Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I don't imagine I'll ever get tired of wearing fancy denim, hopefully enough brands making fits that work for me will be around in the future that I can keep doing this for a long time. I still check in for a few minutes most days, but haven't found a lot to say lately. When I have a nicely-faded pair to share, I take nice pictures and post them, but otherwise find myself at somewhat of a loss for words. To be honest, a lot of the time I look on here just hoping to see pictures of a really well-faded pair or two, but it seems rare these days.

As I got really into coffee this year, I feel like what the denim community is really missing is our equivalent of James Hoffman on YouTube, a well-spoken, articulate person who creates high quality content effectively acting as an ambassador for the entire hobby. 

Yeah I haven't been impressed by YT denim people, to the extent you can call them that, in part because it mostly feels like thinly-veiled advertisements for "sponsors." Maybe that's inevitable for a "fashion" related hobby. In comparison to the earlier coffee reference, there's not a lot of "technique" involved with jeans, you pretty much put them on your legs and wear them, and while washing is a bit of a topic it only takes what, five minutes to run through? But people will never get tired of talking about how to make the perfect espresso or whatever.

The problem I have with most denim influencers is how perfectly staged and planned everything is. It just comes off as disingenuous and forced.
I've also been conditioned to assume most everything is also sponsored in some capacity, so I can't be bothered with caring about the content. It's just ad money or free shit.
I think we stand at a crossroads, since we all mostly came into this hobby genuinely. While many of the other people stepping up and presenting themselves as "influential" might not have.
Not saying it's true in every case, as I have met some who are genuine people but at the same time have found a hobby that's marketable for them.

26 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

there's not a lot of "technique" involved with jeans, you pretty much put them on your legs and wear them

Exactly this.
And then you have these videos of "the best 5 brands" or "the 3 brands you never have heard of". Yeah this stuff is probably targeted at beginners and with some gouys you surely will find these repeated myths of how to care or how to "ruin" a pair.

Sufu is enough. I like it because it’s essentially stuck in 2007, when the internet wasn’t a total consumerist ad driven wasteland. All of my other interests had good forums then that mostly died because everyone just migrated to QVC. I mean Instagram. Yea, there are ads here, even a few threads that function entirely as ads (does anyone actually read those?) - and yea, spending time here can make one want to buy shit, but one can only wear so many jeans. I have not seen one attempted denim driven social media personality that didn’t make me cringe. They’re all just product reviewers.

I really feel sorry for anyone who didn’t come into this genuinely and is trying it on as an influencer angle. This is a weird interest and there are thousands of better hats to try on in that regard. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

Personally I find Instagram great for following vintage collectors, shopping for/selling vintage clothing, filling my drool cup as I scroll mindlessly

and If you're someone who is used to the format of sufu or forums in general you will naturally tune out influencers, how to cuff your jeans posts, etc. I just can't imagine anyone who frequents sufu paying attention to denim dude influencers

Countless great threads to sift through still being updated in 2022. Years of your questions already being answered...and if you had an original unanswered question who here would go on instagram before asking someone here? 

Those here who do use instagram myself included use instagram as more of an extension for sufu posts it seems. More of an afterthought

Yes have to agree with @scooby, for me, Instagram is good for viewing vintage denim collections (ok ok and cool car crashes, buidings falling down and dancing girls :laugh2:) but essentially, denim pieces l will never see in real life and more importantly, details of which l would never have found out otherwise. Back in the late 1980's and even well into the early 2000's, dealers and sellers would never give that info up so it's beneficial in that sense. However, as has been mentioned, lg is becoming increasingly loaded with influencer shite and meaningless ads. (Hey l have about 450 followers but only know/chat to about 3% of them). But anyone with at least half a potato for a brain just scrolls on by surely, so who is being 'influenced' by these people is beyond me.

And @AlientoyWorkmachine l wish sufu was stuck in 2007, the vintage prices were so much more affordable!

Edited by Dr_Heech

20 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Sufu is enough. I like it because it’s essentially stuck in 2007, when the internet wasn’t a total consumerist ad driven wasteland. All of my other interests had good forums then that mostly died because everyone just migrated to QVC. I mean Instagram. Yea, there are ads here, even a few threads that function entirely as ads (does anyone actually read those?) - and yea, spending time here can make one want to buy shit, but one can only wear so many jeans. I have not seen one attempted denim driven social media personality that didn’t make me cringe. They’re all just product reviewers.

I really feel sorry for anyone who didn’t come into this genuinely and is trying it on as an influencer angle. This is a weird interest and there are thousands of better hats to try on in that regard. 

100% agree, I've been on internet forums since 1999 or so, for video games and various other hobbies/interests, and it really feels like the big corporate platforms like Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, Discord etc. ruined the niche communities for specific hobbies which used to have such unique communal atmospheres centered around forums, it was organic and natural in a way that kids who've used Reddit their whole lives aren't really going to understand, and the cumulative base of knowledge is just much more accessible somewhere like SuFu compared to the here today, gone tomorrow nature of Reddit. 

The Internet used to be somewhere to share and obtain knowledge, now it feels like it mostly exists to harvest and sell your data to the highest bidder.

Have to agree with all the above points, instagram just feels like an endless " totally not sponsored" advertisement at times and the communities of reddit and discord seem to get clamored with a groupthink that veers in a direction I am not crazy about. When you have any kind of community centered around a commodity it can easily morph into a hyper-consumption competition, which I feel like Sufu resists well due to it's significantly smaller but dedicated overall user base. There is still a solid core of people active here who sincerely care about the things they own for the details and not just for how they appear to others, eager to exchange knowledge and not just compete for upvotes. I am not much of an active poster on here but I pretty much lurk daily and find this to be pretty much one of the few social platforms that doesn't make my brain feel mushy after more than 15 minutes 

This is definitely not a new question and has probably been answered multiple times...heck, there is probably even a dedicated thread for this question but who knows?

So what is your "white whale" pair of jeans? Which pair you look for? Probably a pair of deadstock 501XX? ;)

For me personally (as you might have guessed) it would be a pair of Denime and namely the Kyoto Edition. They were hard to come by even when they were still produced but nowadays, I think it's a lost battle.

So what about you?

On 9/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

So what is your "white whale" pair of jeans? Which pair you look for? Probably a pair of deadstock 501XX? ;)

I'm very boring and predictable. Definitely a pair of DS 501XX, but more realistically, l would love to find a pair of single stitch small e in a 36x36 in unworn/unwashed condition.

That's my white whale.

Edited by Dr_Heech

Saw some deadstock fh3005xx red tab, but for $900 on yahoo auctions.my white whale is also the sugarcane natural indigo with the dragon patch, sc40500 , and lvc 701sxx, but it seems that about all left are very small sizes

Edited by lyraman

1st edition rising sun blacksmith when it was still made in the pasadena haberdashery on all vintage single needle machine and the denim was different with blue/black line selvedge and random pocket bag fabric. found one secondhand from a malaysian seller on grailed some years ago but his rep was a bit dodgy so baulked at the offer. tried one on at the old unionville now second sunrise in stockholm back in early 2010s but didn't get them becoz at that time it felt too much miner cosplay for me (maybe influenced by unionville's goldrush ambience :D). didn't realise it blends in well with normal clothing. eternal regret. 

Probably a pair of Roy SF01’s, one of the few that I haven’t been able to track down, along with a few of the shirts that I missed along the way (original chambray, Portland and Big Bro). More recently I’d like to get my hands on a pair of FW 601XX 1922’s.

I'm jumping on the Roy train and say that I've always regretted passing on any of the Big Bro releases, the Peanuts jean and the very last release with the different deadstock fabrics. I do have a few pairs that unfortunately dont fit me or dont fit me how I like them to now but I just keep them in a box with all the other clothes to give to me kids later haha 

I also have always wanted the Flat Head Ring Ring jean and really regretted not getting a pair although now I'm not so sure I would like the fit now. I still would love to just have it as part of the collection. Maybe I'll want slim jeans again when I turn 40 in a couple years....

Levin Scheme

I drooled over them for literally years and ran Yahoo searches every week without fail.. One day a DS pair were listed for sale with an opening bid of 40,000¥ (which doesn’t seem like a lot nowadays but it was back then.. I sold other stuff to fund the purchase) someone bid the 40k in the first few days but no other bids.. early Western River were selling for 60,000¥ so that was my target... I transferred the yen to Zen and got up early for the auction end, not wanting to risk any hiccups, I chose to bid myself.. made coffee.. pressed refresh.. refresh.. refresh...

Ooooh exciting! 6mins to go and no other bids, then the auction suddenly finished before I had a chance to place my bid, wtf! 

Early finish had been selected, I was more of a Yahoo novice back then and didn’t fully understand the implications... Aaaah! fuck!!

I had to msg flash for a shoulder to cry on :D

I’m not planning on buying any more jeans at all. I’m stocked for life as long as I don’t gain too much weight (or lose it, though that’s unlikely).

If the denim gods granted me one more ‘realistic’ pair, my choice would be the Endeavor ‘monkey patch’ jeans that I first became aware of via @k449 back in 2010ish. They were only ¥6k and I had an order for a pair via Hide San but they were sold out in my size. When they became available again they’d tripled in price (or something like that) so I never bothered but I wish I had as now it seems they’ve gone for good.

D5E57F0B-478F-4B55-9169-10A4246478A2.jpeg

On 9/14/2022 at 12:52 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

This is definitely not a new question and has probably been answered multiple times...heck, there is probably even a dedicated thread for this question but who knows?

For me personally (as you might have guessed) it would be a pair of Denime and namely the Kyoto Edition. They were hard to come by even when they were still produced but nowadays, I think it's a lost battle.

So what about you?

Although I'm completely out priced at this point, a pair of 1946 501XX's would be me grail (any condition really).

As far as the repro game, I'm lucky to own all I need from Ooe. Would've been nice to experience their #13 or #36 denim though in an 03XX cut...