Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

A couple of days ago a tent popped up on the wasteland next to my work.. I assumed it was a homeless dude but I’ve just walked past and there’s a massive dog in there! 

What the heck! they don’t even have opposable thumbs?

It could be one of those pop up tents. All you need to do is push the button l think? and a paw would do the job.

Was it a one-dog or two-dog tent? It may have had help and there could be another canine lurking around. Alternatively, it could be a one-man-and-his-dog tent and the pooch got a bit peckish. Keep us updated on the situation…

I’ve never been anywhere in Europe before

I’m talking at a conference in Munich, next month, and I’ve given myself a couple of weeks afterwards to explore around the area. No real concrete plans, yet—& I’m sort of hoping to keep it that way—but I think it would be nice to take a train down to Italy for at least a few days, too

Any recommendations for things to do in the area, around this time of year? I’m used to road tripping around the US, so “in the area” can be interpreted pretty loosely—really anything within a half day or a day, by train, is probably fair game

Also: Good hostels to stay at? Good meat / cheese / baked goods?

@julian-wolf

baked goods: pretzels, like the real ones, bavarian ones, swabian ones, taste both and make yourself an opinion, if you are in swabia: "Briegel" & "Seelen", maybe "Dinnete", if you are in Baden or the alsace tarte flambe or "flammkuchen", "zwiebelkuchen" is also a big thing around these parts, but you might be a little late for it. classically with fresh wine. 
If possible try the whole grain breads, usually made in rectangle molds, lots of grains, sometimes nuts and stuff ;)

cheese: lots and lots of tiny cheesemakers in the alps between munich and italy, sometimes takes a good hike to get there, but you should try it out. 

4 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

That's whole Germany for you :D

Though the same @beautiful_FrEaK :D 

anything withing a half day or day by train is pretty much: slovenia, austria, switzerland, the swabish and badish regions, even northern germany takes about 8 hours via ICE train. Maybe even try out the alsace, right across the border of Baden. 
you could visit lake constance, the alps and the black forest and the vosges in a matter of 4 days if you rent a car. 

Edited by Thanks_M8

The BMW museum in Munich is great. I'm personally a big fan of the Alps too, can be a bit rainy this time of year though.

On another note, can anyone recommend any good repro sweatshirts or hoodies other than Warehouse or Real McCoys? I'm curious what other good options are out there.

6 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

I’ll also throw in the runabout goods standard sweatshirt. 

I like the Runabout; gusset is inset (getting harder to find these days), but it's not loopwheeled if that's a deciding factor.

Buzz Rickson I like for the fit – probably my favourite in this regard – but gusset is now overlocked on top of the existing fabric (apparently this was not always the case); loopwheeled

Whitesville (another Toyo sub-brand), nice details (gusset checks out and is made from nice heavy ribbed fabric, as are cuffs and waistband), loopwheeled but rather stiff fabric and sloppy fit if you go for your usual size (I'm generally a 44, but 42 or maybe even 40 would get me closer to the fit I prefer)

Studio D'Artisan do one that seems identical to the Whitesville, but the fabric is softer – not sure if mine is the "Suvin Gold" or not. Could just be that I've washed it more than the Whitesville. Nice sweat, fairly sure it's the one worn by Liam Neeson in one of the Taken films (where he's also sporting some tastefully faded Levi's)

Cushman – great details, "freedom" sleeves (like a fancy raglan), good gussets front and back, lovely sweat but not so easy to come by

Sunray Sportswear – lovely soft loopwheeled fabric, gusset not genuine but develops subtle horizontal ridging after a wash or two. I have two or three of these and they're unsung wardrobe heroes – my 15 y.o. son will always go for them if he needs to borrow something. He likes "blurple" (as he describes the faded Real McCoy's blue), but not to wear. I know RMC are already on the radar, but they are probably my favourite for overall character of the fabric as it ages – the fading and texture elevate them to "favourite denim" status for me. The Ball Park sweats are overkill for life in Australia, but they're built like a brick shithouse and age beautifully... unless there's been a drop in quality... I think mine might be quite old; like most of my purchases, I got it second hand.

On 11/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, julian-wolf said:

I’m talking at a conference in Munich, next month, and I’ve given myself a couple of weeks afterwards to explore around the area. No real concrete plans, yet—& I’m sort of hoping to keep it that way—but I think it would be nice to take a train down to Italy for at least a few days, too

Any recommendations for things to do in the area, around this time of year? I’m used to road tripping around the US, so “in the area” can be interpreted pretty loosely—really anything within a half day or a day, by train, is probably fair game

The time before Christmas would by quite hectic in Europe. Being in Munich I would think about going to Vienna (and Salzburg) for couple of days. Or Switzerland. The weather would be cold though, around 30 Fahrenheit. Snowy most probably. Trains are expensive. Flixbus might be an option for budget trips to anywhere in Europe sans Switzerland. 

On 11/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, julian-wolf said:

There is a relatively new train directly to Venice from Munich.
For baked goods in Munich, Hofpfisterei is a good standard for Brezen or bread.
As others said you can reach many areas of Europe within a day. In Germany you could reach every pcket as well (Berlin has a 5 hour train connection). So it depends what you would like to explore. For a light hike/nature there is the Bayerischer Wald for example.

7 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

surfing the 'bay and finding This Guy selling what looks like the whole collection/wardrobe
obvs. not me ;)

While I was looking and trying to figure out if I needed it in a size that would likely be a little tight, someone was quicker in getting CSF...:huh:

The choice of jeans and brands makes me think the person is quite well into Japanese jeans. The description of the items however and wrong brand names is astonishing. Also the quite feminine hands. So maybe it's a professional selling agent selling a collection or the wife thought it's just too much :D

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

One of my greatest fears is Sarah selling off my vintage Sugarcane collection for what I told her I paid for them :D

all of us are just trying to outlive at least one other person on this forum so we can take advantage of sales like these. 

On 11/16/2022 at 6:28 PM, Thanks_M8 said:

cheese: lots and lots of tiny cheesemakers in the alps between munich and italy, sometimes takes a good hike to get there, but you should try it out.

Do you have any particular recommendations? This seems right up my alley as a day trip

Also, for anyone who's spent time around Southern or Central Germany: Recommendations for hostels or other easy places to stay?

Landed this morning, and having a great time so far