metal boxes into the mix and you've I've got problems.. maybe i'm just a selfish road user :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Here’s a Reflection and Blunder for you…

I ordered a pair of Cane’s from Self Edge on 29th November 2022 ;)  and they’ve still not arrived. 
I can thank the Royal Mail for this Blunder…the Reflection is that I still want the jeans, so hey-ho, I suppose they’ll arrive eventually 

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

I ordered a pair of Cane’s from Self Edge on 29th November 2022 ;)  and they’ve still not arrived. 
I can thank the Royal Mail for this Blunder…the Reflection is that I still want the jeans, so hey-ho, I suppose they’ll arrive eventually 

Shipment from Self Edge is at the top of my list of slowest ever, it took about three months 3 or 4 years ago. There's probably no point in mentioning that the actual measurements of the jeans (it was The Strike Gold, which I had to sell) were seriously smaller than measurements listed on the website. Kiya promised a discount on my next purchase, but over the following years I never bothered to order again from them.

21 minutes ago, Talan said:

Shipment from Self Edge is at the top of my list of slowest ever, it took about three months 3 or 4 years ago. There's probably no point in mentioning that the actual measurements of the jeans (it was The Strike Gold, which I had to sell) were seriously smaller than measurements listed on the website. Kiya promised a discount on my next purchase, but over the following years I never bothered to order again from them.

I’m sorry to hear about that. 
Just to clarify- this isn’t a situation that’s Self Edge can control at all. It’s related to strike action by union members of the Royal Mail here in the UK. 

9 hours ago, UkeNo said:

I’m sorry to hear about that. 
Just to clarify- this isn’t a situation that’s Self Edge can control at all. It’s related to strike action by union members of the Royal Mail here in the UK. 

Yes, I heard about the Royal Mail strike. A few days ago I received a parcel that was sent from the UK at the very end of November, in just under a month, despite the strikes, the holidays season, the war and the rocket attacks in Ukraine. By the way, the denim sent from Self Edge was horribly packaged - the jeans only in a cardboard box, no plastic wrap or sleeve. It's a good thing it didn't get wet anywhere along the way.

18 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Not only that but there are worker shortages with USPS, UPS, etc, here in the US. Because of this mail delivery has been wildly inconsistent 

On 12/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

New Year's Denim Resolution 2023 anyone?!

I'm not one for annual resolutions but the overall goal now is to wear what I have... I have enough and need to make better use of it all 

The challenge is there's an almost continuous stream of good stuff to be found and I like buying new stuff!!

To keep me entertained, I've got a bit of new kit coming in...

Pre-ordered the new TCB blanket-lined chore, due by early Feb

And a Warehouse Lot 453 hoody – with separate pockets, allegedly 30s/40s design - arrived today from Toronto, Lost and Found

Yep all the way from Toronto and still £50 cheaper than buying in London!!    

9 hours ago, MJF9 said:

I'm not one for annual resolutions but the overall goal now is to wear what I have... I have enough and need to make better use of it all 

The challenge is there's an almost continuous stream of good stuff to be found and I like buying new stuff!!   

This sums my mindset up going into the new year pretty well

I did however have to stop paying attention to the Warehouse catalog ... I have so many pairs of Warehouse I might actually need one to store them all 

hoping to stick to the few pairs I've got in rotation now and update sufu with higher quality photos 2023

On 1/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, MJF9 said:

Pre-ordered the new TCB blanket-lined chore, due by early Feb

Looking forward to living vicariously through you, with this one…

Was away from my computer for the entirety of the preorder and missed my chance, but may still try and get Ryo to hold one for me if there ends up being any extra stock

I’m now entering my 6th year of not buying any new clothing B)

In other news.. I’ve just been looking through some old paperwork at work and found this photo from 2008

8D0E7F97-08F9-45B3-8AA1-57DDE0D4F98A.thumb.jpeg.29e9d964ebd39df0cbd992ae46edbb0d.jpeg

I’m stood next to a core box for a valve body I’d recently finished making.. I’m wearing an already battered pair of Sugarcane Okinawa with a Precinct 13 tee over a l/s thermal with Karrimor hiking boots

790993BC-8C29-469C-A52C-70294CE4E7B1.thumb.jpeg.28049f36f3fed39ec5b8207f9188481d.jpeg

I also found this 4pg excerpt from Sufu I printed off in 17/06/2008 of the Zipangu Treasures thread, from where I bought a Cushman sweat.

01EABB1C-EB3F-4574-8BA6-2BFA8975A17F.thumb.jpeg.a72e22e416927add2eacd506b65fa6e3.jpeg

Zipangu Treasures where one of the first proxy services, they used to advertise goods on eBay with the offer of ‘we can source anything from Japan.. alas they were mad expensive..

F65D1A4B-6A29-409C-BC90-7C97F980F8A3.thumb.jpeg.12221105f96adfaa31260d776b4dccca.jpeg

..remember when kiya actually used to post on the forum :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 1/2/2023 at 7:10 PM, UkeNo said:

And they’re here - Delivered by Royal Mail on a Sunday - they’re catching up with the backlog which is impressive. 
I like the fit and details, maybe should have had more hemmed off? Currently drying from a soak. 

CB3261C4-66CC-4090-B343-18F840D4F11E.jpeg

Edited by UkeNo

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Looks like you had to size up a bit there. Do they come up very small?

They do. I’m typically a size 34 - with a 33” waist. These are a tad loose, I think I could have gotten away with a tag 34 in hindsight, but they’ve not seen a warm machine wash yet, and I was recommended to go up.

Think they’ll see a bit more shrink yet. 

Can't remember, do we have a deals sort of thread?

Anyway, the post from @oomslokop regarding the comeback of raw denim brought me to SSENSE and to see that the Taiga Takahashi stuff is heavily reduced. The designer died last year at the age of only 27. Feels a bit morbid/impious to see his designs for sale.

https://www.ssense.com/en-de/men/designers/taiga-takahashi

4 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Can't remember, do we have a deals sort of thread?

Anyway, the post from @oomslokop regarding the comeback of raw denim brought me to SSENSE and to see that the Taiga Takahashi stuff is heavily reduced. The designer died last year at the age of only 27. Feels a bit morbid/impious to see his designs for sale.

https://www.ssense.com/en-de/men/designers/taiga-takahashi

Sorry for the dour take in advance, but the fashion industry, esp the sort that runs outlets like that don't have ethics or morals though. They either sell it or chuck it to the landfill. Sometimes the designers, creatives, and other individuals involved are a different story, but as a machine - esp when you get to the larger entities, there is no conscience only $.

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

I'm not bunging up the 'how many pairs' thread with anymore of my nostalgic nonsense..(tfft i hear you say) so i'll move it here :D

Remember that jacket MF released covered with offensive Vietnamese caricatures? what the actual fuck!

..after the backlash, they ended up going out without the patches.. if i recall, there was small yellow vietnamese caricatures with exagerated eyes and wide toothy smiles eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks while being hit on the head with a bomb.. it was just beyond offensive :rolleyes: i think he unpicked them all.. i bet his garage is still full of them.

..and remember those folks who had massive Mister Freedom forearm tattoos? they're not going to date well.. unlike my giant 'Goombay Dance Band' back tatt.. that'll never go out of fashion!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

A small handful of them got sold before the backlash that I’ve seen come up on eBay. 
I’ve heard some interesting stories about how mean and terrible Christophe can be. A Jekyll and Hyde so to speak