Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

$76k for a pair of vintage jeans….  
I’m not a vintage buyer/seller so I’m curious. Say you buy these jeans what’s the next step? Bragging rights? Are their many people willing to spend that much or more for vintage jeans?   
the whole durangovintagefest vids on IG showing people absolutely going nuts to grab as much as they can out of huge mounds of clothing just has me a bit disgusted. Maybe this is how the vintage world has been for years? But it’s just sad to me honestly. 
Rant over. 

17 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

’m pretty sure that the person that bought that pair will treat it more as a piece of art rather than a piece of clothing. 

Probably true - and then to attempt to answer @shredwin_206's question (disclosure - I am not and never have been much interested in the vintage market, but I am familiar with the art market - as a maker, not much a buyer, at least of "valuable" pieces) - bragging rights is the most likely scenario - sometimes that overlaps with just really loving something and wanting to own it out of passion. People get off on that (forgetting we're all just borrowing, really). Most valuable art in private acquisition sits in warehouses or other barely visible places - if we're lucky it's lended to public institutions. But generally its hoarded. Not sure (but possible) about the vintage market, but there are a lot of great reasons to own expensive art from a tax liability perspective. With pieces hitting 5 figures or more in value, that may come into play as well. 

Surely they felt like they could a) make some money b) own a piece of history they're a huge nerd about c) design. seems like there is a correlation between being a designer/brand owner and buying super rare clothes... hmmmmmmm

Really not surprised by the sale price

On 10/2/2022 at 4:51 PM, shredwin_206 said:

$76k for a pair of vintage jeans….  
I’m not a vintage buyer/seller so I’m curious. Say you buy these jeans what’s the next step? Bragging rights? Are their many people willing to spend that much or more for vintage jeans?   
the whole durangovintagefest vids on IG showing people absolutely going nuts to grab as much as they can out of huge mounds of clothing just has me a bit disgusted. Maybe this is how the vintage world has been for years? But it’s just sad to me honestly. 
Rant over. 

Clearly a case of someone with more money than sense. I know all of us will easily spend $200-300+ on jeans or flannel but I would argue that these items are worn and abused by all of us. 

43 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

Clearly a case of someone with more money than sense. I know all of us will easily spend $200-300+ on jeans or flannel but I would argue that these items are worn and abused by all of us. 

I wouldn't, actually - at least not all, probably not even most. There are very few here who seem to only have what they need and who take jeans through their whole life. Nothing wrong with this necessarily, but one look at people's collections and the fact that many are not involved in physically grueling work most of the time is pretty clear. There's a spectrum for all of these things (a collection of new japanese denim doesn't seem as intense) but many more new/mid life jeans here than fully trashed or ones with little life left - myself included here, much as I'd like to I do not live up to that standard.

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I wouldn't, actually - at least not all, probably not even most. There are very few here who seem to only have what they need and who take jeans through their whole life. Nothing wrong with this necessarily, but one look at people's collections and the fact that many are not involved in physically grueling work most of the time is pretty clear. There's a spectrum for all of these things (a collection of new japanese denim doesn't seem as intense) but many more new/mid life jeans here than fully trashed or ones with little life left - myself included here, much as I'd like to I do not live up to that standard.

When I first got into the denim scene I went out and bought at least 10 pairs of jeans. I thought at the time that I’d wear them all and rotate. That never happened, unfortunately. I basically started to rotate only 2 pairs per year and I’m still beating the crap out of them. They’ve both reached the point of needing repairs. My jeans haven’t reached Shredwin’s level of destruction but they’re getting there. 

1 hour ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

If I’m not wrong he only bought 10% of the jeans. He went 90/10 with another guy. Or at least that’s what I got from the auction video. 

No idea on ratios mate , just know it was him and a vintage dealer 

6 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

If I’m not wrong he only bought 10% of the jeans. He went 90/10 with another guy. Or at least that’s what I got from the auction video. 

Interesting, the jeans have a minority stakeholder. Anyone know if they’re doing an IPO? ;)

Edited by Iron Horse

The thing that bothers me about the vintage denim scene is how most of this stuff is acquired. It’s usually pickers going to old peoples houses in rural America and begging them to let them go “old clothes” then offering a few hundred dollars for garbage bags full of buckle backs and type 1 jackets.

^ I think that is a bit of an over-simplification and exaggeration. Some pickers still may operate that way, but for every "once in a lifetime" ($2.00 type-1 at an estate sale) finds, there are an exponential number of busts and dead-ends even for the most experienced. I do agree with you for the most part about a certain few being the assholes who dig through peoples barns/ dilapidated-looking houses without permission and taking anything they find, which is stealing. If you don't have permission to be there, you shouldn't be taking anything either which seems like common sense... Primarily seems concentrated in an new generation who saw hype on social media about inflated rap-tee & after-hood sweatshirt prices and fancy themselves as pickers but don't know or care to learn anything about etiquette, whether at the bins or other approaches

What else is new? I’ve never heard of that company, but they look like some sort of designer fashion deal—they’d probably be charging in the same ballpark with or without the cashmere. The target audience is used to expecting a 10x markup

Sugar Cane did wool-blend jeans a few years ago for $200

Edited by julian-wolf

5 hours ago, Geeman said:

Ran the Amsterdam half marathon today,  after 2 weeks of man flu and wisdom tooth issues. 

Fucking ruined me. 

That's rough. I did a marathon when I was 19 and even though I trained properly I thought..."never again" - I've stuck to it!

Hope you feel better soon. No one can say you're not determined.